Notices

Nevis part 2...by iw

Old Jul 4th, 2006, 06:55 AM
iw
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nevis part 2...by iw

Ahh, Nevis!! We checked out of the Marriott around 10 for the 11:30 ferry on the Carib Breeze(hah...island time). We were at the terminal at St. Kitts from 10:30-12:20.....a sight to see. It was not as clean as last year and there were homeless people staying there. Not that we are immune to that in Richmond, VA, but a new sight for us in SKB. The police are now carrying guns due to gun issues in the villages, according to our cab drivers. We eventually paid $18 for 2, I believe to cover the ferry and $1/p/p departure tax (which is better than flying between the two islands last year for a flight fee and $22per person departure tax). Ferry was about 30 min. and taxis are right there ready to assist and deliver you to your hotel. This port was much cleaner and quite quaint with colorful shops facing it. I think it was a $15 ride to Oualie Beach. The room is very basic. I upgraded to a premiere suite. Room is big with a nice closet with a huge bathroom and double vanities...stand up shower and in the room, there is an armoire with drawers and a tv with a vcr and a table and 2 chairs////small fridge. Basic room, but very clean. On Nevis, you HAVE TO HAVE BUG SPRAY FOR YOUR BODY. THE RESTAURDANT THERE HAS IT!!!!!!!! I still have marks from the no see ums.....Also, put all snacks,no matter what in the fridge to avoid ants. This is an island thing, not just at this hotel.
Got to Oualie and had a nice lunch...hooked up with Chef Jason, who is now the manager of the dining operations. Go, Jason!!! He is so very gracious and welcoming! Later we saw, Trevor (bar dude...awesome), and Tim (ambassador(sp?) for Oualie and Vaden(general mgr. ) ....awesome people! We were thrilled to see them and have them be with us for a 2nd year! I really can't put into words the reception that we had coming back to Oualie Beach....it was like coming home. We received a basket of goodies for being a return customer. That was nice. We did visit the 4S to go to Sunshines for a Killer Bee. The first Bee, and only, of my trip was verrrrry good, but the food was awful and the service was worse! We had the lobster salad, but the ribs smelled good. We told the cab driver to give us 2 1/2 hours to get lunch, check out Chevys Bar (down the way) and visit the 4S golf course pro shop for gifts...Well, we saw and met Chevy ...nice guy and had lunch at Sunshines and that was it! Next time, I will down my killer bee and head to Chevy's!!
This island is all about relaxing! Our personal driver ended up being Chip///call around and everyone knows him... quiet at first, but after the 1st day, he is a wealth of information!!! Dinner first night was at Oualie, as we loved it last year and we were not disappointed! Next day we chilled on the beach and had dinner at Coconut Grove. One word. YUMMMMMMMM The service by Gary (whom I mistakenly called Mark, thinking ahead to St. Martin to Mark's Place) and Karin, was superb!!!!!!!! The food was excellent, the service was awesome and the view is too cool!! Gary and Karin were very nice hosts and gracious, also!! Best tuna I have ever had!!!!! You can't beat the setting of Coconut Grove. We met a couple there on their honeymoon and they were returning for their 2nd dinner and we met another couple in SXM who had left the 4S compound for dinner at Coconut Grove and loved it! Gary was also serving a large business party that same night and brought the wine out for inspection, himself. Like I said, Coconut Gove is a definite place to visit!
We ate our last dinner at Oulie, at Vaden's , mgr. party for the hotel customers. Nice. Snacks were passed around. It's an opportunity to meet the staff and other guests. Dinner was $40p/p /p with 5 or 6 choices on the menu, plus it's a 4 course meal...Yum and a great deal.
DH hiked Mt. Nevis with Jim Johnson and had a ball!! It was a tough hike, but fun! It was the two of them and Jim put Rick at ease as they climbed for the better part of the day. DH was filthy when he got back. Be prepared! The hike was only $30 w/o tip and DH said the views are amazing. I am an in-shape person and I don't think that I could have handled the hike. Parts of it are straight up and you are using ropes to assist. There is a book at the top where people who make it sign their name. DH was on cloud 9 for the rest of the trip!
Went back to 4S to the golf shop. While waiting for the taxi an employee asked if I wanted to see 2 rooms so I said sure. The first one was a deluxe oceanside room which was a good size. It goes for $485/night. The other was an ocean suite, with a large eating area and sitting room for $1,000/night. These prices are out of season. In my opinion, these rooms were not much better than those at the St. Kitts Marriott. I have seen more upscale rooms at other 4S properties. The service was excellent and friendly. Personally, I would check into a plantation hotel before committing to this property. Just a thought.
Next stop, St. Martin. Our flight (25min) was delayed due to weather and we spent 6 hours in the Nevis airport. Ho hum.....nothing to eat there but chips and hot dogs. Since I don't eat hot dogs, I was starved when we finally landed. There is a tiny shop which was open for 2 hours. I did see a Sunshine's shop on the outside of the airport and I feel sure that they would have let me back out, but I spent my time pacing and reading.
Hope this has been of some help to someone.
Oh, the photo store (CVS) just called...all of our film, 4 rolls, was exposed due to a machine malfunction and we have 0 pics of anything!!!!!!!!!!

Old Jul 4th, 2006, 11:02 AM

I am so sorry about your pics!
It happened with us when we went to St. John. I think we had one good roll. The 3 others were ruined. You should really consider getting a digital camera. My husband finally sold it to me a couple of years ago and I LOVE it. You will never have that bad roll experience ever again!
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 11:20 AM
iw
Original Poster

You are expressing my thoughts, exactly.....I am off to get the digital camera. I had held off since I had given my husband a really nice camera with flash and the whole deal just a few years ago. But, I will conform....the digital pics are so much better, anyway. I suggested that we go back next week and re-live the experiences to get the pics, but DH wasn't up for that!
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 03:48 PM

That was the issue for me. I bought this really expensive camera, took photography classes...you get the drift. So when my husband suggested we get a digital camera, I was very resistant...but I promise you it is GREAT. He was right, for once. Haha...
You see right away if you get a sucky picture and you can delete it right then and there. They make them so small these days and they take great pictures. The technology is just amazing. Make sure to check out consumer reports to get a good one. Good luck!
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 03:49 PM

And I did want to go back to St. John to relive it all as well and my husband didn't give in. What's up with our men?!

Old Jul 4th, 2006, 06:00 PM
iw
Original Poster

Caribtraveler......Men!!!!! How long have you been married???? For us it has been 15 years. I think I had more pull when we were younger! wink wink. (I don't have those cool pics like you...maybe that's why I bought a regular camera instead of a digital. LOL)
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 05:44 AM

7 years in October for us! Well I'll find out this year if I still have some pull. He recently asked me what I wanted for my birthday which is 2 weeks after our anniversary (which we're going to Turks & Caicos to celebrate). I told him I'd love a trip somewhere warm during the month of December. I got one of those looks from him. Ha!
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 06:10 AM
iw
Original Poster

Keep me posted on your Dec. trip. I still feel like I'm on the island with a broken upstairs a/c unit. What else???? I knew I should have stayed on vacation!