Search

One and Only Bahamas

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2019, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One and Only Bahamas

Hello...my husband is turning 60 this December. Considering a 5-6 day trip to the Bahamas in January to celebrate. Wondering if the One and Only Resort is deserving of the hype and the price. We are planning a trip to Spain in May/June but didn’t want to wait that long to do something special. For reference, we use the NYC area airports so Nassau is an uncomplicated and relatively short flight. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.
Old Nov 15th, 2019, 05:28 PM

One &Only is a great resort and for me worth the price. You should know, however, that Nassau can be cool in January so factor that into your decision. FYI - you can research general weather statistics for Nassau at Travel Weather Averages (Weatherbase). On the home page click your way through to the “Caribbean”, “Bahamas” and then “Nassau”. You find lots of helpful data about the weather in January.
Old Nov 16th, 2019, 04:52 AM

Had dinner at One&Only and walked through the resort, it is really lovely. But agree about the weather, it would be too cool for me at that time of the year. I'd choose something in the southern Caribbean if you want beach/swimming weather. Plenty of direct flights from NY to Caribbean islands such as Grenada (Spice Island or SilverSands), Barbados (Sandy Lane), Antigua (Jumby Bay etc) or St Lucia (Jade Mountain and several others), flight time a bit longer than NY to Nassau.
Old Nov 17th, 2019, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses. The weather sites I checked said it would be in the high seventies and that the water would be fine for swimming. I think that should be fine for us as long as we can sit comfortably on the beach. We are both very fair and enjoyed a lifetime of lots of sun so we don’t need super hot. However, if it’s jackets at night or sweaters, then that’s something else.
We just wanted luxurious and close with the big event being Spain in the spring. We traveled to the Caribbean as a family at Spring Break and hit many islands. Plus, he’s become fixated on the Bahamas. Am I making a mistake?
Old Nov 17th, 2019, 08:37 AM

Sorry, but no one can give you any assurances that it will be warm in Nassau during the 5 to 6 days in January that you are planning to visit. All we can tell you is to look at the historical averages. In January past temperatures have ranged from the lowest ever recorded of 48 F. to a highest ever recorded of 86 F. with the average being 71 F. What the historical data also tells you is you can normally expect daytime temps to be in the low-to-mid 70's F and dropping into the mid-to-high 60's in the evening. However, you have to ask yourself will the "weather be normal" this coming January. If a cold front happens to come through during the 5 to 6 days of your visit temperatures could be in the 60's during the day and maybe a few degrees cooler in the evening. Then again, there's always a chance you could experience a warm front and temperatures could be higher. No one can predict with any certainty what will happen. That's the risk you'll take visiting the Bahamas in January. If you are comfortable with those temperature ranges and the uncertainty then make the trip. If not, then choose some place further south.
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 05:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When we were in Nassau in January we were able to enjoy sitting by the pool, but the breeze made it too chilly to enjoy the beach. We definitely needed at least a sweater in the evening.
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

I’m surprised to hear about the weather. We might push back to the end of January. All of my Caribbean experiences were family trips over March break so it was hot then. He really wants the Bahamas. Did anyone have a good experience in January or February?
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by luckylass16
I’m surprised to hear about the weather. We might push back to the end of January. All of my Caribbean experiences were family trips over March break so it was hot then. He really wants the Bahamas. Did anyone have a good experience in January or February?
Here's where you are a bit confused - the Bahamas are not in the Caribbean. They are located in the North Atlantic Ocean in an area known as the Sargasso Sea which is north of the Caribbean. That's why it can be cool in the winter months.

You should also know there is no significant difference in the statistical weather data between January and February - check the stats again if you don't believe me.

To reply to your last question, sure some people have had good experiences (in the Bahamas) in January and February but as the replies you've gotten so far point out some people have found the weather to be less than ideal.

It's really going to come down to "how much of a risk are you willing to take". It's your trip, your money and your decision.
Old Nov 21st, 2019, 04:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A little "googling" goes a long way...

"February is one of the coolest months for Nassau, with average temperatures similar to those in January. Yet even now most afternoons warm up to 75 degrees Fahrenheit (24 degrees Celsius). The temperature doesn't usually get above 89 °F (32 °C)."

"The months of January and February are great for traveling to the Bahamas for people who love the sun, but not extreme heat and humidity. There is also a great balance of heat and cool in March. Keep in mind that the evenings may get a little Caribbean chilly*, so pack appropriately"
Old Nov 22nd, 2019, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

I had read that text somewhere and thought it sounded fine. But there are obviously many weather variables that time of year. Am considering rethinking. Can anyone recommend a resort with good food, nice decor, etc.?