Mid sized Caribbean resort for family

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2017, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a family of 4 planning on traveling the first week of March. We are looking for a mid-sized resort with a pool that is less than $600 a night. Walkability to local restaurants would be great. My kids are 8 and 10 and like to do excursions and adventures, and small kids club is a bonus. Plenty of beach time and pool time is a must. We have never done an all inclusive, mostly because of the size and amount of people at all inclusive resorts. Maybe there is one out there that is smaller in size.

We have done a Disney Cruise, which was nice but we are not really a cruise family and disliked the way they do dinner, I.e. either at 5 or at 8. We have been to Nassau and stayed in Sandyport, which was nice because there were lots of local restaurants within walking distance. We were also outside the busyness of Nassau but could easily hop on the bus to get around. We also stayed at the Westin in Punta Cana and liked the size, and apprecisted their shuttle to take us in to shops and restaurants and too the National Park. They also had a small kids club and my kids were typically the only ones there.

We would love some recommendations. I thought Turks and Caicos would be an option, but it all seems outside our price range. My husband would like to stay away from Mexico. We are on the east coast and likely flying from the DC area. Thank you in advance!
Old Dec 30th, 2017, 01:14 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would use a general website like Cheap Caribbean dot com and put in your dates and see what all pops up in your price range.

Too bad Mexico has been eliminated because Mayan Riviera would tick all of your boxes and at less than the stated nightly price range.
Old Dec 31st, 2017, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

@ Suze Thank you for the recommendation of Cheap Caribbean. There are some posssibilities on there, specifically Coco Beach in Belize. We may be opening up the possibility of Mexico. Do you have any recommendations there? I’m going to post in that forum as well. Thanks!
Old Jan 10th, 2018, 07:50 AM

I would check out THE WESTIN in Cancun. They have one and two bedroom units that are sometimes offered for not much $$. There's an ENORMOUS (!) pool on the premises and the beach in front of the hotel is one of the widest and least crowded in Cancun.

The front desk will make arrangements for day trips to Playa Carmen, Tulum, Cozumel and IXCaret ( I'm probably spelling it wrong), so there's plenty to keep you busy.

I know the hotel a little bit from staying next door at LIVE AQUA, an adult all-inclusive. Anyway, I've found that The Westin is often a very good deal.

Good luck!
Old Jan 12th, 2018, 11:35 AM
Gin

Have you looked at Villa Del Mar in Turks and Caicos? This might fall within your price range for a one bedroom+den. Your kids would have their own separate sleeping area even though it's not a true two bedroom (No closet). It's close walking distance to quite a few restaurants, shopping and even the grocery store - handy considering you will have a full kitchen. It is not considered beach front but is a 2-3 minute walk through the resort across the street to their own beach setup. This includes lounge chairs, umbrellas, towels, water and great beach attendants. They have two small pools, a gas grill for guests, a bar and a continental breakfast is included in the rate. Good luck!
Old Jan 12th, 2018, 02:27 PM

Also check out ROYAL WEST INDIES, OCEAN CLUB EAST, and THE SANDS in Provo, Turks and Caicos. They offer a setup similar to VILLA DEL MAR. Not sure if they will be in you price range, but worth a look! Though keep in mind if visiting Turks, that food can be pretty expensive!
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 10:01 PM

The Sands in Provo is great and not a bad time to book. Since the hurricanes, travel deals have been abundant. I would mention about Disney cruises, they are very expensive and can most likely get a better deal on any other cruise line with tons of water slides and characters on the deck to entertain. Granted the characters may not be Disney characters, but if you'd like to get twice the length of travel then look at other cruise lines. Best to you - Darren Chaker
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 09:18 AM

My travel agent just told me that some airlines are offering really cheap airfares to T&C in February. Of course you have to find a hotel, but maybe some are still available?
Old Feb 26th, 2020, 10:24 PM

I wonder if you found the inexpensive resort you were looking for. We are a family of 6 (4 children). And now we're facing the same task. However, children really want Disney land, and we don't know if we can afford it.
Old Feb 28th, 2020, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Weadles
My travel agent just told me that some airlines are offering really cheap airfares to T&C in February. Of course you have to find a hotel, but maybe some are still available?
Please tell me, did you talk about all the air routes? If I buy tickets now for the summer, will it be cheaper?
So, we are looking at different holiday options, but we need to make a reservation now. And so we found a place right next to Disney World. The children will be delighted, of course. But my husband and I will have to spend all our savings. There are very luxurious rooms that are not cheap. So we still have doubts.. And we want to prioritize and decide what is more expensive for us, buying new devices after a vacation or giving children an unforgettable experience of travel and fascinating adventure.

Last edited by Moderator3; Feb 28th, 2020 at 04:48 AM. Reason: Remove link to specific resort in case this is an ad by new poster
Old Feb 29th, 2020, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Weadles
Also check out ROYAL WEST INDIES, OCEAN CLUB EAST, and THE SANDS in Provo, Turks and Caicos. They offer a setup similar to VILLA DEL MAR. Not sure if they will be in you price range, but worth a look! Though keep in mind if visiting Turks, that food can be pretty expensive!
That's true, but awesomely delicious!
I was wondering how do you like the Caribbean and Mexican resorts for kids? Is it safe? We have been to Turkey and Greece many times, but a bit hesitant about traveling further away...maybe I dig in google too much and find only horror stories about people and families being robbed and kidnapped