Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Multi-Generational family vacation....help please.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

....Hawaii [1-3 islands]? Mexico? Caribbean Island [1-2] or Cruise?

We're planning a big family vacation in a couple years with my parents who will be close to 70, my MIL same age, brother and SIL, niece and her family and our family. 4 Kids; 3-14.

I was thinking Hawaii because many options and activities and it's one of those places people seem to have on their list. My MIL and hubby went when he was young on a cruise but he doesn't remember.

My MIL has no desire to go to Mexico, but as we're paying, maybe we can convince her. We love Playa del Carmen area as it's a good central location for lots of adventuring, beaching, great food, etc. You can hit Tulum, see ruins at Chichen Itza or Coba, do zip lining, snorkeling, hit an island, swim with whale sharks, etc., take a cooking class, just chill.... I just don' tknow if she would be comfortable as she has a perception about the area, unless we do AI. But I'm not a big AI fan because I feel you miss out on so much or you spend so much extra if you still venture out....

A cruise might be easiest but I'm not an AI person and it's a floating AI and looking into it; some of the ports you have to be back at the ship so early, do you really see anything?

What about 1-2 Caribbean Islands? We could do like Hawii without the long flights....

my parents loved Grenada on a southern caribbean cruise. I've never been there...

I'd love ideas...

thinking 10-14 days if do Hawaii. Leaning towards Kaui and Big Island and possibly 1-2 days to Oahu. We had friends who did a Hawaiin cruise and were 'eh' about the cruise and Hawaii in general....'long' flight....so many other places closer, etc.

If cruise 7-10 days. If we do Caribbean, can do 7 days. Then whoever can't take off can go back home and others can stay if want to, etc....leaning towards a Celebrity cruise or even maybe Disney.

Probaby go the first 1-2 weeks of June as kids in school and brother is a teacher if that matters.

Trish
Old Jul 25th, 2010, 05:52 PM

Since this will be a special occation, I would leave Hawaii for another time and go somewhere in the Caribbean. My favorite places are the ABC´s islands. I ussually go to Curacao because of its relaxing atmosphere and colorfull, unique buildings in Willemstad. I think this is something your parents will love!
Old Jul 25th, 2010, 05:56 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My family did a trip to Maui (10 people, a couple generations) for my parents 50th, based in Lahaina. It worked out great. I you do Hawaii, please don't try for 3 islands in 10 days (unless you choose a cruise) because that's too much moving around with a large group.

I think a cruise is a viable option because the logistics become so much easier for a large group of varying ages, as long as people are interested in the idea.

I am normally not an "all-inclusive" person but for a large multi-generational family group, I'd consider it. Because it's difficult to move a dozen+ people around on a daily basis.

Personally I adore Mexico but would never try to talk a relative into it, who was resistant (especially an older person with preconceived negative notions about the country, just asking for trouble for yourself, I think).
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 01:33 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the ideas.

I agree about the AI with a large group...might be easier...if we did Hawaii, we'd do 14 days.

And yes probably wouldn't be good to do Mexico.

Does Curacao have enough diverse activities? My fear with an island is there's not enough to do....for example, we had a great time in Grand Cayman many years ago and my brother took his then 12 year old and they were bored silly at nightfall...he still complains about it! LOL.
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

can anyone recommend an AI that they enjoyed that has enough for kids and teens to do? Also nightlife for adults if desired?

Thanks.
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 07:03 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Beaches, Turks & Caicos.

Just my opinion, but in 25 years of traveling the world, Hawaii was our biggest disappointment.
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 10:28 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
well there's no AI's in Hawaii (or i guess there is just one place on the Big Island) so if you do with the 14 days there, you're just looking at regular resort hotels, or a cruise (maybe a 7 days cruise and one island 7 days?)
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

TPAYT...good to know about Hawaii...that would be such a bummer especially because of the flight...from Indiana you basically lose 2 + days to traveling...food for thought for sure.

I loved T&C but there wasn't much to do besides the beach and water activities which some might not enjoy all the time.

But maybe beaches has entertainment? I remember not liking their beach area when walking...we loved the looks of Sands but it's non-AI and also loved Ocean Club West...

maybe it's more built up now but when we were there our friends complained there was no shopping or anything but the beach...they prefer to explore.

I could have snorkeled all day long...amazing!! I'd go back. But I'd have fun anywhere. I still can't believe brother's family didn't like GC. But then again, it was just hubby and me at the time and didn't have to entertain a 12 year old at night. LOL.

Yes there are no AIs in hawaii...but there's that crazy Hilton and then there's Kona Village which is AI but way too salty.

I was thinking either a few nights and then cruise or cruise then a few nights or 2 islands...non-AI but with several group dinners planned.

I don't have to do AI it just seems people like them for convenience.

Keep ideas coming.
Old Jul 26th, 2010, 07:56 PM

Consider Barbados, Puerto Rico or Aruba, if people need lots of activities. Or take 10 days, and split the time between 2 islands, like Puerto Rico, and a quieter island like Anguilla. See what larger island is easiest to get to from Indiana, and where you can jump to from there
Old Jul 27th, 2010, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

I'm thinking about Puerto Rico...any ideas where to stay? Day trips or more to Culebra or Vieques?

Trish
Old Jul 27th, 2010, 05:14 AM

oh trish i have to laugh - i love to plan things far ahead but you're really getting a jump on this trip!! are kids 3-14 now or will be that age at time of trip?

provo is my favorite island, but agree no where near enough to do if ppl don't want to just snorkel and hang on the beach!
and if you don't like ai's you'll be miserable at Beaches.

there are lots of cruises that depart from san juan. so the big group could cruise (kids entertained) then those who wish can stay on island to explore for the second week or very easily fly to any other island.

if you would consider jamaica there is fdr pebbles with tons for kids to do. they do devoted nannies - giving adults all the time they wish to do big people activities.

for those seeking activities, i think playa is an excellent idea & disagree with suze. what bugs your mil about the area -safety? language barrier??? these are issues that can be addressed so easily. and there are plenty of very good resorts both ai and not in the area.

if you do cruise look hard at disney. i watched a travel channel show on their ships and was surprised at how "undisneyland like" they were. ship decor was very nice and they seemed to offer plenty adult oriented activities in addition to all the kid stuff.

hope any of this helps...
Old Jul 27th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks V..yes it is early but I'm trying to figure it out so we can start saving now. We're paying for my folks and MIL and my family. Kids will be 3-14 at the time.

We all love WDW so a Disney cruise is on the list. I thought about a land and sea package but my brother and his family and my parents have been too many times to WDW make it feel 'special'. We've gone 3 times. Love it.

great ideas. Thanks.