Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

need a cheap vacation away from the cold Northeast

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 12:56 PM
Jen

I'm trying to plan a vacation for me and 5 of my girlfriends for the last week in February. We really need to relax but it would be nice to have a few nights of fun as well. We're thinking about the Bahama's. It needs to be a fairly inexpensive vacation as well. Does anyone have any suggestions for us?

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 01:28 PM
Dori

Jen, give a little more info. What's inexpensive to you? I know this is not the caribbean, but last year in February through Apple Vacations, the Hyatt Regency (6 star) in Acapulco, air fare/7 nights was $699 from Chicago. My girlfriends and I had it booked but then they had to cancel. You may want to look at their website for very reasonable vacation packages.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 04:26 PM
d

Would not recommend Acapulco. Was there in September 2002 & it is very run down and dirty.

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 02:49 PM
Kathy

k

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 02:54 PM
Kathy

Sorry about the above error. Traveled to Bahamas Jan/Feb. Temps can be in the very low 70's and not great beach temp. Have had good luck with vacmart.com Look at their Dominican Republic packages. Their flights are with American.

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 03:10 PM
GM

Bahamas...it's too iffy. Inexpensive is tough...you're going at the height of high season. However, it can be done, if you realize you are not going to get Ritz Carlton accommodations; just clean and comfortable.<BR><BR>I'd say Aruba sounds like it might fit the bill for you, besides the Dominican.<BR><BR>I agree about the Vacmart website, as well as Expedia and Travelocity. They have great packages.<BR><BR>Have you gals considered a cruise to the Caribbean? The websites can help with that too.<BR><BR>Hope this helps.

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 05:29 AM
Parrot Mom

Depending on where you live GWV and TNT have charter trips from Boston and R.I., possibly Hartford to the Carribean and Mexico. The second week in January the Vacation Outlet is having their annual travel show at the Bayside in S.Boston and there are bargains galore.. Great resorts in the D.R. and prices are far less than Mexico and&Aring;ruba..