Palm Island Question

Old Mar 9th, 2004, 04:39 PM
wby
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Palm Island Question

My husband & I are leaving for Palm Island in a few days. We were told that the flight from Barbados to Union Island has a luggage weight limit of 42 pounds per person. We can't get a definite answer as to what happens if we exceed that weight. Does anyone know if there is a charge for additional pounds and/or are you allowed to take a carry-on and have additional luggage sent over at a later time. Do they charge you if that is done?
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 05:27 AM
SC

I wouldn't be too concerned. You will not have to leave your baggage behind. If you are flying SVG Airlines, you can go to their website: http://www.svgair.com and check it out. They are quite laid back and friendly.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 01:28 PM

Mustique Airways, SVG Air and TIA Air have recently combined operations. One consequence of this is a new practice of charging for overweight luggage at $1US a pound. This is applied somewhat haphazardly, however. As I travel very lightly, I didn't pay too much attention to this news but, if I remember correctly, the weight limit people were talking about was 70lb. Where did you hear about 42 lb? Perhaps that is the limit per bag???

Don't worry if some luggage doesn't make it on the flight...it will make it the next day at the latest.

As a caution, however, I alsways have a very small carryon holding the minimum that I need to take me through the first night and day.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 07:09 PM

Curiousx is right. Don't worry - pack what you need in a carry-on and the rest will get there the following day. Have never had a problem and I've been going there for over 30 years. Say hello to my parents for me - they're homeowners - Jim and Ruth if you wander down the island.
Old Mar 13th, 2004, 12:07 PM
wby
Original Poster

Thanks to all who have responded. In answer to curiousx's question, I received that information on the cover letter of my trip package from Elite Island Vacations. Their letter stated "The maximum amount of luggage you are allowed to bring on the flight to Union Island is 20 kilograms (or about 40 pounds PER PERSON.)" I queried them via email for additional information and they responded with the 42 lbs figure. We are flying TIA.

Note to Conway73: I will say hello to your parents if I see them. Also, I responded to your post by email. If there is still a need, I leave 16 Mar from Baltimore (BWI).
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 06:34 AM

wby,
Did not receive your email. If it was about the keys, the mail arrived (it only took two weeks!). I may have deleted it if I didn't know the sender. Spoke to my dad yesterday and it was 83 on Palm. They leave on Saturday after having been there since mid-January. I'm sure they're ready for hair cuts!
Have a great trip. Bring lots of sunblock and books! You may email me again if you'd like - put Palm Island in the subject line so I don't delete it this time.
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 05:09 PM

WBY - Heard you stopped by and said hello to Mom. Hope you had a great time on Palm!
Old Apr 9th, 2004, 05:02 PM
wby
Original Poster

Returned from Palm Island on 3/25. Our luggage was overweight and we did not get charged extra on the flight from Barbados to Union Island. However, we did get charged on the way back, about one-dollar(US) per pound. We had a GREAT vacation and look forward to returning. Note to Conway73: Your mother was understandable guarded as a pair of strangers walked up to her and asked if her name was Ruth. We were pleased that we were able to find her and relay your greetings.
Old Apr 11th, 2004, 05:24 AM

Glad you had a great time. It's not a place for everyone but I sure do love it there.
Old Apr 11th, 2004, 09:17 AM

wby, could you give us a trip report? I'd love to hear about your accomodations & meals, mosquito situation, weather etc. We have gone to PSV & have wondered if Palm would be a good reason to return to the area. Thanks!