Need recommendations for chartered sailboat in BVI

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip for Summer 2011 to the BVI with the goal of chartering two sailboats for one week. We'll be 15 in all (including 4 kids - youngest will be 4 years old). Looking for any recommendations/experiences for those that have chartered sailboats in the area.
Thanks,
E
Old Jul 10th, 2010, 07:20 PM

check the Moorings. We started in Tortola and visited Virgin Gorda, Peter Island, Anegada. Our friends were sailors and my then boyfriend (now hubby) and I were complete novices. The Moorings gave us the opportunity to stock the boat before we sailed, which was a great help. I remember the islands being very close, so each sail was short and gentle. We set anchor each night in protected coves (had to make reservations if I remember correctly, but no trouble). We swam, relaxed, etc... There are so many opportunities to visit all the islands, sight see, hike and enjoy good food. We had a wonderful time about 11 years ago and are thinking of doing the same in the next year or so with our kids, youngest 2.5. Have fun!
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 01:02 AM

You won't go wrong with Voyage Charters (voyagecharters.com)based out of Sopers Hole Marina on west end of Tortola. Easy location to access either by way of ferry service from St. Thomas, VI or short drive from Bull Island Airport on Tortola, BVI. 40-50-ft catamarans are available either bare-boat or crewed charters. Had excellent experience on-board "Spellbound", one of the 50-ft catamarans in their pool which has 4-cabins plus aux sleeping facility. Bay View Inn adjacent to Marina offers nice land-side base if needed for overnight stay to accommodate incoming/outgoing travel timing in conjunction with boat rental. Ask for "Capt.Tom" recommendations for destinations or dining favorite spots. If you really want to be entertained, request him and/or his contingent to captain your excursion. (He will probably kill me for suggesting him in connection with the kids....kidding!)
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 03:13 AM

We charted twice with the Moorings with a Captain . They have I believe the largest selection of boats in the US and B.V.I.'s. They are not inexpensive but the boats will generally be no more than 3 years old, often less, and when we charted the rate for a Captain was $125.day. in todays dollars it might be $160+. If you want the utmost in relazation charter it with a cook as well for an extra $50+/- a day (often a couple) and you do not have to lift a finger and they amazingly are out of the way unless you engage them.
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick replies!
I had found the Moorings initially but, for some reason, only saw a listing for their 65 footer at a weekly rate of $25k which was on the high side. I'll check out Voyage as well.
If there are other suggestions out there, keep them coming!
E
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 06:17 AM

Check out the following (all have great reputations):

www.bviyachtcharters.com

www.cyoacharters.com

www.charterbluebayou.com

www.sailingbluemoon.com

www.yachtlionheart.com

Also, you might want to post your question on the BVI forum at www.traveltalkonline.co There are lots of BVI charter enthusiasts on that forum will to give advice.
Old Jul 11th, 2010, 06:20 AM

OPPS! That should be www.traveltalkonline.com
Old Jul 12th, 2010, 08:29 AM

Additional info regarding VoyageCharters.com : with young children in mind, there is very nice beach 5 minute shuttle ride away from marina @ Pirate's Cove (? think). Nice place to take families if needing activity while prepping boat before/end of sail.
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 06:44 AM

Are you thinking of a bareboat or a crewed boat? We sailed aboard the charter catamaran Mustang Sally and had an awesome time. I think they have 2 almost identical 44' cats available with knowledgeable crew including a gourmet chef so even the ladies get a vacation as well.
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 06:57 AM

Mustang Sally
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 09:29 AM

Considering today's economy,even though you are looking a year out, you are in excellent position to negotiate with the firms. As said the Morrings 50-55 ft. cats and 48-52 ft. sail boats are owned by individuals who have had less rental demand the past 2 years. That leaves you in an excellent position once you know the published rate to offer 25% off the summer rate and likely end up with 15% off more than enough to pay for one of their best Captains for each boat. Though they need a mate to handle the boat this may be where you might want to help sail but not have to be up at 5:30AM to put up the coffee.
We just used them again in Belize with a Captain on a 42 Ft. pierson and they cannot be beat, IMO.
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 12:10 PM

Moorings is not the place to look for a crewed charter boat. That is because they take a bareboat and place a local captain and possibly chef aboard. The bareboats are called bareboats for a reason, they come with nothing. A professional crewed charter boat comes with lots of toys and equipment and can include kayaks, snorkel gear, music, possibly satellite radio/tv, games and more depending on the boat/crew. And as far as working a deal, the good boats with good crew sell out in advance. The boats are the crews homes and have that extra flare that a bareboat does not.
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 03:01 AM

Sailorguy, Moorings does have "crewed" charter boats -- you are confusing their "captained" offerings (which are bareboats with a local captain) with their crewed offerings. The crewed boats are a cut above the rest of the fleet, offer a professional crew (who often live aboard the boat, and are typically a married couple), and have lots of amenities. Having gone bareboat, captained and crewed with Moorings, I can assure you that they are different.
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 03:27 AM

Callaloo; From what you are saying Moorings has a number of boats that are possibly of the 50 ft. 1-3 year level that are owned and the owners take on guests through the Moorings possibly as a means to support thei life style or to meet others? I suppose I did not think many folfs committed to purchase a $500,000+ boat and then become a B&B of sorts.
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 03:48 AM

The large/crewed Moorings boats, such as the 6200 catamaranas, are owned by individuals (just as all of their boats are), but in many cases, there are professional crews (not the owners) "assigned" to the boats who keep their stuff on board and run the boat on a crewed basis.

I'm always amazed at how many people (e.g. most of the charter fleets in the Caribbean and the US) are willing to buy a boat to put in charter service. If I were nuts enough to do it, I'd be happier to have it used as a crewed boat, where there is a dedicated crew to tend to it and keep the guests from abusing it, than as a bareboat. When I bareboat chartered a Hinckley in Maine, I treated like my own -- with tender loving care -- but not all charter guests are like that. It would KILL me if someone treated my boat the way I've seen people behave on charter boats. But the owners are either convinced that it's worth it for them economically to put a boat in charter (I've done the math -- doesn't work for me!); or they love the idea of saying they own a boat down in Roadtown/Marsh Harbour/Oyster Pond/Canouan/etc.
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 07:05 AM

I understand what you mean by "professionally crewed" with the expectation that everytime the boat you owned was requested that team was available and not taking out another boat because there had not been a request for "your" boat for 5-6 weeks.
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 07:58 AM

look at mine

www.british-virgin-islands-charters.com
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 03:58 PM

Festiva may be an option as well
Old Sep 25th, 2010, 09:22 AM

Latesail.com

Offer worldwide discounted chartered. most of the deals are for charters around 2 months prior to charter. However, recently many companies have been throwing weeks out for discount up to a year in advance in an attempt to drum up business.

Have you considered The Abacos, Bahamas. Safer, easy sailing, more sealife, better reefs, less people, cheaper rental rates, less boats on the water.... need I go any further.
Old Oct 19th, 2010, 04:58 PM

Callaloo, i am not cofusing anything at the moorings. Their crewed boats are bareboats they place a crew on for the season. If you look at other private charter yachts they have more amenities then the Moorings Crewed yachts such as satelitte radio, tv, better tenders, more music, often more water toys like kayaks and more. We have sailed now on Mustang Sally at www.sailmustangsally.com four times and the difference is very clear between the charter company boats and the private boats.