Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Need a Vote: Best Place for Adult All-Inclusive Vacation??

Old Jan 25th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Would appreciate your advice. Am planning a Caribbean vacation for 4 couples -- NO KIDS. Requirements: All-Inclusive; Good water sports; not TOO expensive. Would like to be fairly close to shopping / downtown area.
(Not going until March, 2008).
Thanks for the help
~Chilepepper
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 01:12 PM

Expense is relative, you'll get more answers if you gave a price range. Most of the best AI's without kids are fairly pricey -- $500+ per couple per day. Royal Hideaway is great and no kids but it's around $700 to $800 per day. Check out the Secrets Excellence Resorts, they are adult only. Most everything else will have kids. Other good resorts with an AI option in the Caribbean include Peter Island, Jumby Bay, Jamaica Inn. These may exclude kids under a certain age but their still may be kids. There just aren't that many adults only AI's that are not too expensive, especially in high season.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 03:03 PM

The Roayl Playa Del Carmen is adults only (no children under 14), is on a great beach, has wonderful food, and is right in Playa del Carmen. Just walk down the street for shopping.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 03:04 PM

My typing leaves a lot to be desired. That should be ROYAL Playa del Carmen.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the information, fellow Fodorites. I should give a little more info. When I say not too expensive, I guess I'd be looking at paying $5000 for the week (per couple). I realize that Adults Only is very expensive, so I should change that. How about somewhere that is not exclusively adults, but not overrun by kids? The first week of March should not be too bad anyway. Hope that helps! Keep the great advice coming!
~Chilepepper
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 06:16 AM

If that's your budget definitely check out Royal Hideaway. Most other resorts will have quite a few kids no matter when you go because parents travel with preschool age kids and babies at any time. We always go in March and found that to be the case. The Ritz in Jamaica has an all-inclusive plan - Key to Paradise, it's worth checking out but there will be kids. We also really liked the Curacao Marriott and it has an AI option but it's sort of a shame to take AI on Curacao because there are so many good restaurants. Smaller resorts such as Jamaica Inn and Nisbet Plantation Beach Club on Nevis do not attract many kids but they may not be active enough for you. Both have meal plans.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 08:16 AM

I also vote for the Secrets Excellence, check the one in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic is excellent.

http://www.secretsresorts.com/
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 01:43 PM

The Secrets Excellence is now just called Excellence.
I again recommend the Royal Playa del Carmen. It fits all your requirements.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 10:02 AM

Excellence (Punta Cana)is not that close to shopping or anything else for that matter, but it is beautiful. We recently did Sandals Whitehouse - would fit your bill, except for the close to downtown aspect. I tend to agree with the people who are recommending Playa del Carmen...it is an easy shopping restaurant area to access - either on foot or by taxi - and easy to navigate through the area safely on your own, if you use your head like all good traveller's should.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 06:34 AM

JUMBY BAY.....best AI ever!