Search

Need Bermuda Help

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 06:42 PM
Karie

Need Bermuda Help

My husband and I and our ten month old daughter are planning a trip to Bermuda in either August or early Sept. I have two general questions. First, is there a big diff in the weather from aug to early Sept and if so which time do you recommend? And 2, I am very confused about where to stay. Our main goal is to stay somewhere as nice as possible that will also be family friendly. Close beach and/or pool access is key for us as we are trying to juggle nap times etc. We would also like easy access to gold, snorkeling etc and at least on efamily friendly/casual restaraun on site or nearby. The reefs sounds great but I am afraid they won't welcome our daughter. Have read quite a bit about the The Elbow Beach, southHampton Princess and the Sonesta and would love pros/cons of each. I have heard mixed things about southampton Princess and that it is tires and a hike to get to beach. We will also need reliable babysitting. Would love to know how the quality/ambiance compares among SH Princess, elbow Beach and sonesta. Also am I missing any great hotel/resorts. The Michael douglas hotel sounds great too but appears to be in the middle of no where which would be a negative. <BR> <BR>Thanks

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 08:13 PM
Michelle

Stayed at both Elbow Beach and Southampton Princess, visited Sonesta in summer 99. Felt Elbow Beach rooms were very worn and overpriced - however, beach and grounds are gorgeous. Left to go to SHP which was MUCH nicer (room wise). From our visit to Sonesta it was quite a step down quality wise but we didn't stay there. Didn't have any kids so can't comment on the babysitting. The beach at SHP is a hike if walking but there are constant shuttle trolleys provided by the hotel so it is really not a problem. Considering you have such a small child I would probably pick accomodations based on the amount and quality of babysitting services. If we ever go back I would try Cambridge Beaches because I've heard great things about them but I'm not sure what their kid policy is. Hope this helps more than it confuses. You will love Bermuda - I guarantee it - just don't be surprised if the accomodations wherever you stay don't live up to your expectations for the cost they are charging.

Old Jul 4th, 2001, 06:58 AM
Parrot Mom

Try...www.keyguide.com/cgi-local/index.cgi...these Bermuda Obsessed People know all there is to know.. The weather will be hot and the water near 80 degrees..

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 04:56 AM
J T Kirk

We stayed at the Southhampton Princess last year. They were towards the end of remodeling. I have stayed there before and they have a lot to offer: some nice on-site restaurants, gold course, swimming pool, own private beach, moped rentals, shopping. BUT, my only hangup about large hotels is that you feel like just a "number." Though, they are nice and respond quickly, it's a HUGE impersonal place. I think i'd look for some place more intimate, but with children, you may not want that. The weather should be pretty much the same in late Aug as in Sept.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 05:10 AM
J T Kirk

That's G O L F, not gold. If they had gold, I'd stay there alot more often.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 05:33 AM
gdh

just back last week...stayed at horizons and cottages....excellent spot..old world bermuda style..just up the hill from sister property the coral beach club (pvt hotel/club)..you get the priacy and intimacy of horizons and access to beach, tennis, spa and dining at coral beach club..dine around relationship w/coral beach and waterloo house restaurant on the harbor in hamilton..

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 12:49 PM
KT

Check out Pompano Beach Club (www.pompano.bm). We stayed there last summer and had a great time. The beach is the best!! It is on the South Shore and convenient to all activities. Also, don't rule out the Reefs, just because you don't think they will welcome your daughter. Bermuda is a family friendly place and there are families at all resorts. Good luck!!

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 03:33 PM
maria

My first trip to BDA was last year, late August to early September (returned on Labor Day). Weather is hot and humid--very similar to NC coast and Atlanta--where I live so I was fine with the temperature. I have stayed at SHP twice and was actually worried about staying there as it is very family oriented and I am a single, no kids traveler. I did not hang out at the pool too much because of all the kids. I found the staff to be very helpful and friendly. I have stayed there one more time since and had another positive experience. SHP is convenient to great beaches and has lots of restaurant options as well as easy ferry access into Hamilton. The SHP shuttle service is wonderful so you don't have to hike up and down the hill. The employees at the Conceige desk were all great helping with reservations. I have no input on babysitting services.

