Need ideas for next trip!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to take my wife for a week or so to a new destination. We are a little "Negrilled" out, if there is such a thing and looking for a fun, unique getaway without the kids. Places I am considering are the Out Islands (which one??), Anguilla, St. Barths, Grand Cayman or Barbados. We need a great beach with fun bars and restaurants. We are pretty easy to please without a need for luxurious accommodations. I wouldn't mind something with a full kitchen. Any ideas from the experts our there?? Travelling from Seattle limits us a bit, but we are willing to look at anything.
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 07:18 PM

We love St. Barths!
You've got it all- beachs, restaurants and really fun bars.
Nice little villas with private pools and someone to clean up after you every day but Sunday.
Bliss (and we come from the SF Bay area...).
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 03:18 AM

If you're looking for a great beach with fun bars and restaurants, the two best places in the Caribbean I've experienced are the BVI and Anguilla -- and you can get something with a full kitchen at either. The BVI are the beach bar capital of the Caribbean, but your best access is by boat; but if you stayed somewhere like Cane Garden Bay on Tortola, you'd be set. On Anguilla, the beach bars are accessible by land, and Shoal Bay East (stunning beach) alone has a collection of a good half dozen. Just don't miss Bankie Banx Dune Preserve on Rendezvous Bay.

If you are interested in the Out Islands, I would suggest the Abacos. The beaches are stunners, and there's just (barely) enough activity to suit someone looking for a little beach bar action. Consider renting a villa on Elbow Cay near Hopetown, and you'll be able to reach several restaurants and bars on foot, by golf cart, or by the preferred mode of transport -rental boat. Great Guana Cay and Green Turtle Cay also have options, but I recommend Elbow Cay for first timers since it has the best blend and variety of activities.
Old Jul 18th, 2008, 06:49 AM

I would afree St. Barths would be my first choice. If I were going in April or May some of the Abacos, as mentioned, would be my second choice. Both do not offer the big brassy hotels but more of a laid back environment with lovely beaches and the Abacos probably beats out St. Barths for snorkeling.
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 05:53 AM

I second Anguilla or BVIs.
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 08:03 AM

Have you considered Mexico? We love Jamaica, but found ourselves in love with Mexico. Playa del Carmen is a great choice and Isla Mujeres is a fun little island that would make a great getaway. I like to go to places where I am not stuck at a resort and Mexico fits the bill. St. Barths is amazing but very pricey. I'm not sure it's really worth it, but I'm sure others would argue. Good luck.
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 11:53 AM

If you're talking about great beaches, bars and restaurants, Barbados fits the bill.
We stay at the Hilton which was built on the sight of the old hotel. It's located close to Bridgetown and built next to a fort that's fun to explore. The hotel has water views and sandy beaches on both sides of the peninsula. If you stay in an Executive Floor room, you have a continental breakfast, tea and pastries in the afternoon and a happy hour in the evening with so much food and drinks that many people opt to make it their dinner. The resort has multi-pools with an infinity-edge pool on the top,and a whirlpool by the pool bar. There are three restaurants.
Now the only thing you have to do is pack
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback! We want to stick to an island that gives us the easiest travel from Seattle, so we will most likely rule out the Out Islands & Barbados. Seriously considering Plantana on Grand Cayman.
Old Jul 19th, 2008, 06:24 PM

Plantana is a good choice...
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 12:10 AM

CS - you rebel you!