Looking for a Caribbean Vacation Ideas

Old Jun 25th, 1997, 04:34 AM
Melissa

Looking for a Caribbean Vacation Ideas

3 couples (late 30's) are looking for a moderately priced caribbean vacation destination for Oct.97. We want to be on the beach and don't need all-inclusive of there are good restaurants in the area. We have been to Cancun (loved the freedom to move about the area) and to Montego Bay (loved the Sandal's resort but hated not being able to safely leave the resort).
All ideas will be greatly appreciated!!! We want to have some ideas of out own before we approach a travel agent.

Old Jun 25th, 1997, 01:03 PM
Jean E. Bowers

I was just in Jamaica and left the property of the Wyndham Rose Hall Hotel many times. The trick there is to hire a driver. The person I hired is a friend of one of the Bell Captains employed by the hotel. I had his cell phone number and called when ever I needed to go someplace. One day I toured the Rose Hall Great House, I also toured the Greenwood Great House. When going into town for dinner many of the restaurants will send a car for you and retur n you to the hotel after dinner. A person need only use good judgement when getting around in this coutry. If you are into snorkeling or some type of water event some of the prices include round trip transportation. Personally I would not wander around donwtown at night alone, but I wouldn't do that in major cities of the U.S. If you would like to have some information on the Wyndham I would be glad to supply it. It is a hotel I would recommend to my most dificult to please friends. If you really don't want to return have you considered a Windjammer Cruise. I was on the Polynesia last year and had a wonderful time. We started out in St. Maarten, went to Nevis, St. Kitts, St. Barths and Anguilla. Each island had something different to offer and you are extremely well taken care of. If I can help contact me.

Old Jun 27th, 1997, 01:16 PM
Louis Dameson

Take a serious look at Cooper Island in the British Virgin Islands and the Cooper Island Beach Club. The price is modest about $112 night for two or under $800 a week per person for 7 days including meals and room. You can find Cooper Island with a net search or at http://www.cooper-island.com/. All the info is there including pictures and lots of info about BVI. We have been there, snorkling is good for the area and dive boats leave from there. Food is good and you rooms have stove and refrig. if you want to fix a few things yourself. Easy to reserve since the owner lives in MA. This is small, so you need to reserve early for 3 couples. There are only 8 cabins as I remember. BVI is one of the most pleasant and safest spots in the Caribbean.It is more like the real Caribbean--no TV. If you have more money to spend, some of the private islands are highly reccommended in the area. If you want Disco,
night life-and typical resort type of jazz--go to Los Vegas, it is cheaper.

Old Jul 1st, 1997, 03:33 PM
karen zinck

Since October is hurricane season there are a lot of good deals in the carribean. Since Aruba is out of the hurricane belt you can't miss going to this faboulous island. Although normally an expensive island I would think at that time of year with all the other cheap deals you coudd get a good deal here. There are lots of great restaurants and numerous hotels on Palm Beach, (high rises) and Eagle Beach (low rises). Any place is close to town by local bus which is realiable, safe and cheap or taxi which is also reasonable. Excellent snorkelling and great gambling (if you win!!!). Have fun.

Old Jul 10th, 1997, 03:17 AM
Dale

I would suggest Aruba. It is safe, the people are friendly and it's out of the hurricane belt so you are more likely to have good weather. And good weather there is fabulaous. Sun and heat with a cooling tropical breeze. I suggest you check with a travel agent and look for a pakcage with a tour company. My wife and I booked with Apple Vacations and went for a week in May. $650 per person included air and seven nights at the Radisson Resort leaving from Chicago. It was low season, and as a result there was no crush of people at the pool or on the beaches.

I would suggest one of the high rise hotels. We liked the Radisson, but there is also the Wyndham, Marriot, Hyatt, Americana and others in the same area.

Old Jul 10th, 1997, 03:18 PM
Anne

How about a cruise? The "Norway" is on sail from now until December. Happy Vacation.

Old Jul 12th, 1997, 12:05 PM
jryan

My husband and I have been to many islands in the Caribbean and since you will be with other couples, give you the islands that have something for everyone. St. Martin offers lots of activities, and the two posts on Aruba are right on--from both of these islands, you can island hop on day trips. That is fun too. we loved St. Kitts and again, there is something for everyone and you can get to Nevis for a day trip as well or vica versa. Barbados is another islands that has alot to do--water activities, shopping, nature reserve, golf--
you might look into the Cayman Islands--again, something for everyone. If you are just into water and beach, there are other islands I would recommend. Have a great trip! I will be happy to answer any questions for you.

Old Jul 30th, 1997, 08:56 PM
Karen Malmberg

My husband and I loved Aruba. Virtually crime free cause everyone there is employed. Some wonderful beaches, excellent scuba diving and snorkelling as well as plenty of other water activities. Great place to kick back. Make sure you take a jeep tour around the island. It's a blast! Don't go all inclusive, too many great restaurants. We stayed at La Cabana and Caribbean Palm Village. Wouldn't really suggest La Cabana. Palm Village was nice. Off the beaten track. The only problem is it's about a 10-15 min. walk to the beach and you always have to wait for a taxi. Tons of hotels to chose from right on the beach. The Hyatt is gorgeous. Have a great trip wherever you go!

Old Aug 25th, 1997, 06:59 PM
Stan& Suzie Musick

We are going with 6 friends to Belize in Oct.
To get where your with the locals and resonable rates try looking in Placencia, the Nautical Inn will work with you on rates.Their e-mail is [email protected].
In Placencia you can go on many excursions, the rain forest, mayan ruins and the Monkey river or play on the beaches..
Another place is Cay Caulker this is a little island where they get around in golf carts, no cars. The room rates are approx $25/night per room. Food is reasonable and good.

Old Aug 26th, 1997, 03:29 PM
M.O.holte

Have you tried Puerto Rico, there is a great resort on the carribean side by the name of Palmas Del Mar outside of Humacao. The location is great to go to Ponce and several other of the cities on this side along with some snorkel trips and some wonderful people and sites. If this is not to your liking for a laid back restful vacation a little off the beaten path try Exuma, one of the out islands of the Bahamas. if you chose Exuma try the Peace and Plenty resorts there is one in the town and another one a couple of miles outside of the town. The people of this island are just great and do not forget to snorkel or dive the small Blue Hole (take a camera. if you need any more suggestion you can contact me at the above E-mail or through [email protected]. good hunting and have a great vacation where ever you end up going.

Old Aug 27th, 1997, 05:53 AM
TC

If you liked Cancun, try Cozumel. It is an island so has more of a Carribean feel. We've been going every winter for 6 years and have increased our stay from 1 to 3 weeks - still can't get enough. The island is a living coral reef so the snorkeling and diving is spectacular and easy to access. We just walk out the door of our condo and jump in to 30 ft. deep, crystal clear water that is simply alive with fish and coral. We snorkel 3 times a day. The Mayan people are warm and friendly. Virtually no crime. Lots of great restaurants and shopping in the small town of San Miguel because all the cruise ships stop there; but at night all those tourists go back to their ships and prepaid meals and we have the whole island to ourselves. One bedroom condo on the water cost us about $112 per night, but there are places in every price range.

Look at:
http://www.cozumel-villas.com
or
http://www.worldwidehotels.com/namer.../cp/index.html

Its tough to spend $25 US on dinner - that would get you a great meal with drinks, dessert and tip. Cabs are a flat $3 to anywhere on the island so you don't really even need a car. Well obviously I can rave on for ever. If you want more info, email me.