Reload this Page >

Newbies -guide us ol'wise ones

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 09:37 PM
redshoe

Aloha- We are a married couple just starting to really get the hang of this traveling stuff. We returned from London and are ready to plan a August adventure to celebrate our combo birthdays and anniversary. We lived in Hawaii for a time and thought it would be nice to try something new. I hope that some of you will be able to steer us in the right direction for our first visit to the islands. <BR><BR>Open to all suggestions. Looking to stay 4 nights/5days. All inclusive might be cool. Basically just want to lay on the beach and maybe sneak off to a spa. We are not big party people and prefer books to clubs. Looking for laid back atmosphere and basically a chance to relax and unwind and escape Chicago. <BR><BR>Gosh, reading this I sound like a personal ad! Mahalo

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 02:21 AM
Mike

Sounds very much like Rendezvous, Le Sport (both St Lucia) or La Source (Grenada) are the resorts you want. We did Rendezvous last April and it was fantastic...the other two are it's sister resorts and are apparently as good.

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 11:24 AM
Redshoe

Great, thanks I checked out both websites. I couldn't find a rate sheet on there. Can you give me an idea of what I am looking at price wise?

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 11:47 AM
Paul

Lay on the beach....read a book?<BR>Sounds like you need to go to Harbour Isle in the Bahamas and stay at <BR>Pink Sands. My wife and I did it for our 10th and it was perfect!!. Private and romantic.<BR><BR>One of the worlds best beaches is at your door step.<BR><BR>Only 60 min from Miami but a world away from Chicago. <BR><BR>(we love Chicago though...it's a great city)<BR><BR>go to www.islandoutpost.com for Pink Sands.<BR><BR>Good luck...write me if you want more

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 12:32 PM
tweedy

Hi welcome to the board, you will find all kinds of interesting people and info here that will be very useful in your travels.<BR><BR>Since I am also voting for Harbour Island and there are lots of nice places to stay there and of course Pink Sands is one them, you might try the www.briland.com website for more info on the island and some of the other resorts, like Romora Bay, Runaway Hill (my personal favorite), Coral Sands, Dunmore, Bahama House and the Landing to name a few.<BR><BR>My other suggestion would be to hit a local GOOD travel agency and find out about any specials to the Carribean. August is off season so you should be able to get some GREAT deals. The agency should also have airfare/hotsl/meals programs and of coure pictures of lots of beautiful locations.<BR><BR>I was looking recently at a resort in the carribean where the rooms were very private, with pool and only 3 walls, thought that was interesting. So my best suggestion would be to look around and see what kind of deals are available, that way you can get a better idea how far your money can go in August.<BR><BR>Have a great time and enjoy the carribean.<BR><BR>tweedy

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 02:12 PM
tom

Tweedie<BR>I feel terribly ignorant but could you explain the 3 walls? You can't mean that the room is open at one side can you? I don't think I'd like that much!!<BR> <BR>While I'm at it<BR> I've seen several places with open air bathrooms- where is the privacy and why do people want it? <BR> <BR>sorry to take over your post redshoe!!

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 02:23 PM
Kate

Redshoe,<BR>As someone who looks for similar qualities in a vacation ..I would highly recommend any of the US or British virgin islands. My husband and I started with our honeymoon and haven't been able to stay away since.Look into all of them and then make your decisions but I can't see you going wrong with any of them.Good Luck!

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 05:39 PM
alana

Looking for a room with only 3 walls- try the Ladera Resort in St. Lucia. Very, very quiet, no T.V. or phone, but lovely views of the Pitons. Take along a lot of good reading material !!

Old Feb 10th, 2002, 06:32 PM
Redshoe

How do the caribbean islands compare to the islands of Hawaii? Are they lush and what about the water. I'm pretty hyped up about this and so looking forward to exploring new places. <BR><BR>Look out, here I come islands!

Old Feb 11th, 2002, 08:17 AM
tweedy

Yes there are resorts with only 3 walls, so you have a breathtaking view of the water and lush surroundings. I have not been there, yet, but that is my next trip. <BR><BR>Hawaii and the Carribean islands are similar and different, some are lush and rainforesty and some are more barren and dry, so it ranges. I have been to Hawaii a couple of times. I think Guadaloupe and Martinique might make you think of Hawaii in terms of beautiful water and mountains.<BR><BR>Have a great time.