Reload this Page >

Looking for warmth and friendliness

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 1999, 05:35 AM
Joel

My wife and I have visited the Caribbean many times, always to USVI, BVI, Puerto Rico, or Jamaica. We want to go somewhere entirely new and are looking for ambiance, warmth, and friendliness. Budget not much of an issue, but that doesn't mean we're seeking luxury. We mostly want an island that is friendly and genuine like the BVI, where people are being their natural selves; where there is a lot of natural beauty like Jamaica and it's not overdeveloped like USVI now is. What island(s)can you recommend that fills that bill? We're open to hearing your definition of ambiance and, of course, your choice. We have decided to choose based on the response that is most attractive.

Old Aug 15th, 1999, 06:36 AM
Decent Tropical

Consider Dominica and Grenada. <BR> <BR>See my post "My List of URL's" for urls's.

Old Aug 15th, 1999, 06:37 AM
Decent Tropical

You might also want to consider Saba if you can do without beaches.

Old Aug 15th, 1999, 06:38 AM
Decent Tropical

You might also want to consider Saba if you can do without beaches.

Old Aug 15th, 1999, 10:31 AM
Peggy

Well I have found more places like you describe in the South Pacific than in the Caribbean, though I agree the BVIs are great. I find the answers to all your questions in Rarotonga, Cook Islands. Small clean island, no malaria or poisonious insects/animals, great island bus service, safe water, good food, good snorkeling at Muri Beach, safe/fun atmosphere, great Friday pub crawls & friendly Cook Islanders & Kiwis. Several outer islands also, best being Aukitaki. Well I know this doesn't belong on the Caribbean forum but it would be my answer

Old Aug 15th, 1999, 03:49 PM
Charlie

Hi Joel ! I've covered most of the Caribbean over the last 10/12 years and found most places quite nice but the place I feel most meets your needs is not quite in the Caribbean.Bermuda,I've found to be the cleanest,safest and friendliest island to visit in the Caribbean area.True,there are some prettier,some wealthier but usually are lacking in some other area.Bermuda,overall,has it all.

Old Aug 15th, 1999, 04:18 PM
leslie

We have found warmth and freindliness in both St. Lucia and Bahamas (Nassau). We especially were fond of the st. Lucian people as they were quite 'geniune' and shy, but lovely to talk to and very proud of their island. If you are looking for a truly unique and 'exotic' holiday I would suggest Anse Chastanet in Soufriere, St. Lucia (located within view of the twin Piton mountains and on the 'best' beach in st. lucia for snorkeling and scuba). <BR>www.ansechastanet.com We haven't stayed here but if we ever return to St. Lucia this will be the next place we try. We stayed at Sandals Halcyon near Castries and experienced a wonderful holiday and recommend this resort also, but I think you are looking for something more dramatic and 'peaceful'. Soufriere area in St. Lucia is by far one of the most beautiful places in the world in our opinion, and the people of St. Lucia make the island special too.

Old Aug 15th, 1999, 04:49 PM
Cathy

Warmth and friendliness are the very two things that keep me going back to Barbados year after year. Some of my other favorites have also been mentioned in other responses, and I see that you will have your work cut out for you here! But for me the choice is clear. From the smiles of the uniformed children playing in the schoolyards, and sometimes even greeting you at the airport, to the taxi drivers who recognize you in town and give a wave, after your first ride to the hotel a week before, you can feel the warmth of this island's people. The ambiance is relaxed, casual and carefree. Sitting seaside with a cool drink, soothing soft breezes and the song of the tree frogs getting louder as the sun sets is a nightly ritual for us after a perfect day of snorkeling, swimming or touring the beautiful countryside. The west coast is calm and quiet, the south coast a little rougher with a bit more activity at night, and the east coast is rugged and untouched. For me, Barbados has it all....

Old Aug 16th, 1999, 06:13 AM
Carl

I traveled among many Caribbean islands as part of my occupation and found Barbados to be most the appealing because the people were the freindliest. I then lived in Bermuda for an extended period and found those people to also be very outgoing and freindly. Bermuda is particularily attractive because it does not have the poverty often seen on Caribbean Islands and is in many ways more beautiful. It is however quite developed - but not in the "Miami" sense. There are no high rises and cruise ships are limited. The best hotels are the small ones and best and most uncrowded beaches are public and free. Look at "www.bermuda-online.com" for some ideas. Enjoy your vacation wherever you choose to go!