Search

Pass Ports

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2005, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pass Ports

I just found out today that starting in Jan 06 everyone traveling to the caribbean will require a passport, (IN USA). And get this, the kids will need one too. That means a substantual outlay of $$$ to get everyone on board. Birth certificates are no longer valid for customs, even for kids! I'am also told the kids passport is only good for 5 years. Adults 10 years. Just a reminder for all planning trips next year. ron
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 04:06 PM
Sunnyboy

Actually, the new regulations go into effect January 1, 2006. As of that date all US Citizens will need a passport to "get back into the US" if they are comming from the Caribbean or Mexico and not necessarily to get "into a foreign country" although many islands do require you to have a passport.. This change in policy was announced several months ago.

Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 09:35 AM

Children 15 and under are good for 5 years, all others 10 years. Get one now, some islands have complied before the Jan date. Lines were hugely longer in Miami customs yesterday for those not traveling with valid passport.
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 05:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I think it is a good thing for everyone to have a passport these days.
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

I'am all for passports for adults. But, I think the added expense to have the kids require one is a bit much. Birth certificates should be allowed. Just my 2 cents. ron
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 06:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I even think it is a good idea for kids to have them, BUT I wish they would make it more economical for the kid ones. My kids need their's renewed this year and they of course were very young in the original ones. The costs keep going up instead of down. It would be great if they could make them more reasonable for children. I believe it is safer to have everyone have them, even kids.
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 04:28 PM

This should not be a surprise to anyone. Our daughter got her first passport at 6 months old. Child passports are only good for five years because children's appearances change quickly and they are less expensive than adult passports. Many of these changes are necessary to comply with rules attempting to prevent illegal child trafficing and to prevent non-custodial parents from leaving the country with their child without the consent of the custodial parent. A child's passport will (generally) not be issued without the consent of both parents and unless a child is travelling with both parents, the travelling parent is supposed to have written consent from the absent parent to take the child across a border. All this make sense to me.