Opinions on island where it's all about the beach

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2003, 05:59 PM
caribtraveler

Hi,
We're deciding on our next vacation. We're looking for an island where there isn't much to do but to enjoy the beach or beaches. Reason: we'll be with our 2-year-old. We wouldn't want to go to an island that has lots to do and regret not being able to do all or most of it because of him.
An island similar to St. John would be great.
Anguilla is top on our list, followed by Turks & Caicos. To those who've been there, are they good choices?
Any other suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Old Dec 9th, 2003, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd suggest some of the Out Islands in the Bahamas, Abaco, Eleuthera, Harbour Island, Cat Island, all very laid back.

Harbour Island was named the best beach by the Travel Channel this year and it certainly is all about the beach there, and the laid backness of the whole island.

Have a great trip.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 08:20 PM

VIRGIN GORDA OR ANY OF THE BVI'S
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 08:24 PM

Hi caribtraveler,

I must agree with wantsomesun, the out islands of the Bahamas are some of the best unspoiled, quiet (notalotofothers)
beaches you'll find.

We were there last April and rented a boat for our stay on Elbow Cay and it was one of the most beautiful areas. We really would like to return to explore even more.

Happy planning@
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 03:03 AM

Provo in the Turks and Caicos should suit your wishes. Grace Bay beach is one of the most outstanding beaches I have ever seen. We stayed at the Comfort Suite a short 5-10 minutes walk from the beach. Grande Anse beach in Grenada also ranks up there as one the best. Coupled with the wonderful locals and the myriad of tours you can take make this an ideal vacation spot. I am also real partial to Cane Garden Bay or Smugglers Cove on Torola in the BVI.
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 04:08 AM

I definitely suggest the Turks & Caicos Islands. We stayed at the new Turks & Caicos Club, a beautiful small hotel if you want luxury. Comfort Suites is lower end and not on the beach. 12 miles of white sand!
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 04:15 AM

Having been on a 12 year quest to find the perfect Caribbean beach, my opinion of the top two would be either Grace Bay on Provo or one of several on Anguilla.

They are both quiet islands with stunningly beautiful beaches and a good selection of excellent restaurants.

For even more quiet blissful seclusion, consider going during off-season. We can't stand crowds and always go in April/May and October/November. There have been many times we've felt we had the beach and/or resort all to ourselves.
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 04:24 AM

Uh stuel, anyone who had stayed at Comfort Suites on Provo can tell you it is NOT "lower end," and I think that was a rude comment.

The Comfort Suites is an extremely nice property for the money, and is directly across the street from the best part of Grace Bay. I believe they may even have chairs on the beach for the use of the guests.

It is also within walking distance of some very good restaurants.

caribtraveler, there are lots of really nice places to stay on both Provo and Anguilla. We stayed at the Sands on Provo and were very happy. There is a nice pool area with a very nice kiddie pool section, but most people were down on the gorgeous beach the whole time.
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 05:35 AM

Agree with previous poster, Comfort Suites is "lower-end" on Provo price-wise and facility wise and is considered so because it is not on the beach when almost every other property is. T & C is a great choice with your 2 year old, any of the beachfront condo properties will be great for you -- The Sands, Ocean Club West, Royal West Indies, Alexandra Resort, there are many choices. You can stock up at the supermarket and feed your child breakfast and lunch from the condo which is much easier than 3 meals a day in a restaurant. The water is calm, the sand like talcalm powder, your child will be very happy!
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 06:01 AM
EJC

GRAND CAYMAN--It's all about the beach-7 Mile Beach is GREAT! (actually 5 1/2 miles) The only drawback;GC is very expensive
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 07:23 AM
caribtraveler

thank you all for your prompt replies!
diana: we are just like you regarding the crowd thing. we love quiet beaches, so we do vacation during off-season and we'll do that again (probably may or june 2004). frangipani is our choice for anguilla and the sands for turks and caicos.
wantsomesun: i did think about one of the out islands, but my husband doesn't really want to because we just did bahamas in october (granted it was grand bahama and not an out island). question about the out islands since i've never done research on them. how do you get there? do you fly to freeport or nassau then take a boat to them?
castaway: little dix bay in virgin gorda is also on our list. the length of time it would take us to get there might be an issue.
ejc: grand cayman is on our list. our only issue with grand cayman is that we think great snorkeling and great diving! which we wouldn't be able to do with the little one. so we think we want to save it for when he's a bit older.
thanks again to everyone for your replies/suggestions!

Old Dec 10th, 2003, 08:54 AM

The Reef Resort (my place in Grand Cayman is also "all about the beach", and excellent value for our "all beachfront luxury suites".

Don't take my word for it, visit our website at www.thereef.com.ky and click on the traveler reviews, these come directly from WhereToStay.com
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 09:19 AM
caribtraveler

Tom: i actually have looked into your place which does look very nice and the prices were very appealing. it's on the list.

Old Dec 10th, 2003, 12:01 PM

My two cents. We have been to Harbour Island, Bahamas. We flew Flying in from the east coast - DC area. One change of planes (Ft. Lauderdale) then into Eleuthera and then a quick ferry to Harbour Island.

Our opinion. Very pretty 3 mile beach but we weren't that crazy about the island itself. Could never see being there for more than a long weekend. Even after 4 days, we were tired of the flat island and same beach.

After going to St John, USVI there is no comparison St. John hands down. I do not know about the BVI's but I'm sure they are nicer than the Bahamas.

Oops, I'm sure I'm going to get slammed for saying that. Again....my opinion
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 04:17 PM

I love the serenity of St. John! It is one of my favorite islands. Another one is Anguilla, easy to get around, excellent beaches, white sand, safe and fun. Frangioani is a wonderful choice.
Mead's Bay is spectacular! It is also an easy island to beach hop.
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 05:26 AM

Last year we took our 3 and 7 year daughters to Abaco (Marsh Harbour) and stayed at the Regattas and had the best time of our lives. We rented a boat to island hop, but there are ferries which run on nice schedules to other cays. Very laid back, people sincerely friendly and helpful. Trying to arrange a trip back this spring. There's a small pool and beach at the hotel.

We loved it.
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 06:57 AM
caribtraveler

thank you all for your responses. we booked frangipani on anguilla (almost went for four seasons on exuma!). now we're keeping our eye out for the cost of the flight to drop!

Old Dec 25th, 2003, 07:05 PM

Been to alot of the places mentioned above,but I must say a combo trip of St John and BVI's can top any suggestion when it comes to beaches.