Negril Cliffs v. Grand Lido

Dec 19th, 2002, 07:38 AM
michellek

Negril Cliffs v. Grand Lido

I need some recommendations.

We are going to Negril in early May. We are staying at Beaches for the first 3 nights (for a wedding) and then will switch to another hotel for 5 nights. I'd like to get away from all the kids...

I get a fantasic rate - nearly half off, at Grand Lido. We could stay there. But I was also curious about the cliffs. We do love the beach, but want something romantic too...

Any thoughts?

Dec 19th, 2002, 09:10 AM
Andrea

I didn't realize that Beaches was more costly than Grand Lido. The cliffs are interesting...the resorts there however are not top-tier resorts..more like 3* resorts.

If you are interested in the area, you could take a taxi up there and dine at a few spots. Many people speak somewhat highly of Rockhouse located on the cliffs as a place to stay. Maybe someone else can shed some light.

To view many of the properties located on the cliffs of Negril go to Negril.com . They have a map of most of the resorts and their location in Negril.
Regards, Andrea.

Dec 19th, 2002, 10:05 AM
liza

There are some high end properties on the cliffs:

The Caves, owned by Chris Blackwell's Island Outpost

Rockhouse

Tensing Pen

Villas Sur Mer

These will all be quiet, private retreats with cottages perched on the cliff edge or set in gardens on the cliff top. Some don't have AC as it is breezy up there and all 3 make a great effort to have a real Jamaican ambience, so I wouldn't expect tvs or phones at all of them...but they all have web sites, take a look.

Dec 19th, 2002, 10:49 AM
michellek

Grand Lido is more expensive than Beaches, but I have a half price deal at GLN...

Dec 19th, 2002, 01:06 PM
Andrea

MichelleK,
How on earth did you get that 1/2 price deal. If you don't mind sharing.
Thx, Andrea

Dec 19th, 2002, 01:11 PM
michellek

Just a company perk

Dec 19th, 2002, 01:22 PM
chesney

If you love the beach, i would stay at Grand Lido. You can't go wrong with that hotel. I would also recommend going down to the cliffs for dinner a time or two. The west end (cliff area)is really a different view of Negril, and shouldn't be missed. The Grand Lido should be romantic too. It usually gets mostly couples, and doesn't allow anyone under 16. I usually go to Negril at least once a year, so if you have any other questions let me know. You will love it!

Dec 20th, 2002, 12:12 PM
michelle

Thanks...I think we will stay at Grand Lido. Some of those places like Tensing Pen just looked so romantic.

Dec 20th, 2002, 12:24 PM
liza

Can you do both? Maybe take the last couple of nights for the cliffs?

Lido is nice but not such a huge difference from Beaches in that they are located quite near each other so have similar water, beach, etc., are of a similar size, are both all-inclusive...though Lido is adults only most cliff hotels are too (not very safe to have kids running around with unfenced cliffside).

If you do stay at Lido, get up to the cliffs and check these places out yourself for next time...almost every hotel will gladly give you a tour on a walk-in basis.

Search this Thread