Reload this Page >

Most "americanized" island

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 03:24 PM
Tracey

This is probably a question that will have people thinking well why bother going to an island but I want to know which is the most american like island. I really like my shower and those ammenities. Thanks for any input.

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 04:16 PM
anonymous

Certainly when thinking of Americanized islands, the last thing I would think that would qualify it as Americanized is the showers! Haven't found an island or resort yet that didn't have wonderful showers, some more luxurious than others and some even outdoors, whether the island was Americanized or not!

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 04:34 PM
Julie

What exactly do you mean by "Americanized?" I agree with the above poster. You will find modern bathroom facilities at any resort on any Caribbean island. Even if some of the island residents live in third world poverty, the tourists do not. When people talk about "Americanized" islands they usually mean islands where true Caribbean culture has taken a back seat to the demands of western tourists. St. Thomas is pretty Americanized, but that's not surprising since it's part of the U.S. Virgin Islands. If you're looking to eat McDonalds instead of jerk chicken, you might look there first.

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 05:32 PM
Tracey

Well what I meant was sometimes the water doesn't work or things are just not up to what I consider US standards. No I don't mean McDonalds though.

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 05:00 AM
Karen

Poor Julie, she has never found the great restaurants and local cuisine including jerk chicken on St. Thomas. I think you are more likely to find rotis and pates rather than that tho. Altho it is part of the USVI it doesn't hold a candle to Aruba, Cancun and the other destinations for lack of "Caribbean culture" and experience and has some excellent resorts other than American chain hotels. Most of the traditional luxury hotels in most parts of the Caribb not only equal but exceed American "creature comforts." Of course, you might have some minor inconveniences the more "isolated" you get but I would try to figure out some of the other things that you are looking for eg. trips, beaches, exploring, snorkling, diving, shopping, good food, etc and then combine it with a resort at that destination that seems to best fit your needs. The only time we had signifigant inconveniece was in Aruba where if the hotel's sprink;er system was watering the oasis, the showers had no water pressure! So, you had to schedule around the sprinkling! I won't tell what it did to the bathrooms!! LOL But, even that, I can NOW laugh at and am sure that with all the major developement there and hotels shoulder to shoulder, they've "fixed" that! If you want the Miami Beach (not South Beach) atmosphere and familiar things like American hotels, American chain food spots for dining, head to Aruba tho!

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 04:39 PM
David

Which island is more Americanized, St. Thomas or Aruba?

Old Feb 25th, 2002, 03:04 AM
Jackie

St. Thomas maybe because it is part of the USVI.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 07:40 AM
SBHlover

Try Fire Island or Hilton Head Island

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 09:09 AM
chazz

Our last two trips were to Aruba and St. Thomas. Although St. Thomas is a US territory, Aruba felt more "Americanized."<BR><BR>However, I think it is misleading to compare Aruba to Miami Beach. Even in Aruba's so-called "high-rise" area, there are only about 10 hotels, and they aren't very high, and not very close together. The countryside is only a mile away. It's a much more pleasant environment than Miami Beach or Fort Lauderdale, in my opinion.<BR><BR>St. Thomas is prettier, but Aruba's a great place for Americans who want "all the comforts of home," and it's relatively safe.<BR><BR><BR><BR>