Most memorable Caribbean ?

Jul 26th, 2006, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Most memorable Caribbean ?

O.k. all of you Caribbean travel bugs, which Caribbean country sticks out in your mind as the most memorable?

"Memorable" being a good memory btw

No (bad) memories allowed.

...And BTW, Caribbean includes Bermuda, Belize and Guayana.

Jul 26th, 2006, 10:07 AM

My most memorable trip was our trip to Anguilla in '98. Been to several caribbean destinations after that but Anguilla remains our favorite.
Jul 26th, 2006, 10:20 AM

Gosh, we've had so many, but if I had to pick one, I guess it would be Montego Bay, Jamaica in 1993. Not only was it an all expense paid trip that I won and we desperately needed at that time, but we decided at that point that we really, really wanted to live in the Caribbean full time after having applied for a job a year and a half prior.

I'll be darned if we weren't doing just that about three months later after having waited nearly two years for our work permits to be approved to move to our little island in the Dutch West Indies. And, we've been here ever since.
Jul 26th, 2006, 10:34 AM

Like Statia we've had many memorable trips to the Caribbean. If we had to choose just one it would be Virgin Gorda in the summer of 1998 when we renewed our wedding vows on the beach at sunset on Mahoe Bay in the presense of our sons, a DIL and future DIL (they got engaged the day they arrived). One of our best family trips ever!
Jul 26th, 2006, 11:05 AM

Most of my "memorable" trips are connected to natural disasters -- except that the disasters, while definitely impacting our trip, served as a contrast to all that was so wonderful about the rest of the trip.

The most memorable was September (yeah, I know...) of 1998, when we were in the BVI for Hurricane Georges. Not surprisingly, our crew missed our first few days of sailing, but the Moorings took excellent care of us (though having 5 of us in a single hotel room was an adventure). Because it was a glancing blow to the BVI, the charter operation was up-and-running in short order, and being on a boat puts you in a self-contained environment where you have your own electricity. The power wasn't restored to the islands for several days, but we were good to go. Once we left the docks, we were welcomed everywhere we went, and everyone had "hurricane specials" for us, from free moorings and ice, to special dinners and drinks. Most of the attractions of the islands were reserved specially for us, since few other visitors were around. Of course, our crew bonded in a way normal circumstances never would have fostered. But, I have not traveled in September since!

I've been stranded down-island before and since due to blizzards, volcanic eruptions and airline snafus, and each of those trips stands out in my memory, but nothing was quite like the infamous Rendezvous with Georges.
Jul 26th, 2006, 11:37 AM
iw

Good topic! What a decision.....I'd have to say St. Kitts and Nevis for the friendly people and the stark contrast between the 2 islands! I guess the last trip there will be really "memorable" since our film was all ruined....note....Not a Wahhh!, but a comment on the fact that the trip will be in our memories forever!!
Jul 26th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

iw
oh no!
Look on it this way : now you really have an excuse to go back to St. Kitts and Nevis!
I mean what's a memorable vacation without the pictures to prove it, right?
Jul 26th, 2006, 12:15 PM
iw

JAGIRL, I tried that reasoning with DH and he looked at me as if I had lost my mind!
Actually, this was our 2nd trip to both islands, so we do have last year's pictures. This time he did hike Mt. Nevis, so that is a sad loss of film.
We now have a digital!

ps////wish i had your cool little people to make my point on my posts!
Jul 26th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

iw:

<)
http://www.fodors.com/forums/smileys/
knock yourself out kid! \/
Jul 26th, 2006, 01:12 PM

Well since we've only actually been to two caribbean destinations (all others were)Hawaii and Mexico > ) I would have say the most memorable of the two was T&C! We just loved that island and the experiences were magical. I still look at the pictures almost every day
Jul 26th, 2006, 03:52 PM

great Q jagirl

like vegasm and living on the west coast, i've only managed to visit T&C so far

but grace bay beach - what an incredible memory of the caribbean 8-)

hope to soon have many more caribbean memories
Jul 26th, 2006, 04:17 PM

Our honeymmon to Jost Van Dyke and Guana island in the BVIs in 1988. We were the only two visitors on White Bay in Jost for 5 days and then went on to Guana to share the island with one or two other guests.
Jul 26th, 2006, 04:58 PM

Well my most memorable still would have to be my last trip to Cuba. I spent a week in Havana with Cuban friends, then a further week in the Spanish Colonial town of Trinidad, a UNESCO World Heritage Site on Cuba's southern coast.

Here's my pics of Trinidad, Cuba.

http://photobucket.com/albums/y55/St...rue&interval=6

Steve
Jul 26th, 2006, 05:18 PM

So far my most memorable out of Kaua'i,Aruba,St John (2 times!) and Grand Cayman...the most memorable was Grand Cayman because we did not have any of this

Stingray City was an experience that we will never forget!Also Rum Point was very nice and relaxing.The kids enjoyed both places!

Although our 2nd trip to St John was also great! (maybe because we got to relax without the kids!) 8)
Jul 26th, 2006, 10:22 PM
iw

Ok, JAGIRL....if this does not work out, I am never posting again!!! . Let's see how I did ?????
Jul 26th, 2006, 10:29 PM
iw

4 me!
Jul 27th, 2006, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

=D> for iw! =D>

Haiti has my vote for most memorable. There were some & moments, but overall there were a lot more memories. It was one of the best trips I have ever gone on.
Jul 27th, 2006, 06:39 AM

Montserrat (so far)...Grenada is high on my hit list though. From everything I have read & hear, it seems to be right up our alley.
Jul 27th, 2006, 06:53 AM

Definitely St. Kitts! I've been going there since the 70's and have lots of fond memories.

Jul 27th, 2006, 07:50 AM

Jamaica!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO