NEED YOUR SUGGESTIONS FOR A SMALL HOTEL

Dec 5th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

NEED YOUR SUGGESTIONS FOR A SMALL HOTEL

We are 2 well -travelled women friends "of a certain age" who have begun a tradition of taking a winter vacation together,without our spouses.Our first, last winter,was at the Rendezvous Bay in Anguilla.It was perfect for us:low key,with simple,clean cottages perched on a gorgeous beach.Sadly,it was torn down last summer to make way for multi-million dollar villas.I am clueless about where we can go to find a similar ambience.We can spend about $400.per night,sharing a room,and would like to try another island.....in early February.A small hotel or one with cottages,a lovely beach and not too difficult a flight from the East coast.Can't wait to read your suggestions !!
Dec 5th, 2007, 06:35 PM

Are you interested in an island with sightseeing? Is good dining important? Or is it really just about getting away to someplace warm with a decent beach(and the small but clean hotel)? Would a B&B type of place work for you? Puerto Rico would be easy to get to and offers those types of facilities.
Dec 6th, 2007, 03:26 AM

Not having stayed at Rendezvous Bay, I can't really offer anything that I know will be similar. And since you are going in February, I would rule out that Out Islands of the Bahamas. But that much said, my husband and I prefer to stay in small, intimate properties when we travel, and prefer them to be on the beach, so here's a few thoughts based on my travels:

- La Sagesse in Grenada. A bit remote -- you'll want a rental car if you want to explore -- but a truly lovely, secluded beach on one of the most spectacular and friendly islands in the Caribbean. Easily under $200/night. Grenada is a dream, and if La Sagesse doesn't suit, there are tons of small places to stay -- Grenada seems to specialize in them.

- The Inn at English Harbour in Antigua. Just got back from here, and only stayed one night before a bareboat sail, but really wished we could stay longer. You can get a superior suite (and that's what I recommend, as the beach cottages don't get good reviews) for $340 with all taxes. Free water taxi to Nelson's Dockyard. Pretty beach on site, and dozens and dozens nearby.

- Le Petit Hotel in Grand Case, St. Martin. Haven't stayed at this property yet, but will be this coming March (it gets rave reviews, and is a small boutique hotel). Did stay in Grand Case in February. Great beach, but active (not secluded), and the best collection of restaurants in the Caribbean just steps away. Also, you can take the free bus to Marigot if you want to shop -- a far more civilized experience than shopping on the Dutch side. And you can easily day trip to St. Barth or Anguilla.

- Any number of small inns and hotels in the British Virgin Islands. I would pick the Sandcastle on Jost Van Dyke, which is on White Bay. It's one of the prettiest beaches in the BVI, with my favorite beach bar (The Soggy Dollar) anywhere. Real mellow vibe, but can get a bit busy some days with daytrippers. (There are lots of other places in the BVI as well; especially consider Cane Garden Bay in Tortola).

Tell us more about what you're interested in doing, and we can give you more targeted suggestions.

Happy planning!
Dec 6th, 2007, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks for your quick responses.We don't want to go to Puerto Rico.We like good restaurants for dinner,and might be interested in some sight-seeing.Shopping is not a priority.Lovely beaches without crowds,a sense of graciousness,warm weather and peacefulness is what we seek.Accommodations with some charm would also add to our experience.I hope this provides you "in-the-know" Carribbean travelers with more of what you need to offer more suggestions.Please keep them coming!!My friend and I will gratefully pour over all your messages,and will respond.
Again,so many thanks !!!
Dec 6th, 2007, 08:17 AM

I also think the BVIs (Little Dix Bay, Peter Island) or St. John (Caneel Bay) are worth looking at. Might be more than $400 in early Feb. however.
Dec 6th, 2007, 02:01 PM

Check out Royal West Indies in Turcs & Caicos.Beach is nicer and property is an upgrade.
Dec 6th, 2007, 08:35 PM

wouldn't do TCI in winter either and you might take a peek at Mango Bay on Virgin Gorda which is quite reasonable and not as high end expensive as the others. On a great beach - Mahoe Bay and nice dining on the island (but not as good as Anguilla!).

Flight to SJU and transfer to VIJ on AirSunshine is not bad - better actually than the schlepp to SXM thru SJU and ferry to AXA. Can also fly into Tortola (EIS) and transfer to Virgin Gorda or even STT which is not my preference because of ferry schedules but there is one on Sat afternoon at 3 that is direct between STT and Virgin Gorda (about a 2 hour ferry ride).
Dec 8th, 2007, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

thanks,Beachplum.Will check out MAngo Bay.I did not think we could afford Virgin Gorda!!This is good news.We have also begun to explore the possibility of going to Mexico.I have just completed a course on Meso_america,and am interested in going to some of the archaeology sites.Any suggestions from this boardame criteria:lovely small hotel on quiet beach?????
Dec 8th, 2007, 01:51 PM

If Virgin Gorda interests you, also check out www.guavaberryspringbay.com, which has some 2-bedroom rooms with a kitchenette. Rooms aren't right on beach, but the property is, and Spring Bay is now my favorite place to snorkel on VG. Great location!