Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Location advice for Wedding/Honeymoon July 2006?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning to marry & honeymoon in the Caribbean in July 2006. We are currently trying to choose a location. We are looking for great beaches, friendly residents, ease of marriage requirements, great restaraunts. For comparison's sake- we love Aruba's Bucuti Resort on Eagle Beach. Any suggestions??
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 09:09 AM

Megan if you already know you love Aruba why not make arrangements to marry there? Or are you looking for something very different? Give a few more details like is there going to others attending or just you and he. Any preferences etc.
Sandy
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 06:33 PM

If you go to the site www.islandhideaways.com
on the uppper part of the page, right side, there's a section you can click for "dream weddings" with suggestions fopr villas, etc,

Congratulations, MegandandJ--wherever you chose!!!
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 09:13 PM

Aaaaarrgh! No, Not Bucuti Beach!!!!

We also loved it and stayed there in June 2004 for my 40th and our 22th wedding anniversary.

I was worried to find such relaxing resorts this year and while it took a lot of research: In May we stayed at Idle Awhile in Negril a wonderful funky little hotel with 13 rooms owned by the chap who owns the Couples resorts but it's not All-inclusive. It's in the center of the beach with lots of wonderful restaurants within walking distance (along the beach) or within easy reach using a taxi.

We then went to Jamaica Inn in Ochios Rios - also a small resort and incredibly relaxing wit it's own private beach and although we didn't pay for the all-inclusive option we did end up eating all our dinners there because the food was so amazing. We stayed in the basic verandah room - my personal view is that in a small resort you are unlikely to find major differences in the rooms and we were not disappointed, although we did upgrade to the Tara Suites at Bucuti.

I can't help you with the marriage requirements but Jamaica (especially the Jamaica Inn) has the rest of your requirements. To my suprise both of the resorts were very like their websites, the pictures were very accurate.

In August we took our 16yr old to Provo in the Turks and Caicos Islands and stayed at the Coral Gardens in a beachfront room.
A wonderful talcum powder beach with good snorkeling off the beach. Provo has very good restaurants. Not much to do on the island but then we weren't looking for too anything other than snorkeling and spending time with our son.

All of these resorts have input here - just type the name in the searchbar and you'll get lots of advice and trip reports.

Good look and happy planning
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 04:58 PM

You should also consider virgin Gorda in the beautiful virgin islands.