Reload this Page >

Looking for great resort hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2000, 09:44 AM
donna

We are going to Jamaica in October (with our 1 yr old and 4 yr old) and would like recommendations for best resort hotels. We don't need a kids program,since the kids hang out with us. Would like a good beach, nice pool, and great food. <BR> <BR>Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks. <BR>

Old Jul 30th, 2000, 01:11 PM
sandi

Donna, <BR>Please allow me these words of concern, based on comments I have read on previous Jamaica boards and my local paper, the Sunday Star Ledger July 30,2000, page 19. I have never been to Jamaica, but it appears from the recent postings that there may be some anti-tourist sentiments growing among people who are looking for trouble on that island! Teh Star Ledger article says that on May 27th, 2000, an editor from Frommers Travel guides disappeared, during a stay at Sandals Negril, and foul play is suspected. Her family lives in Morristown, New Jersey, the news article says, and if anyone has info about this they should call toll-free: 1.888.967.9300. <BR>Anyway, having heard about this since late May, I would be cautious about going to Jamaica, especially since some posters here have also remarked about growing crime.

Old Jul 31st, 2000, 06:23 AM
Dawn Duesbury

Hi: I just read that one person seems to have some great concerns regarding the safety of tourists on the island of Jamaica. My husband and I have been going to Jamaica for many, many years. We go to our favorite island at least three times per year. We have never encountered any problems with the people of Jamaica. We have many Jamaican friends and frequently eat and drink in their local establishments. On may occassions I am the only female at some of the local night spots and have never had any problems. I will admit however that I have gone to great lengths to learn the Jamaican Patrois and that seems to open many doors for us. We took my cousins 2 young children, aged 8 and 10 to Boschobel Beach a few years back and they really enjoyed themselves. My husband and I recently were at Trelawny Beach and ventured over to the new F.D.R. resort and it looked very nice. We talked to many people there and they all seemed to enjoy themselves. The atmosphere reminded me of summer camp. It looked like fun for children. I have not been to the Holiday Inn but I have had many friends that have gone and they enjoyed it there also. Like anywhere in the world there is always the potential for trouble, however, I feel that if you use common sense you should have no trouble. If you have any other questions, please e-mail. [email protected]

Old Aug 1st, 2000, 06:05 PM
Keely

When I was doing research for our vacation, I came across Coyaba, a small luxury resort in Montego Bay. Though they don't have an "official" program for kids, the owners have young kids of their own and they are always on site. It sounds like a lovely place and it is moderately priced. Their site is coyabajamaica.com. <BR>

Old Aug 3rd, 2000, 01:56 PM
Diane

While I really think of Negril as an adult paradise, our favorite hotel there understands needs of families (the owners have young grandchildren). It is the Charela Inn. www.charela.com <BR>The rooms are lovely (and they have several special family suite arrangements), the staff is exceptional, and the food in the restaurant is the best on the island. It is the only place on earth where I've ever even considered taking the meal plan! The beach is wonderful and the small pool is nice too (but you will likely spend more time on the beach). There are plenty of palms and seagrapes for shade. The water is calm and clear and wonderful.