Search

Nassau Vacation

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nassau Vacation

We are going to Nassau in March to attend our daughter's wedding at Sandals. Unfortunately we cannot stay at Sandals because we will have our two sons (ages 21 and 19) with us. I've read some pretty nasty things here and other places about Nassau, and what a bad place it is to go on vacation for money reasons and also for just a general disappointing experience. Yet, I've also read some wonderful things and am unsure of what to believe. We have to go, obviously, since the purpose is to be at our daughter's wedding, but since we are going we will be staying for several days. I am hoping someone can tell me we will enjoy it???

Is the downtown area a better place to spend time, rather than at some of the resorts? We will either be staying in a timeshare compliments of my father in law, or will be staying at the Quality Inn at the corner of W. Bay and Nassau Street, due to the inexpensive price. Also plan to spend some good beach time...are there any beaches that are better than others?

Thanks for any input and ideas you can give me. We have never traveled anywhere tropical before so could use some insight.

Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 07:47 PM

I'd opt for the Time Share as the Quality Inn is not great, and it's not on a good beach.

If you don't get the Time Share, check the Nassau Beach Hotel which is not far from Sandals and is on Cable Beach which is beautiful. Also the beach at the Nassau Beach Hotel is quite nice and you can also use the facilities at the Wyndam which is next door.

There are a few restaurants close by and the Johnny Canoe restaurant in the hotel is fun for dinner. They even do Junkanoos there some nights of the week, so check and go it's fun.

Paradise Island also has one of the top beaches in the region and you can use the beach but the amenities at the Atlantis there are for guests only. Another option would be to stay at the Comfort Suites next to Atlantis and staying there you CAN use all the facilities at the Atlantis which your sons will LOVE.

There is a lovely formal garden to tour "Queens Garden) and a well done zoo "Ardastra Zoo and Gardens" both just off Bay St.

The nice thing about Nassau is the Jitney system, which are minivan (buses) that run all over the island for $1 per ride. The stop at sundown and it's cabs after that.

There are snorkle trips you can take off island or a day trip over to Harbour Island to see one of the best beaches in the world.

If you need any other info,,,,just ask and we'll all be glad to help.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, travelbuff, for your recommendations. I think I tried the Nassau Beach Hotel, but they didn't have a room for the time we will be there...but I'll check again. We definitely want the timeshare...but its a crapshoot whether or not we will end up with it. I appreciate your post!!
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 07:38 AM

March is Spring Break for colleges, and the low priced hotels will be crawling with partying kids.

Orange Hill or the Hilton may be your best bet.
Stay away from Quality Inn, Nassau Palms, Towne Hotel or Grand Central. They will be non-stop party central.

As for Nassau.. .it can be a wonderful experience, but it is expensive.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 02:34 PM

I would say that Nassau (or any place for that matter) is what you make it out to be. We enjoyed our short trip there, but we stayed away from the crowded places.

We didn't find the prices out of line compared to other islands, but we did not stay at Atlantis. =)

I would agree that Orange Hill would be a good option.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 03:10 PM

YES, sorry I should have mentioned Orange Hill. I have stayed there several times, and it feels like a resort on one of the outislands. You will love it, your Sons might be less than impressed.

Orange Hill is on a quiet stretch of road and there is a beach right across the street.

Judy and Danny, the owners really go out of their way to make you feel welcome.

There are several rooms that might accomodate you, or you might get 2 rooms.

There is a lovely pool area and most of the rooms face the pool. Each room has either a balcony or patio.

You can get a refrig for your room and they do a daily trip to the supermarket, so you can have breakfast/lunch/snack items in the room.

Orange Hill also has a restaurant, which is usually buffet and quite good and some evenings Judy does a BBQ.

Hope this helps and if you do make your reservation at Orange Hill (tell them HI from Gail in NY).
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the Orange Hill recommendation! I have booked our room there, which will accommodate all four of us for a great price! Yeah, our sons may not be impressed with the quiet nature of the place, but we anticipate they will venture into the downtown fray as well...dragging us along with them at least one night.
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 05:52 PM

Who did you speak to when you made your reservations? Just wondered. They have a very nice staff there, and the place really has an outisland feel. When you arrive catch a cab, Orange Hill is the closest hotel to the airport so it's a quick ride, and when you get there, a welcoming drink is waiting, a rumish punch or ask for a Smash. Also the legal drinking age in the Bahamas is 18 so your sons can also enjoy a bit.

Ask Judy the times for the Jitney to downtown, they come on a regular basis, and the last ones back go off duty at I think 6 or 7pm. The jitney is $1pp each way.

Have a great time.
Old Aug 25th, 2007, 05:57 PM

If you haven't seen the website yet the address is www.orangehill.com
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

travelbuff, you have been very helpful, and I thank you! Will be looking forward to that yummy drink waiting for us upon our arrival at Orange Hill. I did not make the reservations by phone but did access their website and did it that way. I did get a confirmation email from Brendan, who also responded when I emailed him a question. Very friendly and helpful, which is nice to know. The jitney will come in very handy for us, I think...and will keep taxi fees down to a minimum except for night time traveling.

Thanks again!