Need a Vacation WithOut our Kids

Old Sep 21st, 2006, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a Vacation WithOut our Kids

HISTORY
Hello. My husband and I have been married for 10 years. We are in our early 30's. We have two daughters, a 6 year old and a 20 month old. We have never vacationed without them or haven't been away from them for 1 night at a time, and that has only happened about 2 times.

VACATION BACKGROUND
Before kids we went to St. Thomas and stayed at All-Inclusive Wyndham Sugar Bay and took 2 day trips to St. John.

Then when our first daughter was 3, we went on a 7 night Carnival Conquest, Western Caribbean Cruise. We stoped at Jamaica-did a day pass at Beaches Negril. In Grand Cayman-did the stingray, snorkel coral gardens, & 7 mile beach. And in Cozumel we went to the Chak.(??) Park and then to Nachio Com (??) beach.

WHAT WE WANT ON VACATION
We want an All-Inclusive Resort. Must have crystal clear(blue-turquoise) water and a nice beach with HAMMOCKS. Must also have a large pool-swim up bar would be nice. We are looking for mostly relaxation, but would also like to party (few drinks and some dancing) maybe once or twice-but definetly not a party place all the time. We live in B'ham and would be willing to fly out of Atlanta for better rates and a nonstop flight. We can only stay for 4 nights. We are looking to travel either in end March, end April-begin May or June 2007.

RESORTS/ISLANDS THINKING ABOUT
Wanted to go to different island, but not a have too. Considering: Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Cancun, Antigua, Turks and Cacios.
Thinking of Couples Resorts, Sandals Resorts, Beaches Resorts, Palace Resorts. (We don't have to do an adults only/couples only--we don't mind kids--we just want to be care free without our kids).

BUDGET
$2500.00 or less. Could maybe go $3000.00.

HELP/QUESTION
What is your opinion for us. This is a much needed vacation that has been put off for years. I just can't wait to go. Please give me some input-also with travelers that have vacationed after the horrible hurricanes last year--I have heard that the beaches of Negril and Cancun are now smaller and not as clear--have seaweed or seagrass.

Also, I am not a big fan of topless or Au Natural sunbathing. I know that it sometimes happens everywhere in the Caribbean-but I just don't want to be at a Resort with a balcony view of it or encounter it on the beach.

Thanks for any and all input.
Kimberley

Old Sep 21st, 2006, 11:30 AM
RT1

I would suggest Sandals in Antigua.
We were there last year and had a great time. It is all inclusinve.
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

RT1,
Thanks! I tried to price Sandals Antigua and it is over our budget. I would love to stay there, it looks beautiful.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Kimberley
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 07:56 AM

Kimberley,
We've been to several Adults Only All Inclusive resorts & Couples Swept Away (May 2006) is now one of my top contenders !!

I'm pretty sure that for only 4 nights, you could come in around your budget.

It has a gorgeous beach (soft, white sand & swimming-pool clear, aqua water). There are some hammocks on the beach (strung betw/ beautiful palm trees).

There is a brand new pool on one end of the resort. It has a swim-up bar section as well as 2 big hottubs on either side of it. The pool isn't huge, but it seemed to nicely accomodate the crowd there for our 8 night trip.

I wouldn't call CSA a party place, but there's a brand new disco in the Great House (right behind the new pool). It wasn't open yet when we were there, so I'm not sure what it's like. CSA is also pretty close (about a 5 minute cab ride) to some bars in Negril (like Rick's & Margaritaville). One night a week, CSA transports you to/from Margaritaville (but it's later at night, I think) if you want.

There is no Au Natural or Clothing Optional beach at CSA, so you don't have to worry about that. We spent every day at the new pool area, so I'm not sure if alot of women go topless on the beach or not.

We booked an Atrium room (2nd lowest room level) & we loved it !! The room had dark-wood shutters on all 4 walls (w/ screens behind them if you wanted to open the shutters) &, since we were on the 2nd (top) floor, we had a nice, vaulted, dark-wood ceiling. This was the most tropical-feeling room we've ever had on vacation !! AND, the balcony is HUGE, w/ a hammock on it (all Atrium rooms have a hammock on balcony).

Just in case you need to keep in touch w/ someone back home (about the kids,...), Couples resorts offers free internet (either in the new internet cafe or w/ free wifi connection if you have a laptop) (my husb used the wifi & had no problems).

Anyway, I think that Couples Swept Away would fit the bill nicely for you. You can check the Couples website to see all of the inclusions in your stay there.

I have tons of pics of CSA (in the folder "Couples Swept Away--May 2006") if you're interested:
http://photos.yahoo.com/jmrperotto

Jackie
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 12:31 PM

Would you consider Peter Island in the British Virgin Islands? My husband and I spend 4 nights there (left our toddler with family) a couple of years ago and loved it.
www.peterisland.com
I have pics from our trip if you're interested. You have to fly to Tortota and then take the resort's boat to the island (30-minute ride)...but it's worth it once you get there.

We were in Negril in August. Except for 2 days of bad algae, the water was very nice:
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...r/ef551e0f.jpg

Old Sep 27th, 2006, 03:40 AM
Original Poster

Caribtraveler,
Thanks for responding. That was a beautiful picture. I haven't even thought about the BVI--I will definetly check into it. It seems like a place I would like to vacation at. Thanks for the advice and the link.
Kimberley
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 03:44 AM
Original Poster

Jackie,
Oh my gosh, those are the most beautiful pictures. You seem to be like me. I take pictures of everything just like in your album. I really had CSA on my mind and it was in the top 3--now I have made my decision. I checked the price and it is in our budget!!!! I can't wait to go! Thanks for the info and pics. That room was heavenly--and I just love hammocks and it is a must have for this long needed vacation. I believe we will be going March 2007. I will let you know how it went. Thanks for also confirming all the great things I have heard about CSA by other people.
Kimberley
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 06:00 AM

I would vote for Couples Negril or Couples Swept away. We have been to CN twice and are going back this December. Great food, fantastic beach, wonderful service.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 06:42 AM

Kimberley,
I'm glad you got the easy part out of the way -- making your resort decision. Now you have the hard part -- waiting the 6 months til you go !!

Jackie
p.s. my husband always makes fun of me for taking so many pics (i.e. ..."Hey Jack, nice picture of the toilet !!"), but I do it anyway -- gotta love digital cameras !!