Search

October Trip, Island?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2004, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
October Trip, Island?

5 buddies and i want to pick a destination to celebrate our 30th b-days in october. we're concerned about hurricanes and would like a island recommendation. we want a place with good nightlife but also with plenty of other activities. thanks.
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 06:08 AM

St. Thomas sounds like what you are looking for. October should be pretty safe for hurricanes... you may get some rainy weather...Sept is the most vulnerable month, yet hurricanes are possible any time from June to Nov.
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip, what about barbados or jamaica?
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 11:22 AM

Barbados is great...lot's of inexpensive to expensive hotels, take your pick. Lot's of nightlife in the Gap. We went last October and the weather was fine. Also good surfing and wave action. Enjoy! Greenie
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 12:47 PM

Mike, would you consider going to Cozumel? I went with one of my best friends in Oct. of 99 or 2000 for a diving trip. The night life was pretty good and we both managed to find some nice girls during the trip. The diving is world class and i am thinking of going back for a few days this oct. during my honeymoon b/c it was so good. There were plenty of other things to do as well if you don't dive and the food wasn't too bad in town - just ask for some ideas here, i can't remember! And last but not least, it's Mexico and cheap.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 05:09 PM

October has the second highest frequency of hurricanes of any month, but the absolute risk per week is relatively modest. Here's a map which shows percentage risk for the month of October by location in the Caribbean:
http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/ns_prob_oct.gif
Places you could go which have good nightlife and lower risk of storms include Barbados, Aruba, Puerto Rico, Cancun/Cozumel, and St. Thomas.