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 09:13 AM
Jan

Note: I don't have children, and cannot comment on specific services for them, but from my experience: <BR> <BR>I've stayed at the Reefs, which is very nice. Can't say enough about the charming hospitality, and the beach and smallish pool are VERY convenient. The rooms felt a bit small, but I know that they were renovated (and some enlarged?) this past year. That said, there were SOME children around who were VERY well behaved, but I didn't see many infants (but this is a small hotel.) It seemed that families tended to book into (1) the larger hotels that had lots of services and dining options like the Sonesta, SH Princess, and Elbow Beach (just renovated this year,)where kids could run around a bit more, or (2) the smaller hotels that were right on the beach that seemed to cater to families. The Reefs will make anyone feel welcome, but this property (CAmbridge Beaches even more so?) might seem a bit staid for very young children. But the pool and beach are very close, which might be important. The Reefs is also right on the bus line, easy walk. <BR> <BR>Another travel authority that begins with "F" recommends the following as family-friendly: Elbow BEach, Grotto Bay, SH Princess, Sandpiper Apartments (bidget), Rosemont, Sonesta. Some of this has to do with the presence of kitchens in the room, many services, etc. <BR> <BR>From my visiting (not staying), Pompano and the Pink Beach Club may also be good options. However, think about how you will want to get around. POmpano and Ariel Sands have a distance to walk between the bus pick-up and the hotel, even though they are right on the bus line -- not bad for an adult, but might be difficult if you are toting a child on a hot day. You are right that Ariel Sands is a bit out of the way -- the bus line that runs by stops earlier in the evening, so this will mean cabs. However, the beach and pool are right there, and there is a laid-back atmosphere. So: you might think about how much you want to stick by the hotel and have amenities right there. <BR> <BR>If I can mention it: the Reefs is in easy walking distance to the Sonesta. We occasionally got "refugees" from the Sonesta in the Reef's lounge, looking to get a bit more adult, intimate atmosphere and away from the throngs. In the other direction, we'd go to the Sonesta for an easy ATM, newstand, etc. <BR> <BR>Something else to consider: most of the Bermuda hotels require MAP (breakfast and dinner) during the season. Most have a few dine-around options, but some don't (Pink Beach Club), some allow breakfast-only (Ariel?), and some might allow straight pay-as-you-go for meals (Princess, I think?) Check these options out to provide the variety and budget that you need. <BR> <BR>This time, we are booking to Horizons & Cottages for a change. This is a nicer property with great food (part of the Relais & Chateau association,) but the drawback is that it is not on the beach, and will require a walk. Also: the public beach is a short walk (free), but gets have admission to the private club for an additional $10? fee. The pool is on-site. Also: I don't think Horizons accepts credit cards, so plan ahead.

Old Jul 14th, 2001, 10:38 AM
michelle

We just got back from Bermuda yesterday and I do understand your dilemma about the hotels. We stayed at the Stonington on Elbow beach and this might be the hotel you're looking for. Although small (96 rooms) its really friendly and easy to get around in. What I mean by that is that you don't have to walk forever to get somewhere. The rooms on the lower level ( these are premiums) have a private patio that face the ocean with access to the beach. It literally takes I minute to get from your room, down the wooden steps onto the beach. Elbow Beach is a long, wide beach thats terrific for taking walks on and of course a great beach for swimming in. <BR> <BR>There's a mini supermarket close by(5- 10 minute walk) and you can stock up with supplies as the room has an empty mini fridge in it. <BR>Every morning buffet breakdfast is provided in the main dining room and hours are generous. Also at 4:00 tea&coffee and little sandwiches & cookies are provided in the lobby so while the baby is napping one of you can run up and bring down some goodies and you can enjoy it while sitting on your patio with a view of the ocean. <BR>Right next door is the Elbow Beach hotel and there is a beachfront restaurant that is really family friendly--lots of babies and little ones--while the parents ate(a great menu) the kids played on the beach in front of them(this was during dinner). Its really beautiful and its only 10 minute walk on the beach ffrom the Stonington. <BR>As much as the Elbow Beach Hotel is suppose to be great for kids I would only stay there if I had older kids as there is a Kids Club but the grounds are so huge that you need a shuttle to take you from the beach to way way up to the top where the lobby is. <BR>Hope this helps you a bit. <BR>

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 07:03 AM
Beth

FYI - When we were at Cambridge Beaches a couple years ago, children were not allowed in the dining room in the evening, although they could dine on the patio! We only saw one child at the resort at that time - which was heavenly since we were on only our second getaway in 10 years without children! <BR> Karie, I believe the most convenient hotel with a child would be the Sonesta. Beaches and pools are right there and convenenient to rooms for mid-day naps and "oops, I forgot the ..." moments. They have an excellent spa and pretty common areas. I believe they also have a convenience store and ATM, etc. Reefs has LOTS of stairs, as it is built into a hillside. Personally, I don't think it would be particularly convenient with a baby. SHP is THE resort, but as noted, a trolley ride to the beach. You can also use their golf resort and pay to use any other facilities they offer if you are staying right across the street. I do not know anything about babysitting services at any of the resorts. <BR> I don't think the weather will vary greatly between late August or early Sept, but I do think it might be a bit less busy and slightly more peaceful after Labor Day. Also the Manowar Jellyfish will be more post-season the later you go! <BR> One word of advice: be realistic about what "vacation" means once you have wee ones in tow! Sometimes it is just nice to be in a different environment, and away from the daily chores of laundry, yard work, and picking up groceries! Time to ignore schedules, indulge baby, and sip a pina colada by noon more than make up for the "perfect" hotel room or dining experience! Hope your trip turns out to be just what you're looking for!

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 07:28 AM
Jan

I very much agree with the wise advice that Beth gave. With a very young one, the stairs at the Reefs (where I've stayed) and the distance from the beach at the Princess (whre I've visited) might be a hassle. The Sonesta is probably a good choice for child-friendly amenities and proximity to the beach. <BR> <BR>That said, today's (7/15/01) New York Times traveler advice column replied to a family asking for a recommendation for a trip with 3- and 5- year olds. It suggested GRotto Bay (smaller property, right on the beach) and the SH Princess. Mostly, these recommendations were based on having LOTS of activities and baby sitting arrangements on-site or readily arranged. You can probably view the column at www.nytimes.com and find a button for travel (I get the paper copy at home.)

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 11:28 AM
jmac

We have stayed at the Reefs three times..each with our 1st son at one yr and the next time with two sons (3 and 5 mos) and recently with two sons (4 and 1 1/2). They are very welcoming to them and there were more babies staying there then I have ever seen. We going back next June! Actually, I perferred it when it was just my children. I have also stayed at the Stonington a number of years ago. They said children were welcome when I was back there for dinner. It was a very nice property.

Old Jul 19th, 2001, 07:49 AM
Glen Cuoco

Lots of good advice given here, Karie. Just one note, though - Ariel Sands is not in the middle of nowhere, it is centrally located and convenient to many things. It only takes about 10 minutes, by cab, to get to the South Shore beaches and just a few minutes to get into the main city of Hamilton. If you want to visit St. George's - a cab can get you there in 20 to 25 minutes. If you want to do the other end of the island (Dockyard), it's only 25 - 30 minutes. Of course, our island is only 21 square miles, but it's not a bad idea to stay at a place, like Ariel Sands, at all. Good luck with your choice!

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 07:30 AM
Jan

Agreed -- Ariel Sands is not at the edge of the earth. It is a gorgeous property, lovely beach on site, very good restaurant with dine-around options, etc., but it is away from most of hte other hotels, etc. I don't want to discourage you from staying there. However, we found the bus lines more convenient from south shore places like The Reefs. The last I knew (and my info could be outdated), the bus that runs by Ariel Sands stops relatively early in the evening. This means that you must rely on cabs -- a concern, not a damning issue. <BR>Also: I am a good walker, but prefer not to have to walk too far if its warm and humid, and I'm in silk. Ariel has a longish driveway to the bus stop, and I didn't notice any shuttles (again, this is not a walk that I'd usually object to, except when we are dressed for dinner and the weather is rather warm.) Similarly, when we are dressed up (we like the kitchens at WAterloo House, etc.), we are not in the mood for scooters. Again, it comes down to how you think you'll spend your time. I could be very happy just parking myself at Ariel Sands.