Need info on Virgin Gorda/Tortola flights?

Jun 22nd, 2002, 06:17 AM
scubagirl

Need info on Virgin Gorda/Tortola flights?

I just returned from a boating trip which took me to Virgin Gorda/Tortola and I want to go back. I've been looking for information on flights from NYC to VIJ or Beef Island(tortola?) Airport. I've heard that most flights go thru San Juan, St. Thomas etc.
Does anyone know of a good flight itinerary, airline etc, that will do the trick. I'm not great with wasting time waiting between flights in strange departure lounges.
Any advice or info would be helpful, I'm just starting my research.
Thanks

Jun 22nd, 2002, 11:31 AM
cdt

As far as I know, you must fly through San Juan or St. Thomas to fly to the BVI.

You can go on a fairly small plane from San Juan to Tortola, or a very small plane from San Juan to Virgin Gorda, or very small planes from St. Thomas to either Tortola or Virgin Gorda.

Or, you can fly to St. Thomas and take the ferry to Tortola, or to Gorda (via Tortola). This works better for Tortola than for Gorda. Also, you may have a problem if your flight into St. Thomas arrives late in the day, or your return flight leaves early in the morning.

Jun 22nd, 2002, 04:18 PM
xxx

Go to aa.com you fly to san juan and get a connecting flight to beef island airport. the resort that you stay at usually has a pick up service to take you via boat to your final destination

Jun 23rd, 2002, 11:03 AM
scubagirl

Thanks for the info.
Any other bits of information you'd like to share. I'm just starting my research.

Jun 23rd, 2002, 12:06 PM
bvilover

Check out puddle jumpers into VG if you are staying there. Saves time usually and landing strip on VG everyone should do at least once. Air Sunshine, Air St. Thomas and there are others. Staying on Tortola you fly into EIS.

Jun 24th, 2002, 10:15 AM
paula

Hi Scubagirl - I can relate to you wanting to go back to the BVI's! They are wonderful islands. My husband and I are headed to Tortola on Saturday for our 4th trip to the BVI's. Yes, you are correct, you have to connect in San Juan. No large flights can go into Beef Island. AA flies ATR's there from San Juan. We've had great experiences with Air Sunshine as well. AA has the corner on the market and coming from New England it's pretty much the way to go. Some like to fly into St. Thomas and take the ferry over - we haven't done that only because we're coming out of Boston and arrivals are pretty tight for catching the last ferry over. Depending on airline prices to Virgin Gorda, some opt to fly to Tortola and if necessary, stay the night before taking the ferry over to Virgin Gorda. Unfortunately coming from the Northeast, it takes 10-12 hours of travel time door to door, but it is soooooo worth it. A great board for BVI travel info is www.traveltalkonline.com which is currently down, but they expect to be up within a week or so. Also an excellent site is bviwelcome.com. Good luck! Paula