Need suggestions - traveling with a 15month old

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2006, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

O! Wise Travellers, need your valuble advice on where to go, planning for 6-7 nights.. wife and I traveling with our 15month old.

Our mission - relax, unwind, laze around.
Want to see the clear blue waters and white sands. Would love to make 1 or 2 day-trips to catch scenic spots/historical sites. Need a place with kitchenette as we love to make our own bkfasts.

Choices - as of now narrowed down to these:
Cozumel
Kauai
San Juan

Please advice if these sounds reasonalble and sensible. Would welcome alternate suggestions.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 06:55 AM

Hi zirconia! May I ask why San Juan and not nearby Vieques? San Juan is a great destination, don't get me wrong....but I sense the need for a more quiet place, especially with a 15 month old. The three places you have listed are about as different from each other as you can get. Are you limited due to FF miles?
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 07:03 AM

Zirconia,
Kauai is a beautiful island.I would recommend the Marriott on Poipu Beach..it's great for children.It was voted as the best family beach in Hawaii on the Travel Channel.

I live on the East Coast so I have only been to Kauai 1 time but would love to go back.

I have been to Kauai,St John and Aruba and Kauai is the most beautiful island.St John would also be a nice place..the beaches are nice and the waters are pretty calm.

I guess it just depends on where you are located as to how far you want to fly.

Good luck in your search!

Christie
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

CarribeanSoul...thanks, didnt know of Vieques. I am looking into it now. Yes Iam limited by where FF and where AA flies
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 07:20 AM

I think Vieques would be an excellent choice for you. In its current state....relatively unspoiled....from recent press that will soon change, inevitably. It is near the top of my list of islands to get to, which I have not yet seen. Of course....stranded on a sandbar anywhere sounds pretty good to me right now.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 07:40 AM

The only suggestion that I can make is to seriously consider a one bedroom wherever you go and even perhaps look into renting someone's timeshare. My wife and I were in Aruba with our then 6 month old in January and let me tell you it's no fun having to sit in a dark room and not talk until the baby falls asleep.

Try this link http://www.vacationtimesharerentals....re-rentals.asp

I hope that this helps.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 07:47 AM

Where will you be flying from and what is your budget for this trip? If you're on the east coast, then a six night trip to Kauai with a 15 month old will be pretty exhausting and ditto the same for a Caribbean trip from the west coast.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

We are right in the middle - Flying out of DFW. Only Cozumel is a direct flight, rest are connections via LAX or MIA. We may be able to break the journey in LAX or MIA if needed, so that gives a little breather.
Regarding budget.. hmm...i dont want to draw the line of divide yet. .as am still exploring the options.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 08:11 AM

Let me offer an island suggestion and two hotel recommendations. Providenciales on the Turks and Caicos is a perfect destination for those who want clear blue waters and white sands. Grace Bay Beach, where most of Provo's hotels are located, is one of the finest in the Caribbean. The island itself is quiet and there aren't a lot of historical sites to see. But as a place to relax, unwind, and laze around, it's hard to beat.

Two very nice hotels on Grace Bay with kitchens (and fine on-site restaurants) are the Sands (http://www.thesandsresort.com/) and Royal West Indies (http://www.royalwestindies.com/). There are many great hotels and condos from which to choose but these two will give you excellent value.
Old Mar 8th, 2006, 08:15 AM

Check out Turks and Caicos. We took our 18 month old to the Sands. It is a quick trip from the east coast and most of the hotels are condo style with a kitchen (very handy with a little one). To top it off, grace bay is beautiful. White sand and relatively calm clear water.