Need Island advice...

Jul 28th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Need Island advice...

Okay, I've been to the Caribbean before (Bahamas, Jamaica, Grand Cayman) and am looking to return. However, this time I am looking at Aruba, Virgin Islands, and Turks & Caicos. My husband and I are looking for quiet (less crowds) but not too remote (more beach and island to explore). Anyone have any ideas for islands/resorts/hotels? Would be willing to consider other islands.
Jul 30th, 2007, 03:46 AM

from what little info you have given. aruba is extremely happening not quiet. t&c extremely remote. really nothing to do except water sports and great food.
which leaves the virgins. if you could tell us your budget and more specifically how you want to spend your time ppl will suggest some specific resorts.
you could start by looking at caneel bay on st. john and long bay beach resort on tortola. if these are too remote st. thomas might work (ritz, marriott or secret harbour, if not remote enough perhaps someplace like little dix on virgin gorda or sandcastles on jost van dyke.
Jul 30th, 2007, 04:35 AM

IMO, T&C (Providenciales aka Provo) is quiet (not huge crowds) but not remote. My reason for saying this is that Provo has beautiful Grace Bay Beach (an 11 - 12 mile stretch of beach with many hotels and restaurants along it). It is relatively easy to get around the island, and there are other beaches/local areas to explore. It is true that the main attraction of Provo is the beaches and water, and that the island does not have the nightlife, shopping, and/or the opportunities for outdoor adventure (i.e., hiking, exploring rainforests, etc.) that some other islands have. Geographically, Provo is similar to Grand Cayman.

I agree that you will get better advice if you give more specifics in terms of your budget (and time of year for your trip), the type of things you want to do, and/or what you liked or disliked about the places you have already been.
Jul 30th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses! We are looking for less crowds vs. remote areas and are more into exploring the island (beaches, restaurants, shops, etc.) rather than just staying at the same ressort the whole week. Does that help? I will look at the places you suggested. Thanks!
Jul 31st, 2007, 06:01 AM

I guess it's ironic that you say you're looking for a quieter place with fewer crowds but have named some of the most busy islands in the Caribbean. If you want fewer crowds, go to Curacao, not Aruba; one of the Bahama Out Islands, not Providenciales; or St. Croix rather than St. Thomas or even St. John (though many posters here do love St. John). You could also try Vieques, though it's mostly an island for beaches and quiet times, not really for exploration. Grenada might also suit you, instead of an island like St. Lucia, if you are looking for something lush.

I'd recommend looking off the beaten path instead of directly in the beaten path if you want something a bit quieter.
Jul 31st, 2007, 05:22 PM

I'm thinking St John is for you based on your last post. It is a great little island to explore and has many awesome beaches to boot. Easy to day trip to the BVI's as well. We day trip to Jost Van Dyke every trip. You also could explore Virgin Gorda for the day. There are a lot of options for easy island hopping. If that is not your cup of tea, there is plenty to keep you busy on STJ.