Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Looking to rent for a month. Which Island? What Beach?

Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would like to surprise my wife with a 40th anniversary gift of a month (February) in the Bahamas (or will take suggestions for elsewhere in the Caribbean). 2 weeks to ourselves and a week each for our two daughters and their respective families.

Looking to spend $10,000 or less on the rental (figure I might as well blow it all for the occasion) and have a place that overlooks the water and is accessible to a nice beach.

Requirements are... safe, bright, airy, spotless, peaceful 3 BR, 2 or 3BA. Would like to be near a good selection of nice restaurants and not terribly far from scenic spots that we can take day trips to. Would rather not be near family beaches with lots of kids.

Hoping I am not asking for too much but want it to be a memorable occasion for everyone. I'll worry about paying the credit card bills when we get back.

Thanks a bunch.
Steve
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 06:07 AM

hi steve, what a wonderful gift idea!!
in bahamas air temps will be in high 70's in early feb. very low 80's towards end of month. as well the water temp will be cool for much snorkeling or swimming. possibly not the island experience you are anticipating.

grand cayman might be an option. temps in low to mid 80's, many dining options, safe, easy to travel to. you might look at villas on the north side in the rum point/cayman kai/kaibo area. biggest draw back would be that it takes almost 45 mins to drive to seven mile beach area of island where many of the restaurants are. a good company is: http://caymanvillas.com/
an option might be to get a 2 br condo at kaibo yacht club - gorgeous units. also on seven mile beach are several very well reviewed condos - villas of the galleon & plantana for example. read reviews of both condo's on fodors or trip advisor.

another option might be st. john, usvi. by far most visitors rent villas on this island as there are only 2 main resorts (westin & caneel). very few houses are beachfront but almost all have spectacular ocean view & pools. lots of beaches to explore - would definetly require a rental car. the ferry between st. john & st. thomas takes only about 20 mins so access to all the shopping and activities of st. thomas is easy. also ferry available to visit tortola, virgin gorda, rest of bvi's.

or maya riviera coast south of cancun. this area is loaded with villas and activities. excellent source of info is locogringo.com and more villas at bill-in-tulsa.com these houses are beach & ocean front so be careful to look for the words Beachfront on the houses. the houses are well cared for and most come with a couple who live on site in casita to do housekeeping, pool/beach maintenance, etc. a lot of these houses also come with a nightwatchman. i would have felt perfectly safe without the guard (clg student) and he did interfere with our skinny dipping plans, but also made us cunning animals out of palm fronds - not sure if it would make you feel more safe or less in that owners feel the need to pay for gaurds. as for activities - there is more to do in this area than you could manage even with a full month. everything from golf to zip lines to ruins to duty free shopping in playa del carman.

barbados is another island with alot going on, beautiful beaches and plenty of rental villas. i have not been yet but good friend has had great results for 10 yrs renting through bajanservices.com her favorite beaches to stay on are gibbs & mullins. lots of restaurants and fun town called the gap.
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 12:12 PM

Given the economy, you should be able to find something in your price range -- don't be put off by weekly rents that are higher than $2,500 (many of them will be for a house that size in high season), call the company and make a deal. Most owners would be delighted to have a guaranteed month rental from one customer and will give a significant discount for a month. I was recently looking at St. Croix and they seemed to have some very nice and reasonably priced villas, St. John is also a great suggestion but probably pricier. What a nice idea your family is very lucky!
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 06:49 PM

I'd suggest you look into Eleuthera and Harbour Island in the Bahamas as good choices for your trip.

You can fly directly into Nassau and either take a Bahamas Air or Ferry over to Eleuthera and cab to wherever you are staying.

Eleuthera is VERY laid back and you have to make your own fun, but the beaches are some of the best in the world. There are a few restaurants and grocery stores on island so you can go out or cook in.

Harbour Island is a bit more upscale and the prices will be be a bit higher, but there's more activities and nite life as well as several restaurants cheap-expensive.

Take a look at some of these websites and if you need more info let me know.

www.myharbourisland.com
www.eleu.net
www.twinpalms.com (will double check that one) 2 houses for rent on Island.

Also check www.coralsands.com. They have 2 houses for rent and it should be close to your price range.

Hope this helps.