Lovely Barbados – Trip report; 3/2 – 3/7

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2013, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all, I just got back from a lovely 5 night stay on the south coast of Barbados and I figured you would enjoy a trip report. I have posted a full trip report with pictures on my blog (http://writeanothertravelingsong.blogspot.com/), but I will detail some highlights below

Flight: American Airlines – Never again. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and regret it.

South coast beaches: My friend and I were a bit worried about rough water, but the south coast beaches were fine for us. The sand was beautiful; soft, white sand with hues of pink. I actually found it to be pinker than the sand in Bermuda.

We visited Enteprise Beach, Rockley Beach, Dover Beach, and Maxwell. Maxwell beach was absolutely beautiful and one of our favorites. Dover and Rockley were nice but a bit busy for our taste. Enterprise was my personal favorite. There was an area with small – medium waves (typical for the south coast) and a little bay area that was completely calm and flat.

Excursions: The only excursion we did was the Jammin’ catamaran and it is highly recommended. They kept the drinks flowing, the crew was great, and the west coast was lovely. The sand on the west coast was not as nice as the south though.

St. Lawrence Gap: We ate in the Gap twice. Once at Café Sol for lunch (one of the best burritos I have ever had!) and we also had dinner at Harlequin. There are lots of nice places in the Gap to eat but Harlequin seems to be one of the better values. The food was great as was the ambience. We were lucky enough to eat outside.

All in all we had a lovely trip. Barbados is a beautiful island and Bajans are extremely friendly. We won’t be returning anytime soon as there are more places I’d like to visit, but I would love to return one day in the future since we weren’t able to visit the East coast.

Two things I want to note:

1.) We traveled with a same sex couple and we had no problems at all. Everyone was friendly, courteous, and helpful to everyone in our group.
2.) We weren’t harassed on the beach by vendors/peddlers trying to sell things. We were only approached about two times the entire trip.
3.) We walked all over the place and took public transportation (in the morning, during the day, at night) and had no problems at all with safety.
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 07:01 AM

I went to your link and it said that this page doesn't exist.
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Sorry! The " )" symbol attached itself to the link.

EDIT: Corrected link

http://writeanothertravelingsong.blogspot.com/
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 12:35 PM
KVR

"Flight: American Airlines – Never again. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and regret it."

I'm sorry, but I had to laugh out loud. Only because our last 2 vacations with AA, we got screwed big time. I hate that airline with a purple passion. That is one of the main reasons why we have not made it to Barbados, as I swear we will never step foot on another one of thier planes again. So, unless we take a cruise out of San Juan, I don't know how to get there from our depaturate airport.

Beautiful photos. Glad you had a great trip in spite of AA.
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

AA is the worst. There were people on the plane who ALMOST missed their cruise ship because our flight was so delayed. I’m a little worried because I have a US AIRWAYS card and they just bought AA. I guess we will see what happens. I’ll never fly them by choice again.

Barbados is a beautiful country. Hopefully you can make it out there one day.
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 06:57 PM
KVR

In December, 2011, we were 12 hours late getting to Jamaica because of their delays. We finally arrived at 3am. We missed a whole day of our paid vacation and recieved nothing for it. To add insult to injury they broke the wheels off both of our suitcases. I filed a claim and was basically told "too bad for you".

This past December, we missed our connection in Dallas coming out of Cabo San Lucas due to their delays again. Had to pay for a hotel and then they put us on stand by with no guarentee of getting a flight out for 2 days. Beyond unacceptable. Worst customer service attitude I have ever experienced from any company. They plainly do not care about their passengers. Fortunately, we were close enough home to rent a car and drive home. Filed a formal complaint and was provided a $100 voucher for our next flight with them. Obviously they did not "get it". Told them they could stick their voucher where the sun does not shine. (not in those exact words. It was way more explicit) I insited they refund the additional monies spent due to their incompetance. Never heard from them again. Not surprising. Their horibble customer service and business practices is what put them in their position in the first place. I don't appreciate they basically have a monopoly in whether or not people get so some destinations or not. Hoping things will change. I've read horrid stories about US Air also, so not looking hopefully for that option.

Southwest is starting to branch out to Mexico and the Caribbean out of Texas. Their flight schedule is one thing that is determining our vacation for this year.
Old Mar 17th, 2013, 03:40 PM

Thanks for the share. We visited Barbados earlier this year. We are looking for a new island next year but this post makes me want to go back!
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 06:34 AM

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Pity about the American Airlines bit but so glad you enjoyed yourself in Barbados! Hope you'll make it back someday to explore the east coast.

Happy travels!
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 06:22 PM

I'm happy you enjoyed Barbados and I really liked your write up on your blog space.

Hopefully AA will improve .....

All the Best,