Need Honeymoon Advice

Sep 19th, 2002, 09:42 AM
Yvonne

Need Honeymoon Advice

Can anyone recommend a good island for honeymooning? We are looking for somewhere with amenities and a beautiful beach that isn't overrun by tourists. Not necessarily looking for an all-inclusive resort as we also don't want to pay an arm and a leg.

I had heard that the DR was the "undiscovered Carribean," and very affordable, but have seen some postings indicating that it is dirty and dangerous. Does anyone have a different opinion or have another suggestion?

Thanks!
Yvonne

Sep 19th, 2002, 11:23 AM
Val

Try Bermuda for gorgeous pink beaches! You'll have to rent scooter, as they don't have cars. Also, the dress code is jacket and tie.

Sep 19th, 2002, 12:02 PM
Marilyn

Hawaii would be my 1st choice, but it is quite expensive. Aruba is my 2nd favorite. The hotels along Palm Beach look similar to the hotels along Kaanapali Beach in Maui, but you cannot compare the rest of the island of Aruba (brown desert) to Hawaii (green mountains).

Sep 19th, 2002, 12:09 PM
Jean

For the life of me I will never understand the attraction of an island that has allowed rows of hotels to be built along all of it's beaches. That's why I don't go to Aruba, Grand Cayman etc. Yvonne specifically said she did not want someplace that is overrun by tourists. That completely disqualifies Aruba, Marilyn. Maybe it's your idea of paradise but it's not mine and from the sound of it, not Yvonne's either.
How about the British Virgin Islands, you'll get peace and quiet and no crowds, TCI is another possibility. St Barth is one of my favorites and it doesn't have to be extremely expensive. There are many beautiful places where you don't have to be overrun by people who's idea of luxury is Atlantis or the Hyatt in Aruba.

Sep 19th, 2002, 12:10 PM
Jennifer

I second Bermuda, was there last month. Beautiful water, clean, & seemed very safe. Great honeymoon place.

Sep 19th, 2002, 12:32 PM
jackflack

Take into consideration the time of year when looking into Bermuda.

Just got back from the DR for our 5th anniversary and had a great time. It is a poor country and we also read reports of dangers etc. We felt completly at ease and walked into town on several occasions. For the best DR info try

http://www.debbiesdominicantravel.com/

Spent our honeymoon in the BVI's and would have to say that this was a nice option for honeymooners. Likewise check out http://www.traveltalkonline.com/wwwthreads/postlist.pl?Cat=&Board=bvi

Sep 19th, 2002, 12:48 PM
Honeymooner

Our suggestion!
St. John, USVI, Bermuda or St. Barth's.
All gorgeous, clean, safe.

St. John was our favorite. Bermuda was overpriced.