Caribbean or Belize

Feb 1st, 2006, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Caribbean or Belize

Hi everyone!

I've got to say honeymoon planning is hard work! I think I have 3 great ideas, and need help selecting the best trip. Your advise will be very much appreciated:

Our primary interests are:

relaxing on beautiful beaches as much as possible
Hiking to spectular sites
Snorkeling
Romantic waterfront dinners
Drinks at a beach bar
Live music (nothing fancy) at night
Staying with in our $5000-$6000 budget.

Which of this is best:

Option 1: Renting a villa on St Barts for 7 days and chartering a boat for 4 days for island hopping.

Option 2: Renting a villa on St. John, and chartering a boat for 4 days for island hopping.

Option 3: Spending 11 days in Belize where we would spend 7 days on the coast an 4 days inland.

Feb 1st, 2006, 12:29 PM

First off, if it is within your budget and you are serious about island hopping, your best bet is Option 2. St. John is a beautiful island, 3/4's of which is a National Park so you'll find some excellent hiking among lush foliage and local flora and fauna. The island is also blessed with lots of great white and light sand beaches and an abundance of first class "off-beach" and "boat access" snorkeling sites boat, a variety of very good restaurants and bars plus you are smack dab in the middle of the premiere sailing waters in the Caribbean (with access to the 20 plus islands and cays of the USVI's and BVI's). You can check out villa rentals at such sites as:
www.wimco.com
www.destinationstjohn.com
www.GreatCaribbeanGetaways.com
www.stjohnproperties.com
www.island-getaways.net

For both crewed and bareboat sailboat charters go to:
www.moorings.com
www.visailing.com

Do a google search for "villa rentals" or "yacht Charters" plus name of island for even more leads.

To comment on your other alternatives:
Option 1 - St. Barth's is similar to St. John in topography but it is not a lush and has many more villas to rent. You won't find nearly as many places to go hiking and the snorkeling is nowhere near as good as on St. John. The island does, however, have one of the largest concentration of fine upscale restaurants in all of the Caribbean as well as some very upscale and trendy shops. Because of distances involved you'd be limited to Anguilla and St. Martin the your island
hopping portion of your trip.

As for Option 3 - Belize has some great snorkel site but many are accessible only by boat and, quite honestly, the beaches you'll encounter do not hold a candle to the ones you'll find on St. John or St. Barth's.
Mar 4th, 2006, 02:48 PM

We stayed at Laru Beya in Plencia, Belize. Great beach,pool,kayaking,sailing,windsurfing
on site. Wonderful people run it. Number of cayes about half hour boat ride.Nextdoor is Roberts,2 restaurants, 1 on the beach, 1 on the lagoon (great sunsets) music 3 nights a week. For hiking, jaguar preserve is about 30 miles away. Take a boat trip to Monkey River. Go on a sunset sail.
Mar 6th, 2006, 04:35 AM

I began my week in Belize searching for a beautiful beach but soon lowered my expectations for an acceptable beach. If a beautiful beach is important, I'd cross Belize off your list. Belize has a lot of sea grass that grows right up to the shores of the beaches. It's nothing like the Caribbean. If I were to go back to Belize, I'd do the interior only and forget about beaches.
Mar 8th, 2006, 02:17 PM

I've been to Belize twice in the past five years and I have loved it. Each time we stayed a week in the rainforest and a week on a small island. Try to stay a few nights on a remote island, as we did- the beaches are incredible (the bluest water and whitest sand you could ever imagine), with some of the best snorkeling and SCUBA diving. It may be a little secluded for your taste, but even just a few days on a romantic, remote island will have you hooked on true island life.

Good luck with your search.. I will try to find the site of the cottage/villa we stayed at and post it when I get a free moment.
Mar 8th, 2006, 02:30 PM

We stayed at South Water Caye in the Leslie cottages at IZE. Again, it is a tiny little island- only 12 acres- and the cottages aren't extremely luxurious (but they are very nice, nonetheless). However, the island itself is PARADISE and I don't think I'll ever find a more gorgeous beach. I would recommend staying at least a few days at South Water Caye and then the other days inland, where you can do the hiking, music and bar thing. Happy traveling!

P.S. Here is a link: http://www.ize2belize.com/belize/ize...watercaye.html

Search this Thread