Reload this Page >

Need Help Picking Resort on Grand Cayman

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 12:31 PM
kris

I'm trying to plan a vacation to Grand Cayman this year, but I need help picking a good resort. (My favorite was Caneel Bay in St. John, if that gives you something to compare). I'm willing to pay the extra money if it is worth it. I want excellent food, beautiful beaches, and a nice room. I'm also looking for excellent service from the staff. It's the little extras that make a vacation. Any suggestions?

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 06:51 PM
KArie

I would stay at the new ritz if it is complete. If not I would probably stay at the Hyatt. We were there in 2000 and stayed at the Westin and we were disaapointed. It was clean with a gorgeous beach and friendly service but it def wasn't like a four Seasons or Ritz. The Hyatt is supposed to be better but I think most rooms are across the street form the beach. the island itself is gorgoues though lacks the culture and warmth of other caribbean spots. They were building what looked to be gorgeous ritz but I have no idea if it is finished.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 05:20 AM
Cheryl

I just visited Grand Cayman this past May with my husband and spent a bit of time on Seven Mile Beach. (We have also stayed at Caneel Bay in the past and loved it.) While I did not stay at either the Westin or Hyatt, if picking one of these based on location on the beach and quality of the beach setting, I would pick the Westin ... no question. The Westin was located on a very nice stretch of 7MB and also had a nice pool area. There was a fair amount of people on their beach, but they could place the beach chairs whereever and however they liked on Westin's beach. The beach at the Hyatt was incredibly crowded and rather small. The Hyatt has their beach chairs lined up in rows facing the ocean and that is where they have to stay. The chairs are extremely close to one another ... If being on a nice beach is important I would definitely not choose the Hyatt. <BR> <BR>We stayed at a small inn outside of town a bit off the beaten path which we really enjoyed (Turtle Nest Inn). However, for staying on 7MB, I would recommend the Westin if you want a full-service recort (although their beach still had a bit too many people for what we like, but no where near as crowded at the Hyatt's). I would also recommend condo-type units on the north end of 7MB ... ones that come to mind that we liked were Aqua Bay Club, Discovery Club, and Plantana, although there are probably more ... these places all had a very nice beach area. <BR> <BR>We really enjoyed Grand Cayman and plan to go back some day, although I want to visit some other islands first. However, it is very different from St. John. Grand Cayman is a flat island, with most activities centered around its beach and waters ... i.e., snorkeling, swimming, and just relaxing!!

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 11:13 AM
Cheryl

One more bit of info ... In the beginning of May there was still little work done at the site of the Ritz on Seven Mile Beach. It looked like they had some foundation work done on the beach side of the road, and one day we saw bulldozer type equipment doing some excavation work, but that was about it. It seems like there has been discussion for a couple of years on this website of the Ritz opening, but it looks like there is quite a bit left to build. Also, from the signs posted looking for people to buy units at the Ritz, it appears that the buildings on the beach will be ownership, condo-type units (which owners would probably rent out if they want to), and a "regular" hotel/resort would be on the other side of the road.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 10:58 PM
John

Re the Ritz: There WILL be a separate beach tower on the beach side as well which will ONLY house suites and "concierge level" type rooms (can't think of the proper term for these rooms at this time!).

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 04:46 AM
hugh

Right, John.The whole Ritz set up will be just like the Hyatt on GC. The bulk of the facilities (SPA, Golf, Tennnis, Meeting halls, etc) will be across the street. The condos will be on 7 mile beach. But they will be rennted out. However, they will be large suites (2 and 3 bedroom) so expect to pay BIG BUCKKS!!!!

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 06:31 AM
Scott

At the rate they're going, the Ritz should be ready by sometime around 2010. Don't hold your breath. The Westin is without a doubt a better choice than the Hyatt, but a condo is even better in my opinion. You'll pay less for a condo, and get a lot more as far as rooms go. The Westin is nice, but WAY over-priced. You can get some great condos for much less....try AquaBay.