one month

Dec 11th, 2016, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

one month

me and my husband both 30 looking to spend one month somewhere..would like to rent something close to the beach and or town..would like it to be affordable, but no max. coming from ont. looking to relax, would like somewhere with a small village or town that has markets stores, friendly lively people. want beautiful water, and swimming. good food.
Dec 11th, 2016, 09:09 AM

Welcome to Fodors!

Your question is tough because every island offers all those things. "affordable but no max." doesn't narrow it down much either

Are you looking to rent a place that is not part of a resort or hotel? Have you looked into which islands are the easiest to get to from your home airport? That would be one way to start.

The internet is great to pin down details but with such a wide open question I think a couple guidebooks from the library that cover the Caribbean might be more useful to you, if you haven't done that yet.
Dec 11th, 2016, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

we do not want to be on a resort. would like to rent our own spot for a month on or close to the beach
Dec 11th, 2016, 10:53 AM

Still to broad of a question. If you include the Bahamas Out-Islands there are over 800 islands in the Caribbean that have rental properties "on or close to a beach" and "close to a small village or town". All islands have "swimming", "good food'. "friendly people" and most will have "beautiful water".

So in short you can go just about anywhere in the Caribbean to find what you want. It like asking where should I go to experience Europe or what's the best place to go in the USA?

At the very least you need to answer these questions:

When will you be going?

Where will you be flying from?

How long are you willing to travel to reach your destination?

Are you willing to take one or more connecting flights and/or ferries to reach
your destination?

Do you have a preference for size of island and all that might entail- tiny, small, medium, large?

Do you want a flat, arid and scrubby island usually having long strands of white sand beaches, a hilly semi-lush island with smaller cove-like golden sand beaches or a mountainous lush island with dense rainforests and darker sand beaches?

When you say "good food" do you mean an abundance of high end gourmet food or do you mean simple but tasty local dishes?

Do you want a stand along house or small villa or would you be OK with a rental condo?

How "close" do those towns and villages need to be from your rental unit - a few blocks, walkable, a mile, a few miles, more???

What activities besides relaxing, swimming and dining interest you?

Having some idea of your accommodations budget would really help. No sense recommending an area with villas that rent for $20,000/week if all you are really looking to spend is $2,000 for the month? Sorry but "affordable" but "no max" doesn't help.
Dec 11th, 2016, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

ok lets say 8000 max..do not want anything to built up and touristy, want a feel of the local culture. would like an island that is more affordable. be nice to check out local markets and events not sure if any islands hae anything going on this time of year..looking at leavin end of january. would be interested in eating and trying new types of local foods, flying in from ontario. not picky on rental type. really want the turquoise nice waters, possibly try surfing if its good or snorkeling but as said not picky..we havent travelled much so just looking for ideas on what people have found to be good islands with different cultural feel where i wont break the bank..
Dec 11th, 2016, 11:51 AM

In late January/early February an $8,000 rental for a month will probably get you a decent condo on or near a beach or a small cottage somewhere off the beach.

Sorry, using terms like "more affordable" and "won't break the bank" to describe what you might spend on living expenses on a Caribbean island is meaningless. We have no idea what you can "afford" or what will "break your bank". Suffice to say, living expenses on any Caribbean island will be higher then they are back in Ontario. On average you can expect to pay about 25% to 35% more in the Caribbean than you would if you made those same purchases where you now live.

Based on your latest info you might want to narrow your research to islands like Antigua, St.Kitts, Virgin Gorda, St. Croix, Nevis, Dominica or perhaps Belize and Roatan (Caribbean side of Central America). All have what you are seeking.
Dec 12th, 2016, 10:11 AM

Again I suggest some guidebooks, with lots of photos, because even with more details there are thousands of places that fit what you ask for.

I like Negril Jamaica a lot and it offers much of what you ask for. It is culturally very different. There are tourists there. But there will be at least some tourists most places that offer beachfront rentals, snorkeling, surfing, etc.
www.negrilonestop.com
Dec 15th, 2016, 11:43 AM

"I like Negril Jamaica a lot "

Does that mean you've actually been there?
Or you just saw it in a photo or heard it mentioned in a magazine, and decided to comment as you are often wont to do on this forum?
Dec 15th, 2016, 01:03 PM

I have been to Negril three times.
Dec 16th, 2016, 05:20 AM

Samba, gotta ask, what's your beef with Suze? She's been on here for years, and the rest of us knew she's been there.

She like everyone else recommends the places she loves and her experiences.

Help me understand what your problem is!
Dec 16th, 2016, 06:26 AM

Thank you blamona.

Commenting on a place I have not been, I would have worded it: "my friends liked it there" or "It looks like a beautiful island in an article I read".

I would never say "I like XXX" unless I had actually been there.
Dec 16th, 2016, 06:42 AM

"what's your beef with Suze?"

