Only 3 nights and we're rookies

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2005, 02:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be enjoying a quick trip (3 nights) to Anguilla from St. Thomas in May. We will be staying at Cap Juluca. Since our trip will be short we would like to experience as much as possible. Our idea of a perfect day would be: Light breakfast in the room, walk on the beach/beach time, drive to a beach restaurant for a leisurly lunch, maybe a spa treatment and a nap, dinner in a great restaurant, a few drinks with some live music to end the day. Here are my questions:

1. Should we rent a car? Are the restaurants easy to find at night? My husband doesn't mind driving as long as places are easy to find. Or should we just take taxis?, (we would like the independance of a car, but no hassels).

2. Which restaurants on the beach would you recommend for lunch? Should we go to Scilly Cay one day? Am I correct - we can drive to Island Harbour, then take the water taxi?

3. We love a great meal for dinner with nice wines, but we want to feel like we're in the Caribbean. I think we want to go to Blanchard's one night, where should we go the other two?

Thank you for your help !!
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 03:44 AM
ALR

Yes, renting a car makes it easy to see the island. Cap Juluca concierge can arrange that for you. Most restaurants are easy to find; a few become an adventure, which can be fun for lunch during daylight.
Yes, Scilly Cay can be done by driving to Island Harbor and then taking their boat over. Or you can make a reservation to go on the resort's boat trip to Scilly Cay which includes brief stops at Little Bay and Shoal Bay, two good snorkel spots.
Another great lunch restaurant is the Malliouhana main restaurant. It has a gorgeous view and food is very good. You might also like George's right at Cap Juluca.
In addition to Blanchards, consider Mangos and Altamer. Both are near Cap Juluca, good, and easy to find. If you want a casual dinner, Picante is also very good and not far from Cap Juluca.
Enjoy!
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Thank you ALR......I was thinking of going to Scilly Cay on our own, the boat trip sounds a little long, especially since my husband isn't into snorking or swimming.

Old Apr 4th, 2005, 05:34 AM
ALR

Yes, the resort boat trip to Scilly Cay is long: 11:30am-5:00pm. If you don't snorkel, just go from Island Harbor, but still make a reservation.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 06:32 AM
OT

You are not saying which days of the week you are on Anguilla, but if on a Sunday I would suggest to go to Scilly Cay on your own, have lunch and move on to Shoal Bay East and Elodias, which has live music as well.

Another great lunch place is Palm Grove at Junk's Hole, order your lunch on arrival and enjoy the beach while waiting, as it can take a while.

Trattoria Tramonto is not to be missed, both for lunch and dinner.

Another "cool" place is Dune Preserve, we have had several great lunches there. They also have music on Sunday afternoons.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks OT, we'll be arriving in time for lunch on Sunday and leaving on Wednesday.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 07:10 AM

Recommend Shoal Bay and a lovely french restaurant called Le Bar. Elodia's and Uncle Ernie's are there too, if you would prefer barbeque.
Caution about the rental car - it's a British Island, so driving is on the left side of the road. Have seen many tourists dangerously driving on the right side. Many taxi drivers will take you to a destination, and make arrangements to pick you up whenever you choose.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 10:52 AM

We were on Anguilla in November, and rented a car, and I would highly recommend it. It gives you such freedom to explore and also was fairly economical versus getting a taxi everywhere. Very easy island to get around. We loved Piccante for a casual night out, with great food and service, and very reasonable. Oliver's and Trattoria Tramonto were other favorites for dinner. We also had a great lunch at Uncle Ernie's. Have a wonderful trip!
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Thank you tamjam and jamsd1........we have lots of experience driving on the left in St. Thomas.....so I think we'll be OK......can't wait !!!