Looking for Good Restaurants in St. Thomas

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 08:39 AM
Teresa

Looking for Good Restaurants in St. Thomas

I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for restaurants to eat at in St. Thomas. I am specifically looking for a restaurant to hold a small wedding rehearsal dinner or reception. Thanks.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 09:36 AM
Karen

There are many good to great restaurants to choose from. You didn't say how "small" your party was so these should accomodate easily. One of my favorites is Old Stone Farm House out by the golf course. Haven't been since 1829 and BlackBeard's merged but the new chef at BlackBeard's has a long history with excellent restaurants and it has a grand view of the harbour from the Terrace. On East End, there is Off the Hook (formerly Cafe Wahoo) which is good and is in a marina and is more casual. Also Blue Moon Cafe at Secret Harbour right on the beach would be a great spot too. Less casual would be Room with a View at BlueBeard's and is indoors. Romano's in Smith Bay for Italian. If your guests are all staying at one place, it might be good to find a nearby place.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 09:56 AM
Teresa

Thanks. There will probably be about 15 of us. We are staying at the Marriott Frenchman's Reef. Is there anything nice close to that?

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 10:12 AM
Julie

Virgilio's is in Charlotte Amalie, which is near where you are staying, and is supposed to have the best Italian food on the island. Here is some info on it: http://www.vibj.com/qt/971024-virgilio.html

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 01:52 PM
D&K

Teresa, Do you want ambiance? Authentic oldworld style? Island style?<BR>

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 03:19 PM
taster

DK is on the right track about what you'd really like to have - there's such an eclectic mixture of restaurants on the island and that should determine your choice rather than the location because it's a BITTY LITTLE PLACE and getting from A to B isn't too difficult! If I were you - apart from asking for more recommendations with more specifics from you in this forum - I'd agree with Karen's suggestion of Old Stone Farmhouse and would also approach Raffles at Compass Point.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 03:33 PM
Teresa

Thanks for all the help. I was really looking for something nice and elegant, preferably with a view of the water. I prefer seafood, steaks or Island style. I keep hearing good things about Craig & Sally's and Agave Terrace(??, not sure if that's right). Please, keep all suggestions coming.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 03:46 PM
taster

Oops! Yes, Craig and Sally's should also be on your list. They're In Frenchtown and although there's no view, the food is consistently excellent. Agave has a great view and gentle ambiance but the "resident chef" changes all the time - I think Patrick from Raffles Restaurant mentioned this in another post on this same forum. Karen mentioned 1829 in some context but it's unfortunate that the owners of 1829 took over Blackbeards and have thus far not re-opened 1829 which was always an island classic. I would also recommend The Banana Tree Grille at Bluebeards. Liz and Jerry Buckalew have been doing their thing for years and have had a wonderful chef for several years now. It's delightfully elegant - and has a lovely view. Keep talking and asking!

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 03:59 PM
Karen

Craig and Sally's is in FrenchTown so you would travel thru Charlotte Amalie on the way to the airport. It is a very popular restaurant that features an excellent wine list. I have the feeling that one often goes there becuase it is one of THE places to go. It was okay but not one of my favs. I prefer in FrenchTown, Alexander's. It is small tho but he does cater private parties which are excellent at a villa which is rented for the event. Ah! I forgot about Raffles. Have heard wonderful things about it with the new owner!! Not really a view of the water but out on their "porch" there is a bit of water you see thru the foliage (but not the view you might have from another spot). Agave seems to run hot and cold and the last two times convinced me that there were much better places. I'm not hurrying back anytime soon! Altho have to admit they do have a good wine list and great views if you are on their deck at the rail (and have an excellent salad)! You can mix and match entrees with two different items but it just wasn't great or special! Virgilio's is in Charlotte Amalie and is a very ecclectic fun Italian. But that's not my favorite cuisine and suspect that it would be less expensive than Romano's which is lovely but again, no view. Old Stone Farm House in the dark you can't even see the golf course so there is no view but it is one of my all time favorites despite no view! You could be a bit adventuresome and do a dinner at Cuzzin's for local cusine and follow it with dessert elsewhere too! Might be an interesting "traveling dinner." I used to do that followed by a souffle at 1829 but since the restaurant there is closed (but may reopen for season I hear - but it's SEASON!!) and BlackBeard's doesn't have souffles on the menu (but bet Pat would fix you up special if you prearranged it!).