Loved St. Kitts!

Jul 8th, 2007, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Loved St. Kitts!

Just returned from my birthday celebration on St. Kitts. This trip was my first to a carribbean island and let me tell you I'm hooked on St. Kitts. We stayed at Sealofts which was perfect for us. The people on the island are friendly and helpful especially our cab driver, Leroy. He showed us this wonderful island and gave us an inside view of the island and the people who live there. We did a rainforest hike with Greg's Safari's. Greg is very passionate about saving rainforests and was an excellent host. We went to Turtle Beach for the Ocean Fest which was an amazing experience. Everyone knew everyone! Say monkeys and Wilbur the pig. Day trip to Nevis was great. Our cab driver, Curt Lee was and excellent guide. We stopped at all the plantations which are so beautiful but each has a different feel. We also had Leroy take us around St. Kitts to see the Black Rocks, Carribelle Batik, and the fortress. I recommend Spratnet for lobster. They are only open Wed-Sun and go early because we were told they get quite crowded and may run out of the lobster. We had a great island adventure on St. Kitts/Nevis. The week just flew by and now I'm feeling like it was just a dream. I can't wait to do it again! Thanks to all who guided me on this forum. Your help made my trip perfect!
Jul 8th, 2007, 06:37 AM
iw

I am so glad that you enjoyed your trip. We just got back, too. I know what you mean about it feeling like a dream. I keep asking my husband if we really had vacation yet.
Leroy was our driver, too. He is a very kind man.
Jul 8th, 2007, 06:43 AM

Glad you had a wonderful time! I agree, people in St. Kitts are one of the friendliest we have met in our travels.

When you went to Spratnet, did you drive or take a cab?
Jul 8th, 2007, 03:58 PM

Glad to read you enjoyed your trip to St. Kitts. Seems like it was a good choice for your first visit to the Caribbean.

I do have a question for you, though. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I thought it was illegal to serve fresh lobster for most of the summer on most islands?
Jul 8th, 2007, 07:06 PM
iw

ej....I am perplexed....We had lobster twice on our trip/s....?

Jul 9th, 2007, 04:53 AM

Hmmm...maybe it's not every island, then. But usually when I travel in the summer months I expect no fresh lobster on the menu because it's unlawful to harvest it during those months--something like it's breeding season. Plus they don't want to overharvest it in general. So only frozen lobster served during those times...

I'm not an especially big fan of lobster anyway, so it doesn't usually affect the way I would order in a restaurant. But I support the practice of not harvesting it year-round if that means lobster won't become like red snapper, grouper, etc and close to being endangered.
Jul 9th, 2007, 05:35 AM
iw

Huh, I had no idea. You brought up a good point. What we had could have been frozen I wouldn't have known it. The first dish was a lobster tail at lunch from Chevy's and there was a seafood dish which had some lobster in it.
I had heard that at Sprat Net, you choose your own from a tank, but we didn't make it out there.
Jul 9th, 2007, 08:13 AM

On some islands, it means that you will be getting frozen local lobster. The "catching?" of lobster out of season is prohibited. Resorts that promote lobster out of season, may be rationing available frozen supply?
Jul 9th, 2007, 10:13 AM

I'm pretty sure the rule is that it is ok to fish for lobster in months that end with "r", so I'm betting you had frozen...

I've been to Sprat Net and ordered lobster and I didn't get to pick it out of a tank. But it sure was good!
Jul 9th, 2007, 10:52 AM

I quite liked St Kitts but on our way back from the fort we passed some houses and the local people gave us some dirty looks because we were white and presumably rich.
Jul 9th, 2007, 10:52 AM

Glad you enjoyed your stay in St. Kitts! Where did you stay?

My family is from St. Kitts and I have been going down since I was a baby.

I too enjoyed Greg's Safaris and Turtle Beach is always on the top of my list of restaurants to visit.

You should post your review on the forum at www.myislands.myeyez.net

Jul 9th, 2007, 10:54 AM

Just realized that you stayed at Sealofts. Friends of mine own one of the units, and I too found them very comfortable.

Did you make it down to Mr. X's Shiggidy Shack?

Jul 10th, 2007, 08:00 AM

Regarding serving lobster in the summer a friend of mine is a fisherman in St. Kitts and sent me the following e-mail.

"it is illegal but nobody enforces the law. It is their breeding season so they are very scarce."

Jul 10th, 2007, 03:47 PM

Some restaurants take lobster off the menu from May to November.
Jul 11th, 2007, 05:45 AM
iw

For the lobster, I remember that is was being offered in Nevis 3 weeks ago. Interesting....
Jul 11th, 2007, 11:51 AM

Never heard of it being unlawful to harvest lobster. Turtles yes !
Most of the beach bars of St Kitts & Nevis have lobster season thru. You'll find that during the low season because there are not many people on the islands, the hotels slow down on the stocking of lobster. You will definatley always find it at the local beach bars though.
Jul 14th, 2007, 03:47 AM
Original Poster

MyMoosie- we took a cab to Carribelle Batik for some shopping and walked around the gardens until Spratnet opened. We saw a large family of monkeys in the gardens! We walked to Spratnet from the gardens. It wasn't very far. Walking was interesting as we were probably the only tourists who were walking in Old Town Road. 2 white female tourists walking through this village probably gave the locals something to talk about. I just said hello to people we passed and they usually repsonded with a friendly hello. One woman called out "Hello" to us from her home. An elderly woman stopped us from her doorway and asked where we were from. We had a nice conversation with her. She told us she was 90 years old and had sisters also in their 90's. She was a nurse on the island for many years. My sister was a little nervous walking through the village as we were not sure how we would be perceived. No one showed a negativity toward us. I'm glad we had the experience. As far as the lobster issue, I have no idea if it's illegal or not. But the lobster was fresh at Spratnet. We did not choose the lobster from a tank. SKBfan- Yes we did make it to Mr. X's Shiggidy Shack several times. The bonfire and "Fireman" were special. The best night there was having dinner on the beach with the full moon overhead. It was perfect. It must be nice to have family on the island. What a great home away from home!
Jul 14th, 2007, 08:07 AM

Thanks for the trip report! Both islands are on our list. For some reason, Nevis appeals to me so much more. I think we'll likely to split our stay whenever we go. Didn't know about the lobster law. Things you learn on Fodor's.