Montpelier Plantation Inn/Nevis

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for some familiar names out there who might have stayed here. I know many have dined and toured but I'd love to hear from those who stayed, even for a few days.

I have read and reread everything posted on TripAdvisor, but would still love some personal input from this forum.

I have two weeks scheduled at Nisbet 7/10 through 7/24, and my faulty, financial logic says "as long as you're there",why not stay in the mountains for a few days.

I understand that it will most likely be couples. My main concern is with the ratings/success of this Inn that it might take itself too seriously. Please spare me from serious ;-)

I also gave consideration to Hermitage Plantation. Not the same sort of press, but maybe a more authentic Nevisian experience ?

Thanks !

Marion
Old May 30th, 2006, 12:59 PM
cw

Marion,

We stayed at the Hermitage for a week in March. We loved the inn and are planning to return next year. Our room had a view of the water in the distance, tall palm trees, and the other cottages.

The food was terrific, and the people who work there are lovely.

My full report can be found at http://tinyurl.com/os8k8, which is on the myeyez.net St. Kitts/Nevis forum.

It's not as grand and breathtaking as Montpelier but I found that it suited us perfectly.

It's in a good position for some nice walks uphill amidst some of the neighboring villas.

I'd be happy to answer any questions.

CW
Old May 30th, 2006, 01:22 PM

Marion, I've not stayed there, but I visited twice while I was on Nevis--once by day to take a look around and once by evening for a fine dining experience. The first time we walked up to the reception, it was after a hot, sticky morning followed by rainfall, and my husband and I were both a mess to look at. Despite our state of shabbiness, we were greeted with warmth and hospitality, given a brief history of the inn, a description of the two meals that evening--one in the Sugar Mill and the other in the main dining room--and a quick tour of the grounds and swimming pool. They couldn't have been more charming. When we showed up that evening for dinner, well-pressed and finely dressed, and even after the hostess recognized my husband's name (he's an artist and she has a bit of his work) there was not one whit of difference in the way we were treated between our a.m. and p.m. visits.

Gracious? Yes, definitely. Serious? Not in my opinion. If I may extrapolate based on my reading, I would think there would be an old world charm similar to your dear Jamaica Inn.

And before closing, let me congratulate you on your faulty logic in adding on a few days in the mountains whilst in Nevis. A capital idea!
Old May 30th, 2006, 03:45 PM
cw

Marion,

Just wanted to add to my earlier post that we had been going almost annually to St. Kitts, staying at Rawlins Plantation until it changed ownership.

For a few reasons we decided to move on to Nevis and the Hermitage was highly recommended by some of our fellow guests who had taken a scouting trip over to Nevis to look at the plantation inns.

I think your decision to do the beach and lush mountain experience will provide good variety and give you a sense of the western/southern part of the island. It's a great decision to have to make. You can't go wrong! And if you do go to Montpelier, be sure to go over to the Hermitage for a rum punch and to see what has been called the oldest wooden frame house in the Caribbean.

CW
Old May 30th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

CW,

Thanks so much for your thoughtful comments and for the link to your WONDERFUL trip report. I always smile when someone says "long". I find a time appropriate libation and settle in for a good read

My time in Treasure Beach in Jamaica has helped me to realize that history and a less touristed connection is very important to me.

I understand that Nisbet Plantation is touristy...but this is my first trip to Nevis. Progress is made day by day. After two weeks, I may just be ready to greet those monkeys on the hillside.

Thanks again for your advice.

Marion

Old May 30th, 2006, 05:30 PM

We stayed at Montpelier for a week last fall and loved it. It is a very friendly property -- all staff will know your name within an hour of arrival and the bartender will know what you like to drink, or eat for lunch. The women that serve breakfast will remember what you said you were doing the prior day and will ask if you enjoyed it. The owners are always around the property, as is their dog and small child and everyone gets to know the whole family. What I am trying to convey is this is not a pretentious property at all. It is very quiet, great food, guests tend to get to know one another, but you could keep to yourself if you preferred. Rooms are relatively basic, but nicely done. Beach is not much to speak of and requires a ten minute van trip. Pool is very nice. We went to Hermitage one day for dinner and we felt the facility was not as nice as Montpelier and the food and dining room not as nice -- but we only saw it at night -- they too were very friendly, which seemed to be how everyone on Nevis was. Hope this helps
Old May 30th, 2006, 06:08 PM
cw

Marion,

So glad you enjoyed the report.

We enjoyed our days at the beach at Nisbet, and our lunch at the beach bar. It was very relaxing and friendly. It is a beautiful spot. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. One of the days a herd of cows walked right across the great lawn at Nisbet, cutting across in front of the cottages. It was the perfect Caribbean moment, where no amount of grooming or luxury could take away the truly Caribbean feeling.

