Montego Bay Shopping

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 01:48 PM
Anita J

Montego Bay Shopping

Coming off a cruise ship in January & would like to buy Blue Mountain Coffee without sacrifeing my first born. Also understand Cubans are cheap there. Does anyone know of any stores & addresses where we can get these items? Is Doctor's Cave Beach close to the ship pier?

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 02:27 PM
liza

You can walk or take a cab to Doctor's Cave Beach. Once there, there are many shops right across from the entrance to the beach that sell cigars and coffee (also t-shirts, carvings, etc etc).

If taking a cab, get one with red plates ad settle the price before you get in and have exact change, or make sure your driver does.

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 04:57 PM
Cathy

I have always been in the Ocho Rios or Port Antonio area, but in terms of Blue Mountain coffee, I have found that if you go to a Jamaican supermarket, you will have the best prices there. Look for the the Jablum label. I will be going to Montego Bay for the first time when sailing on the Conquest this summer, so let me know what you find.

As far as Cuban cigars, what other ports of call are you going to? Check with your cruise director or shopping director and they can tell you which port has the best prices. If you are going to Cozumel, they may be cheaper there, not sure. But smoke 'em while you have 'em on ship. Bringing Cubab cigars into the US is illigal and if you are caught with them, you will pay a hefty fine. Darn the embargo!

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 06:44 PM
tivertonhouse

Go to any supermarket/grocery store for coffee beans reasonably priced. The Westgate Shopping Center's your best bet.For Cubans, there's just one reputable place for fresh cigars:Rainbow Gift shop,Ironshore/about 10 min.cab ride from MoBay/15 from the port. You can not walk to Doctor's Cave from the docking pier (and the shops on Gloucester Ave are pretty tacky). Go to the Gallery of West Indian art (see online as well) instead. Carolyn Barrett, a good guide for cruiseshippers might also be the best bet for seeing more, paying less. Reach her at [email protected].

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 06:54 PM
tivertonhouse

P.S.If you can find, Old Taverne Estate Premium Aged Coffee Beans will spoil you forever--leagues above the burlap-sack packed Jablum or other Blue Mt.labeled beans.