Needed, warm awesome resort

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2004, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Atlanta,and I can get 4 nights away with my wife (without our kids). What would be a great beach resort with guaranteed beach weather and easy travel from Atlanta in February? Money is not a concern. I have been to the Royal Hideaway in mayan riviera and it was great, but the weather was mediocre.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 03:13 AM

Freester,

Not too many places have guaranteed beach weather. You're looking for a desert island most likely. The one that comes to mind first is Aruba. Very little chance of a rained out vacation there.

Another that is closer is Turks and Caicos.

Either of those would have a high likelihood of nice weather. Aruba might be warmer in February, and is much more built up. Depends a lot on what you're looking for.

Ken
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 04:45 AM

Cayman Islands is also an option. I believe they have direct flights from Atlanta.

What exactly are you looking for in a resort.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Are their nonstop flights to turks and caicos from Atlanta? We want good food and great beach. What would be the best place to stay in Cayman or Turks?
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 08:24 AM

There is a non-stop flight from ATL-PLS on Delta.

The Sands at Grace bay is a top notch recomendation

On Grand Cayman I like the Hyatt or Westin.

In my oppinion there are more dining options on Grand Cayman than on Providenciales.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 09:50 AM

Good food & great beach? I can't believe no one has said Anguilla! Cap Jaluca sounds like just what you are looking for. It's not direct, though, and probably thats what's kept it out of the running. But it surely qualifies as a "warm, awesome resort." If you need direct, I'd go to Puerto Rico. Many wonderful, although larger, resorts there.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Turks and Caicos is not an option for 4 nights as the flights are only weekly. Anguilla has no nonstops. Is peurto rico or cayman any warmer or less rainy than cancun? Aruba sounds good, but flights are very expensive.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 05:20 PM
wow

From Atlanta in Feb, Aruba wld do it for me!! Stay @ The Radisson. Beachfront room! Aaaaah.....
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 02:36 AM

Hi Freester,

Given what you've said, I still think Aruba is your best bet. I did note your comment on the expense of the flight... it reminds me of a saying we have in engineering. "Good, fast, cheap... pick any two" I guess in this case it would be "easy flight, nice, cheap.... pick any two"

Every trip is a compromise... only you know what your priorities are. I guess if I were you, I would start my search with those islands that have frequent direct flights out of Atlanta, to satisfy the easy to get to requirement, then take that list and either research, or ask about weather in February. If you're looking for the best chance of nice beach weather, your best bet is a desert island. In or out of the hurricane belt isn't an issue in Feb.

Best of luck in your planning...

Ken
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 05:26 AM

Im going to digress on the Aruba thing...I had heard so much about "guaranteed good weather" ...We went this past March and it was somewhat cloudy most everyday...the locals said that the time around Easter can be that way. There ARE lots of good dining options on Aruba...but the overall accomadation level is somewhat below par. I also have been to RH....loved it as well and there is really nothing on Aruba that can compare to that. I have also been to Cancun several times and the weather has always been great. That said, if I had little time and wanted a quick,easy, good weather, yet luxe trip, I would probably do a Ritz, JW, OR Le Meredien Cancun ..maybe even Rh again.On a side note, I much prefer the Caymans to Aruba ANY day...other than good dining, Aruba didnt show me much. Have a great trip.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Has anyone been to playa del carmen or cancun in February? Was my experience with poor weather atypical? Is the weatherin the Caymans any better?
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 01:24 PM

We spent a week this Feb. on Grand Cayman and the weather was fine. A few days, it was a bit windy, but not a big deal.

If you prefer a hotel, I'd suggest the Westin. (don't know when the new Ritz will open) The Westin is in a great part of 7mb.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 01:32 PM

Yep...I have been in Feb....in fact, thats when we had the best weather of all our trips to Cancun. It was perfect....