As I have mentioned several times, I think people come to these forums to get the FIRST HAND experience of others who answer the posts. That is the value of these travel forums over other forms of information gathering. I do think people trust that "opinions" on these forums (and others) are based on first hand experiences, unless otherwise specifically stated.

suze posts (if you look back at many posts) as if she has this first hand experience (from the wording and style of the posts), and when questioned, simply says she never SAID she's visited, and there's no "rule" regarding this on Fodors. One post, for example, simply named the place. Why?
I would have no "beef" if she prefaced every post with "I haven't been there, but...(I read this in X place, or I heard from my brother's ex-girlfriend's niece's sister...or gee, it sounds from what I've seen in a guidebook/read in a travel magazine as if you might like...") which would make it very clear what kind/level of "expertise" is being posted.
I am particularly sensitive to this from one forum where the regular poster gets most of his info from the internet, rather than personal experience, but phrases it so that it sounds like his own. Much of it I know (from extensive experience in the destination) to be bad/misleading to such an extent that it could negatively impact someone's trip to a major or minor degree. I would prefer not to see that happening on this forum as well.
Dec 16th, 2016, 06:44 AM

"the rest of us knew she's been there."
That's a big assumption IMO. Does "the rest of us" include every new poster who has no reason to know anyone on this forum, but has a legitimate travel question?
Dec 16th, 2016, 09:58 AM

Samba, by rest of us means regular posts that have seen Suze a long time. I know she's gone multiple times to Jamaica, and loves it.

You attacked on this post, and I only see Jamaica mentioned by her.....

I get your beef, happens on Tripadvisor all the time (some of these googlers have actually become destination experts!)

But on this particular post, you've attacked Suze.

On the other hand, maybe I do have a bigger/longer sense about it, I have been extremely world traveled, and only write about places I've been.

But i have been on these forums long enough (I've even written some guidebooks for Fodor's) to say I know Suze is a long time contributor. I've never read all of her posts, nor will I, as I personally have better things to do (please no offence Suze!)

Although I have a pet peeve with persons who post, "well I researched this and this is what you should do," Suze talks mostly of Jamaica, and I know has been there.

Why not just counteract with, "I've been x,y,z and sounds like x is what you're looking for" instead?
Dec 16th, 2016, 10:17 AM

suze has regularly insisted on posting about the Yucatan and has, by her own words, only been to Puerta Vallarta or "that side"; her posts there are speculation and misleading, but read like she speaks from personal experience, and she objects when that is pointed out (by other posters than me).
Then, because I made a remark, she posted on a Cuba forum, another place where she has not been and about which she has NO idea of the special regulations.

If Fodor forums want to be a closed little insiders' club, one speaking to the other, how lovely for you who "belong" to it. If it wants to be a forum for travelers who are looking for first hand answers on their destination questions, it ought to serve them better than the limited club of those who've known each other that you describe.
It is not one of the busier travel forums on the internet, and could well go the way of (another well-known guidebook's forum) very easily, essentially defunct.

And also the forum should not allow anyone, even or especially an ex-employee of the site, to come across as threatening consequences, as you did, if they don't understand legal from illegal, as you yourself apparently do not on the subject of a particular newly opened country.
Dec 16th, 2016, 11:03 AM

So where do you suggest Christon and her husband go? You have made zero contribution to helping them on this thread.
Dec 16th, 2016, 11:22 AM

Suze and Blamona, don't bother responding to SambaChula, you wasting your time. This is the second time I've seen this poster attack another here on Fodors with zero reason. This person is here to stir the pot and rubs everyone the wrong way. The last thread this person completely ruined just because some poor kid wanted to go have fun and meet some girls on vacation. This person is here to cause trouble...
Dec 16th, 2016, 11:25 AM

Oh and it's already been reported to Fodors, so the posts will be gone soon....Stay patient while they take out the trash ;-)
Dec 16th, 2016, 11:29 AM

Ah, here we go again, with bassguy66 defending with such energy the s*x tourist who picked the 4 most notorious countries in the hemisphere to ask about visiting on one trip. There's a great topic for Fodors to be proud to specialize in.
Dec 16th, 2016, 11:49 AM

"So where do you suggest Christon and her husband go? You have made zero contribution to helping them on this thread."

Actually in this case, you did have a good suggestion and RoamsAround outlined the pertinent questions further in his/her first 2 posts. Repeating that advice one more time had no value. Usually, on any travel forum, those overly broad questions don't get good answers because a stranger needs to know the OP's tastes better to try to understand what would suit. You said "a couple guidebooks from the library that cover the Caribbean might be more useful to you" and for that reason, it is too difficult still to suggest a place without more specifics on what they were looking for. As it is, Mexico or most any island in the Caribbean I've been to would fill the criteria the OP generalized. But I don't feel that just naming a place that worked for me is the most beneficial way to go insofar as the OP is concerned.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO