Looking for Out Island recommendation

Mar 14th, 2018, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Looking for Out Island recommendation

Hello

New to these boards and looking to get a recommendation for an out island to visit with my husband. We are going for a short trip, 4 nights, budget would likely be max $400/night for hotel. We are more of a fan of boutique hotels and like to stay away from all inclusive.

We traveled to Elbow Cay for our honeymoon and would like to replicate something that feels like that.

Looking for smaller island navigable by golf by golf cart instead of car. Not big on activities beyond snorkeling at this point.

Just overwhelming with the sheer amount of places to go!

Thanks for any help!!
Mar 15th, 2018, 05:02 AM

I don't know when your honeymoon was, so I can't say how much (if at all) Elbow Cay has changed since then. In my experience over the years, it's gotten a bit more popular and a bit more groomed. But if you like the feel of a settlement with options for dining, consider Green Turtle Cay in the Abacos -- my personal favorite. The Green Turtle Club is a great little hotel, though it's not on the beach. If it's beachfront you want, you might consider renting a cottage. If you get a boat, there are so many cool places north of GTC to explore. Alternatively, a little less "developed" (that being a very relating term!) in the Abacos, there is Great Guana Cay.

I would suggest some of the other Out Islands if you were staying for a longer time. Unless you can get reasonable flights to Georgetown (giving you the Exumas), most of them take long enough to reach that you'd want a longer visit to justify the travel time. If you can get to Georgetown, Great Exuma is AMAZING. I don't know much about the inns and hotels there, but again, you might consider renting a cottage.
Mar 15th, 2018, 10:53 AM

Harbour island in Eleuthera - similar to Elbow but I'd say more upscale. The beach on HI which stretches the whole island is a beautiful pink sand beach. You could take a boat over to mainland Eleuthera and explore the multiple beaches all over Eleuthera.
I'm going to Green turtle in a few weeks and can post more - but as Callaloo mentions I expect it to be quieter than Elbow.
Also going to the out islnds for 4 nights may not be worth the min 2 flights to get there. You should stretch by at least one more day.
Mar 16th, 2018, 11:01 AM

We will be in Hopetown next week and I think if you love it, think it’s special then congratulations you hit the jackpot and don’t bother looking further.

Every time we try a new location in the Caribbean it just can’t match Hopetown for us. Some places are too isolated with few restaurants, some over developed, too expensive for what they offer or some have a “affected crowd”.

Id agree that HI has a similar look but it’s definitely more upmarket and I’d include it in the affected crowd category.
Mar 17th, 2018, 07:12 PM

Where are you traveling FROM? It would help as far as knowing what your travel time and connections could be. I am not a particular fan of HI myself but agree with the suggestions of GTC and Georgetown, Exuma- tell us where your "home" airport is for more help. Love the out islands but as Callalou said, it is not necessarily for a short visit if you have a lot of travel to do. Like Callalou, I am wondering how many years ago your honeymoon on Elbow Cay might have been. Hopetown was my "first love" in the out islands but it was many, many years ago and it has changed a great deal for me personally.

Search this Thread