Search

Most dissapointed

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 1999, 05:18 AM
Sue

Most dissapointed

Wich island dissapointed you the most? in the forum we have people that travel and know so much about these islands!.

Old Jul 3rd, 1999, 06:45 AM
Hilary

Jamaica! I can't honestly say I have any desire to go back. It bothered me that the only place we were "safe" was on the resort property

Old Jul 3rd, 1999, 08:17 AM
Lisa Marie

<BR>Magen's bay at St Thomas.. The water was cold in early April. Also the cab driver warned us to take everything in the water with us.. I asked how? He said put things in a plastic zip lock bag and wear it under your swimsuit. Being the only tourists around, my husband and I couldn't enjoy a moment after that. I wa s also disappointed with the looks of the place. Naming it one of the top 10 beaches in the world -I just did not see it! The cab driver also "promised" we could call for a cab when ready to leave but no phones. A cab did drive by on its own.

Old Jul 3rd, 1999, 11:31 AM
April

1. Trinidad <BR>2. Jamaica <BR>

Old Jul 3rd, 1999, 01:57 PM
jj

1. Cuba-everything disappointing except dolphin swim and beautiful beach. <BR>2. Jamaica-crime threat and extreme selling harrassment.

Old Jul 3rd, 1999, 04:37 PM
Liza

The worst island I have been is in Jamaica, Dominican Republic,so much poverty and the dirty looks they have on their face when they look. <BR>And very insecure.

Old Jul 4th, 1999, 04:43 AM
John

St Thomas, Jamaica unless you are at an all-inclusive. You will be harassed by the natives and there is a lot of poverty. Puerto Rico is similar but larger, the old city is safe.

Old Jul 5th, 1999, 11:01 AM
Cheri

Margarita

Old Jul 6th, 1999, 05:49 AM
michigan traveler

Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic. The service was absolutely lousy as was the hospitality. The staff at our resort-Gran Ventana Beach Resort could be down right hostile at times. Also, the beach was largely unswimable because most of it was reef. Finally, the water at this supposed 5 star resort was not safe for drinking! The hotel supplied 2 small bottles of purified water. Guests then had to refill their empty bottles at a jug by the pool. The D.R. is very inexpensive and in this case it is true-you get exactly what you pay for.

Old Jul 6th, 1999, 05:10 PM
lynne

Wow! I'm surpised people don't like the Dominican Republic. I've been twice and loved it! <BR>I stayed at The Jack Tar Village just up from Gran Ventana. The hotel although older was faboulous. The staff was the best!! Very friendly and helpful. We had bottled water in the common area of every hacienda. The beach in our area was sandy and fine? I do agree that you get what you pay for though. The food was also excellent. In my opinion you get a lot of bang for your buck there! <BR>

Old Jul 6th, 1999, 05:57 PM
Jackie

Puerto Rico. While the roads are in good condition the lack of street signs is maddening. The beaches were most disappointing, I would put them in the "nothing special" category. The most disturbing and disgusting thing about Puerto Rico was the sick and dying stray animals EVERYWHERE. From the beaches to the city, it seems that they approach you enverywhere you turn. As an animal lover I tell everyone I know DON'T GO TO PUERTO RICO

Old Jul 7th, 1999, 08:26 PM
Anna

# 1 is a toss up - Jamaica for that insecure feeling & Curacao for the awful oil refineries

Old Jul 8th, 1999, 01:31 PM
tina

Another resounding response to Jamaica. We were there about 8 years ago and stayed at a Sandals and had a nice experience, however, a year ago we went to Ocho Rios and had a not so nice time. Money stolen out of my husband's shirt pocket that was on his chair, rude employees at the resort and just an all around insecure feeling. I think Jamaica has started to take tourism for granted and is starting to resent the people who have helped them come out of their poverty.

Old Jul 12th, 1999, 01:50 PM
Dayna

1. Jack Tar Village in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic. What a pit. Dirty and weathered looking. <BR> <BR>2. The Bahamas. All the islands are way overrated. Felt like I was down at the Jersey shore.

Old Jul 15th, 1999, 10:44 AM
Lill

Cuba sucked...If I hear one more person talk about how much they love Cuba and go back every year, I swear I'll puke. Obviously, they haven't been to the nicer islands. There's nothing to do, buy or eat in Cuba. Hospitality is also lacking. The only plus is beautiful beaches.

Old Jul 16th, 1999, 05:39 PM
lynne

<BR>Dayna: <BR> <BR>I tried to email you directly but your email address didn't work??? <BR> <BR>Would love to know when you went to Jack Tar Village Puerto Plata and what exactly you didn't like as I am hoping to return this Winter. <BR>I was there 2 years ago and thought it was very good. I think it depends on what is important to you in a vacation - personally as long as a place is clean I don't care if it isn't brand new - but this does seem to be important to some people. The food was excellent and the staff 2nd to none! The beach was good, pools were nice, activities and entertainment good. <BR>I understand that Allegro is in the process of renovating Jack Tar Village as they bought them out the 2nd week I was there. <BR>Would appreciate if you could reply with details since I wasn't able to email you directly?

Old Jul 21st, 1999, 05:56 PM
Karen

My two unfavorite islands: <BR>1. Aruba ... if I wanted to be in time-share heaven and think I was in a Miami Beach hi rise with everyone speaking with a Boston accent ... well, that's the spot! Lovely island but too too commerical, Americanized and WINDY!!! Those Divi divi trees are bent over for good reason! Impossible to sit on beach some days without being sand blasted! <BR>2. Tortola ... I know why it is the sailing capital. Those sailors are going to all the wonderful beaches that cannot be found on Tortola! Definately a Jeep-About island ... pined for St. John, Virgin Gorda, anywhere but there!

Old Jul 23rd, 1999, 01:57 PM
george

Jamaica. The second you get off of the plane there are natives trying to rip you off. If they are not trying to sell you something, they are trying to steal. Then if you ignore them, they mouth off. Maybe they are tired of tourism and want to go back to the old days.

Old Sep 27th, 1999, 04:29 PM
Sharon Paras

Jamaica, Jamaica, Jamaica! Our first holiday many many years ago, and before we even got out of the airport, or onto the bus to the resort, were hit for 'tips' by at least 3 different natives. It continued all week. Have not forgot, would go back only for revenge. The island is probably beautiful if you can ever leave your resort.

Old Sep 28th, 1999, 06:29 AM
kim

Hands down, Jamaica. I've only been to Montego Bay but the experience left me with no desire to visit the island again. Hell, even the men who worked at the hotel were hitting on us AND hitting us up for money so were weren't even "safe" there. Worst part about it is I didn't have a decent meal the entire time I was there. I live in Miami and I routinely eat better Jamaican food here than I did the entire time I was in Montego Bay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -