Need an island!!

Jul 18th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Original Poster

Need an island!!

Hello all! Hubby and I traveled to St. Barth two years ago on our 10th anniversary. It was wonderful! We rented a private villa and practically had the beaches to ourselves. Couldn't have asked for anything better...

I'm looking for some help - we are in the beginning stages of planning another kids-free trip in June, 2011. We don't care about fancy resorts - we want a place where the beaches are uncrowded. I have looked at Culebra - off Peurto Rico. We won't spend as much money this time as we did in St. Barth so please keep that in mind..I also would like the option to sunbathe topess - hench, the uncrowded beaches..haha!

Thanks so much!!
Jul 18th, 2010, 10:55 PM

Alot of islands will have uncrowded beaches around June time being off season. For example Grenada, Antigua (except Dickenson Bay which was crowded on our last visit in Jun 2010, but Jolly Bay was practically deserted), Anguilla to name a few. Barbados can also be uncrowded depending where you stay, Sandy Lane beach was uncrowded when we stayed there during Jun 2009. The beach at Anse Cochon in St Lucia was also uncrowded once the various catamarans had left (snorkeling excursions).

Antigua has a clothes optional beach, its by the Hawksbill Hotel, nobody was on it when I took a look. In fact it seemed like there wasn't more than about 5-10 people on any of the 4 beaches of Hawksbill hotel. Martinique and Guadeloupe it's not an issue to be topless on any beach, even some of the beach vendors were topless. Beach at Les Salines in Martinique is absolutely beautiful.
Jul 19th, 2010, 03:38 AM

If you really like topless, you have to stick to the French islands--St. Martin, St. Barth, Martinique, Guadaloupe. There is also a nude beach in Jamaica.

Most other islands frown upon it, and the British islands such as Anguilla, Barbados, Bahamas and Turks and Caicos it's actually illegal.
Jul 19th, 2010, 04:37 AM

blamona has a good point, it is best to stick to the french islands if you really want to go topless on the beach.
Jul 19th, 2010, 05:12 AM

Hi Jenifer. Our family just returned from a trip to the Dominican Republic (we've been there a few times before), and we highly recommend it, particularly the north coast. You find lodging from cheap hotel rooms to multi-million dollar villas that sleep 30! We stayed at Hotel La Catalina (lacatalina.com) and my wife and I will likely be back next year...without the kids! It is an extremely romantic setting where each day we awoke to a breathtaking ocean view. They have a beach shuttle to Playa Grande where we saw topless sunbathers (it is NOT a nude beach, but topless is not frowned upon). We had the western portion of the beach all to ourselves, and during the month of June you are in the off season, so beaches are uncrowded. The exception was on a Sunday, where there were more locals, but even then everyone congregates on the eastern part of the beach, near the food vendors. A couple we spoke to at the hotel did a sunset horseback riding excursion on the beach where they finished off with a bottle of champagne and a photographer took pictures of them..I think we'll be doing that when we go back! We took a horseback riding tour with Rancho Paraiso (Ranchoparaisodr.com) and it was a highlight of our trip, just as the staff at the hotel promised. The hotel helped that couple with the arrangements also. And by the way, the north coast of the Dominican Republic has some of the most beautiful beaches we've ever seen...in the Caribbean or elsewhere...mountains behind you and a beautiful beach surrounded by cliffs in front of you. We've stayed at all-inclusive resorts in the Caribbean, but I'd stay away from that, as we've wanted to get out after a few days, so you end up paying for food outside of the resort anyway.
Jul 19th, 2010, 04:33 PM

Curacao´s beaches are pretty uncrowded....
Jul 23rd, 2010, 11:45 PM

<>

Barbados & Bahamas are not British, they are independent islands.
Jul 24th, 2010, 04:57 AM

I didn't say they belonged to British, but they do follow British rules.