CW
Old May 30th, 2006, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

Cows, goats, donkeys, roosters and geckos (is that spelled properly or am I having a Dan Quayle moment )...you've got to love them all. They are the true 'belongers' ;-)

OK...I'm working on the monkeys.

And any place with a resident canine...no matter the breed....will usually win my heart.

Marion
Old May 31st, 2006, 06:59 AM

Marion,

My wife and I did exactly what you're thinking of...one week at Montpelier and one week at Nisbet.

Montpelier was simply awesome. And they definitely did not take themselves too seriously. It's quieter than Nisbet, but very friendly. Heck, the entire island is friendly.

The food was great at Montpelier as well as at Nisbet.

As for an authentic Nevisian experience, get out of the inns and go to the local restaurants...Gallipot, Double Deuce, Le Bistro, etc. Friday nights there is an awesome roadside barbeque at the Water Department.

And if there is horse racing, it is quite an experience!

Say hello to Kaddy for us!

Dave
Old May 31st, 2006, 12:28 PM

Marion: I also stayed at Montpelier last year for 5 days. The staff are top-notch. But they are very friendly and down to earth. No pretentiousness or stuffiness. The hosts are lovely -- a friendly family from the U.S. who add a great personal touch to the place. It really does live up to its reputation. One thing I will say: the rooms won't blow you away. They are clean and pretty but don't expect glitz. If you have any other questions or concerns, don't hesitate to ask.
Old May 31st, 2006, 12:44 PM

Simply put, Montpelier is a great place with a terrific staff. Staying there is akin to being the guest of honor at a Plantation back into the days when sugar was King on the island that is the Queen of the Caribbean. Everything the previous posters have written is very accurate. You won't regret staying there.

By the way, Hermitage is nice but is certainly not in the same league as Montpelier.
Old May 31st, 2006, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who took the time to respond. I appreciate it very much.

I decided on Montpelier. EJ's comparison to Jamaica Inn made it a "you had from hello" moment ;-)

Now if they would just cooperate and let me book the Summer Special, rather than charging a solo the rack rate. GROWL...and not a friendly beginning ;-(

Marion

Old May 31st, 2006, 07:17 PM
cw

Marion,

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time in Nevis. I look forward to reading your trip report (with libation in hand!)

CW
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 05:24 AM

Grrrr is right. Have they said why they won't let you book it?

I hope that by today you have received a more cooperative response from them.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

It must be my karma, or lack thereof.

My love of logic makes sense only to me.

All of the packages are for two....two breakfasts, tea for two. I'm not asking for those meals, I'm just asking for the rate. Sounds logical to me

I'm communicating via email. If I pick up the phone, the GROWL will come through ;-)

Marion
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 06:12 AM

Marion, I will anxiously await your trip report. Two weeks at Nisbet you are so lucky! We were on the Seabourn Legend in April and stopped at Nevis for the day. I visited Nisbet and loved it so hope to return for a week next winter. Even though we were only there a day, we could tell Nevis was special so can't wait to return. It was the week before Easter and Nisbet was very quiet, just a perfect atmosphere and so charming. Have a great time!
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 06:13 AM

Ahh, the hospitality industry rears its ulgs head again at single travelers!

Marion, just write them back, tell them either that you've a healthy appetite and fully intend to eat two meals at every sitting, or that you've found a traveling companion (who will conveniently be left at home when you leave, but they won't know that until your arrival, by which point you've already booked the package you want).

Some things just don't make a lot of sense, do they?

It reminds me of a time when a vegetarian friend went to Wendy's or some such fast food joint with me. She wanted to order a cheeseburger, hold the meat, but get all of the veggies and cheese. She was willing to pay the regular price for the burger, but they couldn't figure out how to ring it up. It truly befuddled them and eventually she had to talk with the manager.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Yes....reminds of the famous Jack Nicholson scene in "Five Easy Pieces", or Sally in "When Harry Met Sally"...not THAT scene....she just had certain requests whenever she ordered

One of the reasons I chose Nisbet, is that they do discount for single travelers. An example of smart marketiing. JI also discounts for singles.

Marion

Old Jun 1st, 2006, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

What comes after GROWL ?

Three very polite emails as follow-up and no response from the folks at Montpelier.

Business, even in the off season, must be very, very good.

Marion
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 06:20 PM
cw

Marion,

Grrrrr comes after growl!

My impression is that business is not terrific except for a few particular weeks in season. This impression is for all the places we saw in March.

Our fellow guests at Rawlins had an experience directly opposite from that of ejcirow. That is one
reason why they recommended the Hermitage. This was one plus year ago. (And they had stayed Montpelier some years before under the previous owners.)

Good luck with your plans. I hope things work out. Except for a couple of hotels in transition, I don't think there is a bad plae to stay in Nevis.

CW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -