Search

Marriott in St. Thomas

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Marriott in St. Thomas

We were thinking of going to St. Thomas and staying at The Marriott. The majority of the reviews I have read are not favorable and I am wondering if anyone can comment. Musty, moldy rooms, pool not clean, staff unfriendly, poor quality food, etc. We are not wanting to spend 5 days in the Caribbean only to have bad accommodations. Any thoughts? We are also considering The Ritz.
Old May 31st, 2010, 04:18 AM

I stayed at Marriott Morningstar this past April in a lovely Gardenfront with balcony room. It was clean and lovely, surrounded by lush tropical plants. The staff was very friendly, always willing to say "hello" and most of the front desks staff greeted me by name.

Restaurants: Havanna Blue - Outstanding fine dining, large wine list and many delicious menu choices, Passionate Margarita was the best I ever had. Gorgeous decor with a beautiful seaside setting.

Windows - Great breakfast hot/cold buffet including an omlette station. Beautful cliffside harbor view.

Sunset Grill: For lunch, I enjoyed the Thai beef salad so much that I ordered it three times Outside dining with a spectacular cliffside view of the sea.

Coco Joe's - Beach side casual dining. I enjoyed the Prime Rib/Lobster buffet and the Ahi Tuna salad.

They have a new executive chef and I found the food to be greatly improved than on previous stays.

I have stayed at the Ritz but prefer Morningstar. While the Ritz rooms are lovely, it is much further and less convenmient to other activities and restaurant than is the Marriott.

Pools were sparkling clean and beautiful.

My stay was so enjoyable, that I have reservations there again in November.
Old May 31st, 2010, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

WOW! Thank you so much!!! I actually did read your positive review in the forum but it was just one of many bad reviews so I was concerned. I did read to be sure and book in the Main building--the one above ground (less mold and smell issues) So, would that be The Morningstar building vs. Frenchmen's Reef? It seemed like it would be the other way around. Thanks, again, for your time.
Old May 31st, 2010, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

One other questions--how was the beach there? I have been told that Sapphire Beach is the most beautiful and to stay there.
Old May 31st, 2010, 08:24 AM

Having Stayed at the Ritz and the Marriott I think the Ritz gets the nod but not for the difference in price. we took a day room once at the Sapphire and must admit the beach there isd nicer than the Marriott but the Sappaire is IMO 1.5 stars below the Marritt based upon a 2 night layover on the way to Tobago.
Old May 31st, 2010, 12:14 PM

I have stayed in both buildings, Frenchman's Reef, the main building and my room was a loft suite. The room was terrific, a spiral staircase led up to the bedroom loft complete with a jacuzzi tub for two and a separate shower. Downstairs was a living area and another bath. While the room was fantastic, I felt it too hotelly for my taste, laughter could be heard through the doors.

The rooms at Morningstar are in villa like buildings, second and third floors are more private. I prefer Morningstar. I have never experienced a mold or musty odor issue. and have stayed there about eight times Several years ago the hotel was not up to par with the scenic elevaor and waterfal not working and the tennis flooring torn up and not useable. Then the food was lackluster. Since there has seen vast improvement, under new management staff. Just recently, Marriott has upgraded this property from category six to seven Morningstar beach is lovely, but tend to get crowded as the day progresses. I cannot give you any info about saphire beach
Old May 31st, 2010, 01:09 PM

Choose The Ritz -- no contest!
Old May 31st, 2010, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

would anyone like to comment on the Secret Harbor Resort?