Search

Off To Grenada!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2000, 07:06 PM
nick

Off To Grenada!

Hi all - me and the missus are heading to the Grand Grenanda the week of Nov. 20. First time to the island. Some great tips on this site, but always open to new suggestions. We will be there three full days - can anyone tell me what the "must-do's" are? Though we love the beach, more than half a day baking is enough, so activities/hiking/exploring/sailing tips would be welcome. Thanks!

Old Nov 4th, 2000, 06:00 AM
Brian

For hiking, you can't beat Grand Etang National Park in the center of the island. The park contains trails through the rainforest of varying difficulty. Both Arnold's Tours and Henry's Safari Tours offer hiking trips, or you can rent a car and go on your own. I'll be going back there myself in March. Have fun!

Old Nov 4th, 2000, 07:24 AM
Debbie

Nick - please post a trip report when you're back from Grenada. Have heard it's a beautiful island-we're strongly considering for next May. Thanks and <BR>ENJOY !!

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 06:19 PM
Barb

Be sure to take a bus somewhere. If you haven't been on a Grenadian bus, you've missed something. They are minivans, but hold a LOT more people than your minivan or mine. <BR> <BR>We enjoyed spending a midday at La Sagesse, a small eco-resort on its own little bay, terrific fresh tuna steak burger in the open air restaurant while we watched a fisherman bring a bag of lobsters from his boat to sell to the restaurant. If you take the bus, you will walk down a dirt road for something less than a mile, past some demonstration gardens. I believe they have a nature trail at the resort also. <BR> <BR>It's been about 3 years since we were there, so confirm my information. <BR> <BR>Have fun! <BR> <BR>

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 04:09 AM
Eva

Try taking a daysail to one of the deserted islands of the southern coast. Moorings used to run them for about $25/person on their Beneteau 23s, and even if Moorings doesn't run those trips anymore, someone else probably does something similar. <BR> <BR>I second the recommendations to visit La Sagesse, as well as a hike in the Grand Etang area. Consider also a visit to one of the waterfalls (Concord Falls is pretty easily accessed), or a tour of one of the island "industries" -- a spice plantation or a rum refinery. Don't forget to visit St. George's, the main town -- its one of the more scenic of Caribbean port towns. <BR> <BR>For dining, my favorite spot is Coconuts on the beach. Right on Grand Anse, barefoot ambiance, candlelight, and native cuisine. Make sure you try some callaloo soup somewhere. <BR> <BR>Visit www.antilia.com for more info on Grenada. It's got some great photos. <BR> <BR>We are heading back to Grenada next month (sailing trip), so I will be sure to provide updates.

Old Nov 7th, 2000, 06:00 AM
nick

Thanks for all the detailed tips! I definitely will post a post-trip round-up when we return. If I may be a pain for a second, I have a few follow-up questions: <BR> <BR>* For touring the island, is the freedom you get renting a car worth the inevitable hassles, or is the island, the roads etc. fine for driving? <BR> <BR>* Do they take US$ on the buses and in stores, or should I go ahead and exchange for EC$ to get around, buy food, etc. <BR> <BR>* Eva, as a sailor myself (J24's), I am completely jealous - tell me about this sailing trip to Grenanda you're going on! We certainly will try and get on the water to one of the outlying islands - thanks for the tip. <BR> <BR>Thanks again, all!

Old Nov 7th, 2000, 06:59 AM
Eva

In answer to your questions: <BR> <BR>The only time we rented a car in Grenada was in 1992, so this info may be a bit dated. We were happy to have it, because it allowed us to venture all over the island. However, the roads were awful, as they were being torn up to install fiber-optic cable -- I assume this project is now completed, but you never know with "island time"! Even if the roads had been in good repair, the island is quite mountainous with lots of switchbacks, tight turns, and precipitous drops. And driving is on the LEFT. So if you rent a car and venture beyond St. George's, be careful and don't drive at night in the interior. <BR> <BR>As for money, in Grenada (and throughout the islands that use EC$) we found US and EC inter-changeable. We never officially changed money, and in most transactions, you will get a combination of EC and US bills and coins back as change. The only trick is that the exchange rate is not an easy number, so those US$ to EC$ conversions were a bit taxing, especially after a few Caribs! Also, use up all that EC money before you leave, because you will have trouble changing it back in the US. <BR> <BR>Finally, we are doing a Moorings sailing charter in December. In 1996, we did a St. Lucia to Grenada sail. This year, we are taking our parents along with us, as chartering does require some degree of strength, agility, and tolerance of less than luxurious accomodations, and we want to do it while our parents are still young and healthy enough to do it. Having done the BVI several times, as well as the Grenadines and the Abacos, my husband and I thought Grenada would offer to our parents (who have never done this before) diversions and attractions both on land and at sea. Although we are usually bareboaters and also sail our own boat on the Chesapeake, we are going with a crew this time, so that we can spend more time enjoying the trip and less time working. <BR> <BR>Grenada is wonderful, so I'm sure that whatever you do, you will enjoy it.

Old Nov 7th, 2000, 08:07 AM
R. Bailey

As for driving, it is the best way to see the island on your own terms, and we wouldn't consider not having a car, but the driving is challenging if you haven't done it before on mountainous Caribbean islands. On our last visit about a year and a half ago a lot of the main roads on the East and South of the island were being rebuilt. They should not be a problem, but do not expect anything like US standards. Older roads will be narrow and pot-holed; some roads will be about one and a half cars wide, with a drop-off on at least one side, which makes passing interesting, and driving is on the left. St. George's is very tricky; study your map carefully first if you plan to drive through it; getting in from Grande Anse is no problem, but to get out again requires careful street selection.

Old Nov 7th, 2000, 02:56 PM
Brian

I agree that it's worth renting a car. The first time I was there, I relied on tour operators. It's nice to see things at your own pace. Here are a few tips: <BR> <BR>- Take at a detailed map of the island with you and a blow-up map of St. Georges. Try to find a map which shows towns, rivers, and other landmarks since roads are not marked. Many gift shops around Grand Anse carry good maps. <BR> <BR>- Be careful in St. Georges. There are many narrow, one-way roads which are also used by pedestrians. Some of the roads are also very steep and have deep rain gutters. <BR> <BR>- Be sure to lock any valuables out of sight in the trunk, or better yet, don't take them with you. Be leary of anyone watching you go into the trunk. The last time I was there (about 3 years ago), someone got into my trunk after breaking out the back side window. It was a kid who saw me put a knapsack in there. Unfortunately, this sort of thing can happen anywhere. <BR> <BR>- If you get lost or confused, don't hesitate to ask someone along the way. Grenadians are very friendly and willing to help. <BR> <BR>- Take your time when driving.