Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Need help deciding where to go...Please HELP!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2011, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning our one year anniversary trip and we want to visit the Caribbean. We are having a tough time deciding between spending time at both Turks and Caicos and the Dominican Republic, or spending time in the smaller islands such as St. Kitts, St. Lucia, or Antigua. We are looking for romance and enjoying each other, while also doing fun things together and getting out in the towns and eating delicious food.

Our budget is approximately $2500, not including airfare or accommodations, that will be what we plan on spending on food, drinks, and activities. I have always wanted to go to TC however, I am unsure about going to the Dominican Repbulic? I'm wondering if doing some of the other islands that I mentioned such as St. Kitts, St. Lucia, or Antigua would be a better vacation for us? If anyone could give us some advice it would help us decide on where to spend our anniversary. We want beautiful beaches, but also really fun things to do on the islands! Any input helps, thanks everyone.
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 09:19 AM

I think it really depends on what "fun things" you really want to do. The island are so different. Maybe list your top 3 or 4 priorities that you must have, and then it would be easier to recommend an island. T&C and DR are worlds apart.
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 09:59 AM

DR is mostly All-Inclusive Hotels. T&C not so much. Which arrangement are you looking for? Also, what month do you plan to travel. T&C is north of all the other islands and will not be as warm in the winter months.
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Ok I'll provide more info, thanks for the feedback. Oh and for a clarification we want to go to two islands since we never get away and it will be our last big trip before kids come into the picture so we plan on doing either DR and TC or southern caribbean islands maybe St. Lucia, St. Martin, Antigua, Barbados, etc.

Top Priorities:
1. Water activities such as fishing, water tours, snorkeling, and sunset cruises
2. Great food/laid back bars
3. Relaxing/romantic beaches

These are our main priorities and we just want to know if we'd have more fun doing TC and DR or two of the southern caribbean islands. Thanks for all the help, also we don't mind if it's AI or not. We could do one week AI and another not, that doesn't matter to us as much. Any feedback is appreciated.
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Oh and we will be visiting in May 2012
Old Jul 20th, 2011, 01:33 PM
KVR

From your list, T & C or Aruba will fit your criteria.

It will be quite difficult to do 2 Islands back to back. In order to get from T & C to the DR, you'll probably have to fly back to the US and then re-depart from there. That is a lot of money wasted in airfare.

Better choices for Island hopping would be Barbados to St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines and Grenada. There is a tour company that offers day trips or overnight trips from Barbados to those Islands.

St. Lucia to St. Vincent and the Grenadines and Martinque.

Aruba to Curacao and Bonaire.
Old Jul 21st, 2011, 07:05 AM

Grand Cayman has everything you are looking for.
Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 10:44 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Not the Dominican Republic. I also would suggest just picking one island for your trip. Changing islands will only add expense and detract from your actual vacation time imo.