Search

My St. John report - Early May 2006

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My St. John report - Early May 2006

Hi all,

It's taken me a week of major culture shock to finally get to posting my travel journals and photos from our recent trip to St. John. I'll post an excerpt below about our dining for the foodies, but you can find all the journals (and loads of photos) on my travel site:

http://www.stricklandia.com

Among other things, we went diving on the Rhone, explored St. John by car, and went on the New Horizons II day trip through the BVIs, so you'll find lots of words and pictures about those activities.

Hope you enjoy! Special thanks to all you Fodorites who gave me ideas before we left (especially about the New Horizons trip, which we loved!). Here's the excerpt for the foodies:

EATING LIKE ROYALTY

When it comes to traveling, I'm not a "foodie" -- the kind of traveler whose trips revolve around cuisine. I'm more about experiencing the place I'm visiting, and typically consider meals as the breaks between sightseeing. I do, however, appreciate a fantastic meal when I get one, and we had plenty on this trip to St. John.

On our first night, we ate at La Tapa. This fun little place is located curbside along the main road into Cruz Bay. And I do mean "curbside" -- someone sitting at one of the patio tables can reach out and touch passing cars. The town's rowdiest bar, Woody's, sits right next door as well, so this restaurant isn't the place for a quiet meal. But the eclectic decor and Spanish menu were quite inviting, and we weren't disappointed. After a day in the sun, we both settled on gazpacho for starters. And after a day of diving, it took a shared platter of paella to satiate our hunger.

Stone Terrace had some of the best recommendations when I researched a place for CJ's birthday dinner before the trip. A covered stone portico offered tables overlooking the harbor. Very romantic -- though romance wasn’t exactly hard to find on a tropical island. For dinner, I started with....

More: http://www.stricklandia.com
Old May 16th, 2006, 08:54 PM

LOVED your pics (especially of the Baths). Can't wait to go!!! Thanks for positng your trip report.
Old May 17th, 2006, 03:57 AM

Love the pics! Thanks for posting.
Old May 17th, 2006, 07:52 AM

We went to the Westin in April and the NHII trip and loved it! We also ate and visited many of the same places as you but your pictures are much better. I will send my friends to your site when they ask about the trip. I also look forward to reading some of your other trip reports.
Old May 17th, 2006, 09:26 AM

All I can say is: WOW. Love your writing, love your pictures. Loved your comments re: Coral Bay and Shipwreck Landing. You nailed them both. Hope folks check out your site as it is very informative and very entertaining. Thanks so much for posting.
Old May 17th, 2006, 04:11 PM

I really enjoyed your pictures and report also! We also had John and Peggy on our NH II trip the end of March. We thought they were great! That really was a memorable day.