Looking for luxury in the Caribbean

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're thinking about St. Martin next year, but open to other suggestions! we're looking for amazing beaches at a resort with spa/fitness, walk to the beach, access to bar/restaurants and complete bliss! Willing to spend more if we can find pure magic!

Thanks!
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 02:24 PM

Why not try the Atlantis Resort in Paradise Island in the Caribbean? I haven't been there, but the reviews sound wonderful on Trip Advisor.
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 03:14 PM

Peter Island Resort should do it less a full service spa. Everything else if go when most kids are in school though PI does not get over-run with children based on 2 visits.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 05:14 AM

Peter Island has a fabulous full service spa -- may be the the best part of the place!

The Diva would recommend Parrot Cay in T&C or Cap Juluca in Anguilla. Cap would give you access to more local restaurants than PC (which is on an island to itself). Both are ultimate luxury (assuming you choose an upgraded room)!
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 06:33 AM

Psyched Diva: Since we've been considering PI for our 2007 vacation (doing St John for the umpteenth time this December), I hope you'll elaborate a bit on what you did not find especially appealing abt Peter Island. I find the "negative" details abt a resort as illuminating and helpful as the postive. Obviously, diff things are impt to diff people-- and that's why I appreciate hearing all views. Thanks! (We did Little Dix and Mahoe Bay last time; thought maybe to do Mahoe again and split time with PI for '07.)
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 06:47 AM

IF you are seeking for some real luxury with a private island feel I highly recommend you see this villa. We stayed there and had the time of our lives, they will arrange chef service, a romantic package and it is truly a breathtaking island with some real secluded beaches. Pictures really don't do justice, you must be there to appreciate. http://www.viequestravelguide.com/pu...-pictures.html

See the villa at http://www.viequestravelguide.com/ma...on-rental.html

Enjoy and have a great time, you will keep going year after year. Great place to invest in real estate too.

Old Aug 19th, 2006, 07:24 AM

Dont get the Diva wrong -- PI is a very nice resort. The Diva made the mistake of going during Easter Break and there were many many families. The beach is a little shorter that I would prefer, the beach service was poor and the pool was not as nice as others that I experienced (Parrot). Also the restaurant requires slacks, collared shirts and closed toe shoes for men (and they really enforce it). Diva's Boy Toy likes the flexibility to be a little more casual. The spa is world class, the rooms are comfortable, and the food is certainly good enough. The Diva rated it an 8 but just prefers Cap or Parrot. Hope this helps.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 10:26 AM

Thanks for replying, Diva. I get the picture. And I'd love to visit Cap and Anguilla-- tho suspect it'll never happen because of the snorkeling dearth. Not so interested in T&C.. Thanks again for helpful details.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Ike

My wife and I spent a week at Cap Juluca in May and had a fantastic time. CJ is a great resort with a beautiful beach and very nice rooms. The food on Anguilla is as good as I ever had on any trip and it's so quiet and laid back. I really love AXA. You can take a ferry over to St. Maarten for a day trip to shop and have lunch then return to paradise.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Ike

Escape one other thought. Fly to SXM take the ferry to AXA and stay at CJ, Cuisinart of Malliouhana but I like CJ. After 4/5/6 days go back to SXM and stay at La Samanna for a few nights before you fly home from SXM.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 12:26 PM

I can heartily recommend the 4 Seasons on Nevis for luxurious accommodation and one of the best spas ever visited. Pricey but generally worth it. If money is no object, the 4 Seasons also rents private villas c/w private pools...very posh! Magic island, magic beaches and very friendly/hospitable locals. Cheers, Richard.
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Wow! Thanks for the great suggestions -- Cap Juluca seems to get some rave reviews! We're planning on going to St. martin for week, with a day trip to Anguilla. Maybe we should do the reverse??
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Ike

Escape where are you staying in St. Martin or is it St. Maarten. You can stay on two sides of the island you know. La Samana is on the French side. Listen to me. You need to say the first half of your trip on Anguilla and then go to La Samanna. That way you are on SXM for your flight home and you won't have to go back on the ferry.
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Ike! I find myself leaning toward this idea (i'm driving my husband crazy ;-)). I was just looking at Cap Jaluca's site and it's just a bit more expensive than we can manage this year. Right now, we have a room reserved at Le Petit Hotel in Grand Case, SXM. I'm torn between Le Petit and the Alamanda. La Samanan looks amazing, but pricier than we had planned. So rather than just spending a day in Anguilla, it sounds like a few days is ideal? Any feedback on Le Petit vs Alamanda? I know Alamanda is on Orient Beach, as compared with Le Petit on Grand Case.

Thanks so much for your feedback!