OchoRios Vs. Montego Bay

Dec 31st, 1969, 04:00 PM
Mike

Also take careful note of BOB THE NAVIGATOR.

Shouldn't Fodor's be publishing these two's collected postings?

Ms. Janet

I'd like to add DJ's suggestion (another poster who recently returned from Italy).

--Bring several business cards if you plan (or think) you may be purchasing any items that need to be shipped back home. Makes it easier to send things to your work address as someone will be there to sign for package(s).

Lynn

Lynne: I second your zip-lok bag advice. We packed everything in plastic bags and it was so easy to fit even bulky stuff in the suitcase that way.

elaine

topping

Drew

I'm going to London (4 days) and Paris (4 days) on 4-21! My parents, who are 60 something are coming along with me and my wife. They have never been overseas (nor have I), and would never go if we didn't accompany them.

I'll have some revised tips I'm sure when I return! But...

1. We ARE going 1st class on the Eurostar from London to Paris. My parents got a nice "senior" discount, so my wife and I just sucked it up and paid the difference. Hopefully we can sleep!!!

2. I'm breaking in my new brown walking shoes as we speak. I am taking 1 pair of sneakers, and I AM taking jeans! I'm a tourist, and an American. It won't be blue jeans that give it away. I am mostly planning on wearing Jeans and turtleneck shirts in London, and Kahki's and turtleneck shirts in Paris. Am I correct that I'll garner a slightly higher bit of respect in Paris if I'm not in jeans?? Thoughts??

*Note: For our dinner at The Ivy, and Rules, I'll be appropriatly dressed in coat and tie, thank you.

3. Our itienary has an alternate activity for almost every scheduled activity. Given that some events in london don't happen when it rains, I've heard this is wise. I'm also scheduling R&R every day for at least an hour, maybe two (late afternoon).

4. We're going to try some of the "london walks" tours, especially in the evenings. I've heard London is more closed up at night than Paris, so I thought this would be a productive way to see some other areas we might not make it to during daylight.

5. Paris I'm scheduling a LOT of "walking around time". I really don't understand yet what the big deal is about Paris, but I've read enough here to know that it's the street life that is so special. We're doing Louvre, Orsay, ND, Versailles, yada yada, but also lot's of "walking around".

6. We're eating before we get to the airport and putting on our eyeshades when we take off. It's 8.5 hours from Atlanta to Gatwick - I want to sleep as many of those as we can! Why stay awake for a frozen dinner and lose two hours of possible sleep?!?

7. I'm going to smoke a cuban cigar over there, even if it makes me sick!

8. I have a shoulder bag (courier bag) from REI instead of a backpack - which I can carry under my coat. I also have security wallets for large amounts of cash and passports.

9. I'm using plastic everywhere I can. USAA visa has 0% conversion fees on purchases. Bank of America adds on 2% of every purchase! Boo Bank of America!

10. My wife has the unfortunate problem of being almost 3 months pregnant, and she enjoys wine. I'm going to try to be nice in Paris, and not flip out over how great the wine is!!

11 (bonus). I'm going to ask for menus in nice restaurants where I enjoy the meal! Maybe even ask if the chef will sign it! We went to the French Laundry last summer (Napa, California), and have nothing to show for it but the printed clothespin that held our napkins. I WISH WISH WISH I had a copy of that wonderful menu. I know it's hokey, but I'm probably only going to be there once, and it will probably be years before I get back to these countries.

That's all...whew!

Drew

Karen

THe best thing I have learned is to keep a great travel journal. I bring a glue stick and a little pair of scissors and cut out pictures off the brochures you get, snippets of the maps of where you have been, metro cards, ticket stubs, matchbook covers, buisness cards of establishments you liked, etc. and paste them all in the book at the end of each day. I write about my day and all the fun that day. After my trip, I can remember the name of that great restaurant in the 6th or the little ship in St. Germain to tell all my friends about! It is a great memory - and planning tool for your next trip.

carolyn

Katherine, don't forget to look for my Fodor's pin. It will give that certain flair to my otherwise plain outfit. That's if it doesn't fall out of the envelope at the Post Office.

