Looking for affordable Caribbean getaway

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2005, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boyfriend and I are looking for a 6-7 night vacation in either the Caribbean or somewhere quiet on the Yucatan. We're young (26) and on a budget, but looking to avoid the collegiate spring break scene. While we dream of overwater bungalows, we'd realistically prefer to spend around $3k total, have been to the Bahamas to the point of exhaustion, loved St. Martin, and are looking for a similarly friendly, gorgeous, and interesting locale. And, of course, we want a white sandy beach with attentive waiters bringing us endless, umbrella-laden drinks. Any advice on locales and where to hunt down the best packages would be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 01:03 AM

Playa del Carmen/Deseo Hotel/Yucatan,an hour south of Cancun.
Old Mar 23rd, 2005, 04:14 AM

Also check out Isla Mujures which is a small island off Cancun.
Old Mar 24th, 2005, 05:15 AM

My husband and I are both 25 and we love St.John....we're going back for our 4th time this summer. We rent villas through Private Homes for Private Vacations (www.privatehomesvi.com) and if you go in the off season (I think May-Dec) it is not a bad price. Once we stayed at Gallows Point (alittle more pricey as I remember, but really nice). When we were there we were able to just get taxis to the beach, but with the villas you would need to rent a car. There is absolutely no spring break scene. We don't like that either! However, if St.John doesn't offer enough night life, you can take the short ferry ride over to St.Thomas. We are going to St.John in August and for the house, we are spending $1400 and total for tickets were $700 (we got them at a really good rate)....so with alittle extra spending money, we won't go much over your $3K total. The nice thing about the US Virgin islands and renting a villa is that you can bring a cooler of food. We bring steaks, chicken, pasta, everything we need for food so that we don't feel like we HAVE to go out for meals (although we usually do). There are many different villa agencies you can go through. It is a beautiful island with great areas to explore....the locals are really friendly and if you are looking to relax, it would be a great place for you!
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 03:35 AM

I second the St. John suggestion and think you might like the Mahlo Bay resort there.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 02:59 PM

check out www.aa.com,2005 carribean sale. they have a 35% off sale going on to some really great islands. Two really good ones in Turks & Caicos,Coral Gardens which I have seen and Royal WEST Indies which I have stayed at. I think you have to book by 3-39-05.
Old Mar 25th, 2005, 04:01 PM

I second Cooper's AAVacations suggestion. I booked T&C's Royal West Indies for a week in May for $1950 total for two adults, and that's coming from New Orleans! If you're interested you need to jump on that b/c I noticed the other day that the room I booked (the cheapest; Botanical Studio) is no longer available.

I also noticed that there is a good Cabo sale going on that I think just started this week. I looked yesterday at AAVacations for that as well just b/c I was curious and got a rate of $2400 for the All Inclusive Presidente Intercontinental (two adults w/airfare from NO). I looked on tripadvisor and it gets good reviews. That would be well below your budget.

Good luck planning!