Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Lodging on Grand Cayman...recommendations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 1999, 11:59 AM
Elizabeth

I am planning a family vacation to Grand Cayman...Easter 2000. Price is a factor. <BR>Looking for beachfront...clean...kid friendly <BR>resort. All inclusive would be great. <BR>Anyone w/info on Spanish Bay Reef Resort? <BR>Seagull condomoniums? <BR>Villas of the Galleons? <BR>Marriot Resort? <BR>Others? <BR>Good snorkelling locations? <BR>Thanks. <BR>[email protected]

Old Sep 1st, 1999, 12:20 PM
Lori

Hi Elizabeth, If it's a family vacation you'll probably want a condo directly on 7 mile beach... it would be your best value since you can buy food & cook for breakfast, lunch and snacks which of course will help save dollars on eating out all the time. <BR> <BR>You may want to check out the following websites, if you haven't already. <BR> <BR>www.caymanislands.ky (this is the site for the Dept. of Tourism. Good information on lodgings, etc. - and they'll send you information along with a Rate & Fact Guide for the islands if you request it) <BR> <BR>Other good message boards besides Fodors is: <BR> <BR>www.traveltalk.com <BR>www.where2stay.com <BR> <BR>Post your message on them and you should get plenty of replies. <BR> <BR>Have fun in the Caymans. <BR> <BR>Lori

Old Sep 1st, 1999, 12:28 PM
Lori

Elizabeth, <BR> <BR>Also try, <BR> <BR>www.caymanvacations.com <BR> <BR>This site has pictures and rates of condos. <BR> <BR>LOri

Old Sep 1st, 1999, 02:31 PM
Jackie

Elizabeth, <BR> <BR>You've probably noticed by now that there are not a lot of all-incl. on GC. Spanish Bay is not on the beach, it is across the road. <BR>Getting around in GC is very easy if you rent a car and there are lots of places to eat with kids. Also you can buy almost anything you need in the local grocery store, like Foster's. <BR>I would recommend a condo over a hotel room but that may just be me - I hate sharing a room with my kids. Also GC is very expensive and it's nice to have a kitchen to eat in sometimes. We are looking at the Turtle Nest Inn for March 2000. It's on the south side, which is definitely away from the centre of things. It's right on the beach, has a pool and the price is right. So far my contact in the GC planning dept. has nothing negative to report. <BR>Good luck in your search, it's really half the fun!

Old Sep 2nd, 1999, 07:22 AM
ilisa

Do not stay at Spanish Bay. Do a search on this forum for Spanish Bay and you will see my previous comments on them. We stayed there in January, 1997 and it was horrible. The service was shoddy and the staff rude. The food was mediocre at best. The private beach was filthy. Also, the resort is very much off the beaten path. Grand Cayman, however, is fabulous. Please email me if you have any questions.

Old Sep 7th, 1999, 07:48 PM
Denice

We recently stayed at the Turtle Nest Inn (in fact we first heard about it right here in Fodor's Forum). My husband and I along with our three children rented a two bedroom unit and were EXTREMELY satisfied. It's a new inn located right on the beach with a swimming pool. Snorkeling was very good,daily maid service was excellent and the hospitality great. It's located away from the main tourist strip (Seven Mile Beach) but it's easy enough to travel around Grand Cayman if you rent a car. <BR>We brought most of our food with us but found the supermarkets to be clean and plentiful. <BR>We're planning a return trip sometime in June, 2000. The kids can't wait!