Tim

This is fun. From my recent whirlwind visit:

(10) Pack everything in one overnight bag. That means, among other things,

(9) Leave the hairdryer at home. Three out of four hotels have them at the desk -- the fourth one gives you an exercise in Getting Over It.

(8) Pack Last Chance Throwaway underwear. We didn't think of that, but in hindsight it's a good idea.

(7) Second Class is fine -- EXCEPT on EuroStar and overnight couchettes (6 berths).

(6) Pay for food with CASH from the ATMs. Use the Credit Card for hotels and travel tickets only.

(5) Take ONE pair of good walking shoes -- the ones you get on the plane with.

(4) Go ahead and wear jeans -- many Europeans do. In any case, wear pants with Front Pockets so you can put your wallet up front. (It may spoil your "fashion profile" a little, but it's worth it and more comfortable than the Money Belt.)

(3) Take a digital camera, snap everything, and delete half your pics every week or so. It'll pay for itself with all the film you don't buy. A $50 memory card can store 400-500 pics AFTER you've tossed the 500 bad ones. Better yet, buy a SMALL camcorder (mini-DV).

(2) Use the Eurail passes for travel if you're there for less than two weeks.

(1) No matter what country you're in, take five minutes practicing "Good Day," "Good Afternoon," "Please" and "Thank you" in the local tongue. Then say "Good Day" and "Thank you" every time you enter/leave a shop.

Forever

Hmmm. What I learned from this board.

1. It has good information but you'd better print it out because the editors will delete it quickly. They don't appreciate good suggestions appearing on their board.

2. There really are good people who try to help who get turned off quickly by the arrogance of Fodors.

3. There are other great travel message boards out there that are much better managed than this one.

4. Rex is a saint. He works hard to help people like me but gets flamed for his efforts.

5. The most important thing I learned is that this board is a waste of my time. It's like a strip show. It gets my juices flowing but when I want to do more, the owner pulls the attraction (in this case, a useful post) and leaves me totally frustrated.

Photographs: Use a notebook. After each shot make a note about that one. Advice from a pro (not me).
Rita

Thank you Mike!
I am with you - I am tired of worrying myself sick that we (husband, myself & 10-year old daughter & 7-year old son) won't fit in in Paris just because we may wear the dreaded "fanny pack" to carry stuff, wear the despised tennis shoes so we can walk everywhere, and horrors, maybe even wear blue jeans! Dreadful! What will the Parisians think! I've been pouring over the Fodors talk site until I'm ready to scream - too bad if the Parisians don't like my ugly American family. We will go, have fun, smile, and be ourselves.

sue

If you are on any serious meds, take duplicate prescriptions in case you lose/forget your pills. I was detained in Paris, but had a list of my medications from the Merck-Medco site (looked official) and was able to get them filled with no problem. Ditto contact lens prescriptions (it was London that time).

JOdy

nj,

even better than dry cleaner bags, use ziplock or for large items you can get ziplock travel bags, roll tightly to squeeeze out air, things will not only stay dry and unwrinkled but take up less space. The very most useful thing I have learnt on Fodor's!

Debbie

OchoRios Vs. Montego Bay

a few of my favorites

1. Put an empty duffel in your suitcase,for all your souvieners( sp ? ugh) or dirty laundry on the way home.

2. Develop your film RIGHT away and put them in a book within a day or two - be sure to write or type up captions as you put them in the book. You will keep them in order AND remember where each one was taken and what special things happened at that time. I have done this on my last 3 trips and it works wonders. You get it done ( which often never happens if you say "I'll do it next week") and everyone who looks at your book will be very impressed.

3. Take along a deck of cards. Trust me , depending on your travel companion - you will use them.

4. Relax a bit when driving - If those people behind you are in such a rush to speed, let them pass you. When travelling, I try to go about the speed limit, but if someone wants to go faster , fine, pass me and let me be.

Debbie

Mar 22nd, 2000, 08:44 PM
Chris

Iwas considering either Sunset Beach Resort& Spa in Montego Bay or the Enchanted Garden in Ocho Rios. Any thought or experiences?

Mar 24th, 2000, 01:28 PM
Andrea

No comparison, go to Enchanted Gardens. It is a stunning property, besides, Ocho Rios is nicer than MoBay

Search this Thread